Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

How mad/upset would you really be?

50 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It’s misleading to say he scored 16 on 7 shot attempts. He actually scored 16 on 19 shot attempts. Which isn’t awful but because it was just FT’s outside of a 2 and 3 he hit... wasn’t a noticeable 16. Same with Smiths 18 and TJD’s 20. James Harden can score 40 but he shot 25-30 from the FT line and went 6-35 from the field. Durham play well relative to the team. On most nights, he wasn’t good and we would have lost, even with his FT’s.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Okay.. let’s go with: 

13 possessions where Al was the shooter.

He scored 16 points during those 13 possessions, and stuck the other team with eight or nine fouls.

THAT’S efficient offense. (Yeesh)

Yea I’m not on the Al won’t be a valuable piece next year boat. Yes, maybe Franklin, Leal, and Galloway will be better and if they earn more playing time over Al next year then that means they are playing well and it’s a mute point. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to run off experience just for the sake of running them off. A senior Durham would be a good player to have around even though his ceiling hasn’t been super high. I think the same argument would go for Damezi as a JR and SR as well. 

It’s only misleading if you’re trying really hard to dig in and make a point. 16 points on 7 FG attempts is efficient no matter how you slice it, but only if you look at it without bias. 

Going 2-7 from the field isn’t efficient. Which he was. His FT shooting was. But it also didn’t really come in the flow. Like I said, he didn’t stick out any because his points were scored at the FT line. You know why he didn’t stand out? Because he hit 2 FT’s at the 7:38 mark and then didn’t score again until he hit 2 FT’s with 2 seconds left. He had zero rebounds in that time, zero steals in that time, 1 assist and was 0-1 from the field. So you say he had a great game but it was just an okayish type of game. It wasn’t great. He didn’t look great. The team didn’t look great. He didn’t stand out from anyone.

Wow.
I so strongly disagree. He had 16 points on seven fg attempts, three steals and four assists, and was quite obviously the on-court leader.
I’m all for high standards, but IMO you’re setting ridiculously unattainable standards.
Posts like yours above are credibility killers IMO.

I agree with chicken on this. IMO I don’t think anyone played well last night

40 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Going 2-7 from the field isn’t efficient. Which he was. His FT shooting was. But it also didn’t really come in the flow. Like I said, he didn’t stick out any because his points were scored at the FT line. You know why he didn’t stand out? Because he hit 2 FT’s at the 7:38 mark and then didn’t score again until he hit 2 FT’s with 2 seconds left. He had zero rebounds in that time, zero steals in that time, 1 assist and was 0-1 from the field. So you say he had a great game but it was just an okayish type of game. It wasn’t great. He didn’t look great. The team didn’t look great. He didn’t stand out from anyone.

At what point did I say he or anyone else had a great game? I said he had an efficient scoring night by getting his points on only 7 FG’s. Didn’t have a very good night from the field, but when you throw in his free throws, it was an efficient scoring night. No more, no less. 

It’s only misleading if you’re trying really hard to dig in and make a point. 16 points on 7 FG attempts is efficient no matter how you slice it, but only if you look at it without bias. 

To be fair, he scored 5 points on 7 FG attempts and 11 points on 12 FTs. That’s why FG and FT are two separate categories in the stat sheet.

Nonetheless we did need all 11 of the FTs.

WTF

Here I thought we had one of the smarter fan bases.

Any coach in America that’s worth anything would take 16 points on 7 FGA. You can slice it anyway you want. You can classify it in any category you’d like. Regardless of some stupid ish that’s 16 points while only taking 7 shots.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

WTF

Here I thought we had one of the smarter fan bases.

Any coach in America that’s worth anything would take 16 points on 7 FGA. You can slice it anyway you want. You can classify it in any category you’d like. Regardless of some stupid ish that’s 16 points while only taking 7 shots.

No that’s 16 points taking 19 shots. Technically.

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Meaning he took 12 ft’s(which is a shot) and 7 FG’s. Which is 19.

Bottom line is, if Al Durham, or anyone really, is going to take 12 free throw attempts, I’ll happily take that every single game. Along with his leadership and defensive pressure the last 10 minutes, which changed the pace of the game, he had a good night. Was he great? No, really nobody was. But, he had a good, solid night. 

Bottom line is, if Al Durham, or anyone really, is going to take 12 free throw attempts, I’ll happily take that every single game. Along with his leadership and defensive pressure the last 10 minutes, which changed the pace of the game, he had a good night. Was he great? No, really nobody was. But, he had a good, solid night. 

He had an okay night. And that’s as far as I’d take it. TJD and Smith has okay nights. The team as a whole sucked. Al had a great night from the line. A lot of bonus FT’s when they kept stopping fast breaks. But he’s got to do that against Ohio State and Penn State and Michigan State etc. not just crappy teams. Maryland he had 5 points, Arkansas he had 2 points because he was an idiot, Notre Dame 5 points, FSU 5 points. He had 17 in the Wisconsin butt kicking and 9 against UConn. The whole question was if people would be okay with him transferring at the end of the year because he’s been recruited over. I personally would be fine with it. Same with Anderson and Thompson. But it’d only work if Archie played the grad transfers game because we can find better players than Al.

19 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Meaning he took 12 ft’s(which is a shot) and 7 FG’s. Which is 19.

I’ll back you up a little bit here though, in terms of your OP. I don’t think a freshmen Leal would ever take Durham’s spot, but I do agree with you that Durham is not a key player on an elite team. 

For all the criticism Archie takes, IMO the biggest criticism should be why are we counting on Durham and Green to be core, key guys in year 3? I’m way less worried about the offense and the Pack Line, than I am about our recruiting. 

We’re counting on Durham to be a 25-30mpg guy and Devonte Green to be a our primary perimeter scoring threat. That’s the big issue. Those guys are 7th-10th guys on any Big Ten Title contending team, not frontline players.  

After thinking about it a bit I’ve figured it all out. There’s a cost to every play and shot in the game of basketball. However, a FREE throw doesn’t actually cost anything. Therefore, it’s actually taking away from the other team. He took 12 of those and it cost the other team a foul for every two of those FREE throws. Doing the math, Al scored 16 points on -11 shots because math.

Edit: I honestly can’t believe we’re having this conversation on Btown Banners. My how this site has fallen, we’re rivaling the men’s team in collapsibility.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’ll back you up a little bit here though, in terms of your OP. I don’t think a freshmen Leal would ever take Durham’s spot, but I do agree with you that Durham is not a key player on an elite team. 

For all the criticism Archie takes, IMO the biggest criticism should be why are we counting on Durham and Green to be core, key guys in year 3? I’m way less worried about the offense and the Pack Line, than I am about our recruiting. 

We’re counting on Durham to be a 25-30mpg guy and Devonte Green to be a our primary perimeter scoring threat. That’s the big issue. Those guys are 7th-10th guys on any Big Ten Title contending team, not frontline players.  

Yep with the exception of Romeo our guard play and recruiting have been poor.