Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

1 on 1 Player Meetings and Rotation Change

I was a little surprised that Damezi didn't play....from the outside, he did look like a guy who had the effort and had improved since last year.  That said, he hasn't been making shots.  

In terms of DeVonte, I think it's of interest to know that over the past three games, he's had a total of one turnover.  I think his benching against Northwestern was due to shot selection and how it effected his defense, but when you check the numbers, he simply has not been turning the ball over like he was earlier in the season.  For those who get frustrated with him quickly......you won't be done.  He's going to go through cold spells and he is going to keep shooting when he's cold.  But ultimately we need some guys that do that instead of going into a shell when they aren't shooting well.  I think the key to the last game is the good start we had and the fact that when we went through the one of seventeen streak to end the half, we still were in a very manageable three point deficit at half.

4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I was a little surprised that Damezi didn't play....from the outside, he did look like a guy who had the effort and had improved since last year.  That said, he hasn't been making shots.  

In terms of DeVonte, I think it's of interest to know that over the past three games, he's had a total of one turnover.  I think his benching against Northwestern was due to shot selection and how it effected his defense, but when you check the numbers, he simply has not been turning the ball over like he was earlier in the season.  For those who get frustrated with him quickly......you won't be done.  He's going to go through cold spells and he is going to keep shooting when he's cold.  But ultimately we need some guys that do that instead of going into a shell when they aren't shooting well.  I think the key to the last game is the good start we had and the fact that when we went through the one of seventeen streak to end the half, we still were in a very manageable three point deficit at half.

Damezi was sick 

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Damezi was sick 

Thanks, didn't know that.  Do wonder if he would have played and if did, whose minutes would have been taken.

In terms of minute distribution, we saw Franklin and Thompson play very limited minutes and Davis play more than normal....but I think Thompson/Davis was more of a matchup issue against Wesson than anything.  Al's minutes were lower but he sat a good length in the first half because of fouls.  Hunter played about as much as he had but only took one shot in 19 minutes.

Also, FWIW, Rob took 12 shots in 29 minutes.....something I said he needed to look to do as he had seemed so hesitant.

14 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Thanks, didn't know that.  Do wonder if he would have played and if did, whose minutes would have been taken.

In terms of minute distribution, we saw Franklin and Thompson play very limited minutes and Davis play more than normal....but I think Thompson/Davis was more of a matchup issue against Wesson than anything.  Al's minutes were lower but he sat a good length in the first half because of fouls.  Hunter played about as much as he had but only took one shot in 19 minutes.

Also, FWIW, Rob took 12 shots in 29 minutes.....something I said he needed to look to do as he had seemed so hesitant.

I think an aspect to Hunter playing better the other day was that he was able to settle in and get comfortable, and part of that was that he didn’t have to split time with Anderson. I really like Anderson, but it’s tough for both he and Hunter when they each get 8-10 minutes instead of one of them getting 15-20. 

It stinks for one of them, but I think Archie really needs to choose one and give them the minutes for 3-4 games and see if they can thrive.  

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Bad shots early in the shot clock are the equivalent of turnovers.  He just needs the discipline to know the what, when, where of a good shot.

I think an aspect to Hunter playing better the other day was that he was able to settle in and get comfortable, and part of that was that he didn’t have to split time with Anderson. I really like Anderson, but it’s tough for both he and Hunter when they each get 8-10 minutes instead of one of them getting 15-20. 
It stinks for one of them, but I think Archie really needs to choose one and give them the minutes for 3-4 games and see if they can thrive.  

Hunter is the better player. No need to play 11 and Anderson, while better than last year still isn’t ready

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My biggest concern is that is appears CAM is all talk again and no action... I am glad we won the game, and many of the guys who the fans would guess are on the short end of the stick played a role in that, but he insinuated that the 11 man rotation was a thing of the past and instead he played 10... which I thought was bad enough and sorta a slap in the face to fans (not that he owes us anything) but then to find out/realize #11 wasn't available to play makes me believe that he would have stuck with the 11 man rotation....

I am an Archie supporter... I loved the hire, and I am still on board (although the faith isn't as high as it once was)... but don't give us the Crean talk in the pressers and then not do a damn thing in reality....

If your philosophy is run 11 guys and wear the other team out so be it, say it, own it, deliver it... but if you say 11 guys doesn't work but don't change a thing as far as actions, that is a quick way to create more doubt from the fanbase.

1 hour ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

My biggest concern is that is appears CAM is all talk again and no action... I am glad we won the game, and many of the guys who the fans would guess are on the short end of the stick played a role in that, but he insinuated that the 11 man rotation was a thing of the past and instead he played 10... which I thought was bad enough and sorta a slap in the face to fans (not that he owes us anything) but then to find out/realize #11 wasn't available to play makes me believe that he would have stuck with the 11 man rotation....

I am an Archie supporter... I loved the hire, and I am still on board (although the faith isn't as high as it once was)... but don't give us the Crean talk in the pressers and then not do a damn thing in reality....

If your philosophy is run 11 guys and wear the other team out so be it, say it, own it, deliver it... but if you say 11 guys doesn't work but don't change a thing as far as actions, that is a quick way to create more doubt from the fanbase.

I get it but I think it's more complex than that. A lot happens in the game. Things we never know about. Smith may have tweaked something in the first and Race comes in and back out some time later. That doesn't mean Archie didn't hold true to his intentions. Phinisee got kicked in the sack and looked like he was about to puke. You may want run with Brunk and TJD but then OSU comes to town and you know Davis can back anyone down and slow Wessen down.. and so you can't let Wessen go HAM because after NW you say "I'm shortening the rotation". He probably is, in the big picture of the season. Get the 8/9 the big minutes and leave 10/11 to 3 or 4 mins to relieve some legs. To me, that is shortening the rotation instead of a more balanced minute distribution across all 11 players. Just some thoughts. 

I get it but I think it's more complex than that. A lot happens in the game. Things we never know about. Smith may have tweaked something in the first and Race comes in and back out some time later. That doesn't mean Archie didn't hold true to his intentions. Phinisee got kicked in the sack and looked like he was about to puke. You may want run with Brunk and TJD but then OSU comes to town and you know Davis can back anyone down and slow Wessen down.. and so you can't let Wessen go HAM because after NW you say "I'm shortening the rotation". He probably is, in the big picture of the season. Get the 8/9 the big minutes and leave 10/11 to 3 or 4 mins to relieve some legs. To me, that is shortening the rotation instead of a more balanced minute distribution across all 11 players. Just some thoughts. 
I agree...i took him saying that as changing the dispersion of min and giving the bulk of them to those that are bringing their best that day.

Sent from my LM-G850 using BtownBanners mobile app

I for one thought each player contributed to the win. I thought his substitutions were great, and when Armaan didn’t hustle, he sat him the rest of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

As slow as he is, Davis’ size is just something you can’t teach. Even if he only plays 8 minutes and fouls out, it helps us go toe to toe with other teams with bruising interior games. We would have lost at least one to MSU last year if it wasn’t for his physical presence.

Yeh, Deron wrecked State.  I hope he can come in and do that again.  That was fun.

19 hours ago, mbredenk101 said:

I agree...i took him saying that as changing the dispersion of min and giving the bulk of them to those that are bringing their best that day.

Sent from my LM-G850 using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes the main starters played 27 minutes so they got most of the minutes.