Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

1 on 1 Player Meetings and Rotation Change

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

After Franklin's game winner over ND:

Indiana guard Armaan Franklin (2) reacts with his teammates on the bench after hitting the game-winning three-point shot during the second half of game one against Notre Dame of the 2019 Crossroads Classic, Saturday, Dec. 21, 2019, at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Indiana won 62-60.

and...After a huge TJD put-back during our run against Northwestern:

82109488_1174689582736144_3724633228644974592_o.jpg

This is getting silly. De'Ron isn't the reason we're struggling this season. I don't care what his attitude might be, he's played the fewest minutes of anyone with a scholarship. It's the players on the court who aren't producing. De'Ron played just three minutes against Northwestern. He only played one minute in that Notre Dame game where we gave up a big lead. He only played two minutes in our loss to Arkansas. Against Maryland he played a season high 17 minutes and not the minutes when we completely fell apart. He actually finished +3 on the night, one of only three players to have a positive +/-. This amateur detective work taking place in several places across the internet is just looking for a scapegoat.

Let me pump some sunshine into this conversation:
Reading this thread, one might assume that things can only get better, and we're currently at 12-3.

If I hadn’t watched a single game, I’d think 12-3 were super super good and wonder why this team wasn’t in the top 25.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Right, otherwise we wouldn’t have been able to go to the NCAA tourney the past few years

I get the point but you have to have good academic standing to recruit as well. Hard to go tell a parent we don’t care about academics when you want to build a roster of guys who stay 3-4 years. Plus the university wouldn’t allow the APR to slip for spirting reasons. 

The transfer stuff was not in 1 on 1 meeting, it was in the locker room with every player after the Northwestern game. He screaming at them about playing hard and said if you are not going to play hard, play my way, then bring me your transfer papers and I will sign them, and find you a nice place to go play at. That is what I was told. Now I believe he did have some 1 on 1's but the transfer stuff was in front of everyone. 

This is great to hear because it highlights the reality that Archie is officially done with the BS. Hope this is the case.

You could see how good this team could be when they play with effort and intensity. Our defense went crazy on NW and dominated. I really hope the passion and intensity is there at all times, because without it I worry about this team making the tournament.

I wonder if Archie will have Devonte coming off the bench, which I think is the right move and it sends a message he is done with the lack of effort. While Phinisee and Armaan might not be consistent right now, but they bring a toughness to the team to build that momentum.

We will see!

57 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Because an attitude like that can be contagious.

You're right, he should have stood up and acted excited.  He's probably not excited to be getting walk-on minutes, but he should still support the team and pretend to be excited.  He didn't, but it doesn't look contagious as the one photo shows every other player standing and the other shows all players standing except for him and Devonte (who is clapping).  DeRon has always appeared to keep a good attitude through a lot of tough times while in Bloomington.  I'm sure he feels cheated, and it's probably not even that he feels cheated by the coaching staff or players...more likely that he expected to have a larger role (but injuries made his goals much more challenging) and he is now realizing his time is coming to an end.  I've not heard anything about his attitude bringing others down.  It's possible it has, but I'm guessing he's seeing a lot of his hopes and dreams vanish...and with the dreams he surely had as a high school star it's probably tough to swallow...and he's in a tough mental state (one that may not have any impact on the players around him).

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

This is getting silly. De'Ron isn't the reason we're struggling this season. I don't care what his attitude might be, he's played the fewest minutes of anyone with a scholarship. It's the players on the court who aren't producing. De'Ron played just three minutes against Northwestern. He only played one minute in that Notre Dame game where we gave up a big lead. He only played two minutes in our loss to Arkansas. Against Maryland he played a season high 17 minutes and not the minutes when we completely fell apart. He actually finished +3 on the night, one of only three players to have a positive +/-. This amateur detective work taking place in several places across the internet is just looking for a scapegoat.

No...he's not at all the reason we're struggling and that wasn't the point of those pictures, but he's a senior.  Supposed to be a leader, and those pictures showed poison.   His numbers and production are irrelevant if those pictures paint an accurate portrayal of his demeanor around the team and his attitude towards it.

Turnovers (IU turns the ball over on 20% of its possessions.  That's almost unbelievable to me) are killing this team and so many are careless and lazy.  The whole team is guilty.

I believe firmly that Green will be addition by subtraction.  He is still careless and his decision making is awful.  I know he has his moments, but he's not a leader either.  His FT%, A, and REB numbers are down this season; his FG% is about even for his career, as are his TO's.   And his defense is generally laughable.  I'm done with him.  He hasn't improved one bit and I blame him as much as any coach simply because of the way he plays.  Crean never really cared if turnovers happened, and bad shots seemed to be okay sometimes. 

Davis moves like Fred Sanford and can't play anymore; so I don't think Indiana will miss him.   Archie Miller took a Dayon team to the Elite 8.  He's not a bad coach.   I hear a lot how connecting with kids is so critical; and on some level it is.  But, kids aren't supposed to like their coaches all the time.  I didn't.   But as long as I knew they were there to make me better and push me to succeed, and believed they knew what they were talking about, I didn't have to like them.

Effort is something no coach should have to ask for.  It's a controllable.  So the hell what if Justin Smith doesn't like Archie Miller?  That means he doesn't have to listen to him and can look away in huddles?  That's what he's about?   I know he played well in the second half the other night, and perhaps he's fine.  But he wasn't for a while.   Green shoots when he feels like it whether the shot comes from the offense or not?   Stuff like that makes me nuts.  I don't pretend to know who Archie's pissed at, but some of Indiana's problems are player related, and that's not debatable.

If a senior in his second semester still doesn't "get it" then it's time to cut bait.  He's not going to all of a sudden be a different person.

Devonte is a 4 year player at IU who's never been to the NCAA tournament.  Has that ever even happened before?

If he doesn't care, and is a cancer in the locker room, then it's time to move on.  Addition by subtraction.

Just now, Fkfootball1 said:

I’d rather Green and Davis just leave. Bybee can play for Green. Oh...why not? Because he’ll come in and get beat on defense or turn it over?

Well....so does DG. Bybee is a dead eye shooter that will play his @$$ off. Good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Here's the thing.  Kid like Bieber should have a role.  Play serviceable defense, and spot up and shoot 3 pointers to keep us in the game after we are down 10+.  See at most 5-10 min per game.