Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

How mad/upset would you really be?

So next year we will clearly be without Green and Davis. TJD is a wait and see, IMO he needs two more years at a minimum. As for others, Durham, Brunk and Smith will be Seniors. Phinisee, Thompson, Anderson will be Juniors. TJD, Franklin, Hunter will be Sophomores and as of now we have Leal, Geronimo and Galloway coming in. Which puts us at a depth chart projected somewhere around...

PG- Phinisee, Franklin

SG- Durham, Leal, Galloway

SF- Smith, Geronimo, Anderson, Hunter

PF- TJD, Thompson

C- Brunk

Now the real question is, how mad or upset would anyone be taking Durham and Anderson out of that? We clearly need a legitimate PG... or two and another big man. I don’t think Anderson will ever figure it out at this level and would fit in best at an Indiana State or Evansville. As for Durham, the fact he’d likely be starting just hurts us. He’s clearly not good enough to try and force to be one of our best players. Would we be better off just Leal start? If Durham stays would he embrace a role off the bench as a glue guy? Now I’m not a big fan of his. I personally think he makes way too many dumb decisions with the ball, gets lazy of defense and he doesn’t help our shooting any, but no one does. Personally I think we would be better off going to grad transfers for a PG and a big man. I think we have enough wings and I think Leal is more talented than Durham, so we’d be fine. I’d say I hope Durham makes a leap, but he peaked his Sophomore year, so he is who he is. I think Franklin will pass him up next season as well and the starting two spot should be between Franklin and Leal. So would people okay with Durham leaving(Maybe go play at Georgia with Crean)? Anderson? Anyone else other than Green and Davis? People seemed happy about Moore and Forrester.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Recruit over Al if needed but right now he is one of the only guys who can handle the ball that has some fight in him. He must stay until you have someone else better at that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I do not believe there is any way a freshman Leal outproduces a senior Durham. Is he more talented? probably. But he is ranked right around 100 and will be a freshman. You have to take the senior all day. 

Now, Franklin surpassing Durham next year is a separate issue. But in the end, Durham will be very valuable to the team next year and no I would not be okay with him leaving. 

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

I do not believe there is any way a freshman Leal outproduces a senior Durham. Is he more talented? probably. But he is ranked right around 100 and will be a freshman. You have to take the senior all day. 

Now, Franklin surpassing Durham next year is a separate issue. But in the end, Durham will be very valuable to the team next year and no I would not be okay with him leaving. 

I was just responding something very similar to this.

Recruit over Al if needed but right now he is one of the only guys who can handle the ball that has some fight in him. He must stay until you have someone else better at that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think we’ve already recruited over Al is my point. He will get to play because he is a Senior, but I think both Leal and Franklin will be better.

I think we’ve already recruited over Al is my point. He will get to play because he is a Senior, but I think both Leal and Franklin will be better.

Yeah but until they can do what Al did last night you have to keep Al. All our other guards looked lost and scared last night except Al who looked mad. He made mistakes down the stretch so there is room for others to pass him but for now he has a unique role.

I actually agree with you here. I am not a Durham fan at all unless he has to be in there. Which he does currently.

Yeah but until they can do what Al did last night you have to keep Al. All our other guards looked lost and scared last night except Al who looked mad. He made mistakes down the stretch so there is room for others to pass him but for now he has a unique role.

It’s not like Al played great last night. Maybe relative to the rest? But TJD and Smith were still better. 11 of his 16 points from the FT line. Some of those came with NW trying to stop fast breaks. Others were with him out of control and getting lucky.

30 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Relative to the rest of team maybe? But he still wasn’t good. No one was.

Wow.

I so strongly disagree. He had 16 points on seven fg attempts, three steals and four assists, and was quite obviously the on-court leader.

I’m all for high standards, but IMO you’re setting ridiculously unattainable standards.

Posts like yours above are credibility killers IMO.

Wow.
I so strongly disagree. He had 16 points on seven fg attempts, three steals and four assists, and was quite obviously the on-court leader.
I’m all for high standards, but IMO you’re setting ridiculously unattainable standards.

He did have 16 points on 2-7 FG attempts. Because he hit 11 FT’s. “16 points on 7 FG attempts” is incredibly misleading. He was still bad last night. Was he the tallest midget? Because everyone sucked last night collectively. There were zero positives to take away from the game other than getting a W. Though the close win actually hurt us in the NET rankings.

Didn’t realize that FT points counted less. 

It’s misleading to say he scored 16 on 7 shot attempts. He actually scored 16 on 19 shot attempts. Which isn’t awful but because it was just FT’s outside of a 2 and 3 he hit... wasn’t a noticeable 16. Same with Smiths 18 and TJD’s 20. James Harden can score 40 but he shot 25-30 from the FT line and went 6-35 from the field. Durham play well relative to the team. On most nights, he wasn’t good and we would have lost, even with his FT’s.

12 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It’s misleading to say he scored 16 on 7 shot attempts. He actually scored 16 on 19 shot attempts. Which isn’t awful but because it was just FT’s outside of a 2 and 3 he hit... wasn’t a noticeable 16. Same with Smiths 18 and TJD’s 20. James Harden can score 40 but he shot 25-30 from the FT line and went 6-35 from the field. Durham play well relative to the team. On most nights, he wasn’t good and we would have lost, even with his FT’s.

If you have to make up new stats to make your point it’s probably a bad point. 

Al had a bad shooting night but a great scoring night. Scoring is more important than shooting. 

Wow.

I agree. No one is handing out medals or hanging banners after that game but sometimes you learn a lot about your coach and players when things like that happen.

I probably feel worse about this teams ability to make the tournament and be a good team this year. I have even more doubts about Archie but I do appreciate how hard a game that was to win given how bad we played. The team had every reason to give up once down 10 to NW.

I did not like many of the things they tried but one thing worked. That was turning up the defensive pressure and Al was the key to that. Their offense got completely disrupted due to the pressure. Al picked his man up early and guarded him tight for the whole court.

The others played good half court D but only Al dug in and went after his guy the full court. That was a coaching decision but when we switched to Rob he gave his man a bigger cushion and their offense found a little life.

Games like that you just have to keep trying and keep digging. Al’s defense and his desire to play that D full court was huge.

On offense I was not a fan of Al’s driving to the bucket so much vs feeding the post but he did draw a ton of fouls and new he could control that.

Ugly win. Terrible game. Very glad Al was there last night more than any other player.