Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB vs PUke - 1/9/20 @ 7:00

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

Lot of thoughts here.  First off what IU has become this year as the conferences premier team is not something I thought I would see in my life time. Of course I never thought baseball at IU would become the conferences best team after so many years at the bottom. Say what you want about Fred Glass' 24 sports/1 team motto and it may have hurt Football and Men's Basketball but it certainly has made the other sports be in much better places (and in some cases elite) after so many years as doormats.

Best yet this is the third time in four home games we have drawn at least 5,000 and the 'low' crowd of just over 3,000 against Illinois would of been a great number not to long ago but is now nothing special. That's how much fan support has improved and its great Hoosier Nation has taken notice of this team. 

We have had elite teams in soccer in 2017 and 2018, baseball in 2013 and 2014, men's basketball in 2012-2014 but never before in women's basketball so this is a whole new experience. I would not expect a national title but much like the 2013 and 2014 baseball teams I would expect Big Ten Championships and certainly to be hosting tournament games (yes that is a thing in Women's in first two rounds if you are a high seed) and making first second weekend tourney appearance in program history if not a Final Four over next couple years.

We are in uncharted territory in a good way and its awesome. 

One thing I will say is I have no idea why the Boilers continue to let Versyp run the program at mediocre level as prior to her they were basically what IU has become this year. It would of been like if IU soccer decided to keep holding onto Mike Freitag when team became mediocre instead of replacing him with Todd Yeagley. PU should be conferences best team and was for a long time until Versyp destroyed it yet they have let her stay 15 yrs. Not complaining but I do feel kind of bad for them as they should be where IU is at now when it comes to Women's BBall and thanks to her they are not.

Agree on everything.  Also remember people thinking losing Versyp to Purdue was devastating. Thanks to the previous coach,  and with Moren taking it further, this program has staying power! 

Moren, Allen,Mercer, and Yeagley all have one thing in common. They were born in the state of Indiana. I don't think that's a coincidence! Their teams play like they're proud to play for the names on the front of their jerseys!

9 hours ago, jk34 said:

Agree on everything.  Also remember people thinking losing Versyp to Purdue was devastating. Thanks to the previous coach,  and with Moren taking it further, this program has staying power! 

Moren, Allen,Mercer, and Yeagley all have one thing in common. They were born in the state of Indiana. I don't think that's a coincidence! Their teams play like they're proud to play for the names on the front of their jerseys!

And best yet Purdue is very unlikely to steal Moren since Glass smartly put a 10 million dollar buyout in her contract to go to Purdue. If Purdue for some reason pays that buyout (and in Women's Basketball I don't see anyway they do) we can use the 10 million dollars to go get the best coach available as no one (besides maybe UConn) has that kind of cash to spend on a women's coach and we would.

That Purdue buyout clause in retrospect is one of the smarter things Glass did in his time as AD. 

My wife and I attended this game and it was a very fun night.Nice crowd and you can really feel the momentum building with this program.

The Patburg girl is an absolute joy to watch.She runs the point with confidence and is super quick with a good shot off the dribble.Her on ball defense is really good.

Coupled with a great pizza at Mother Bears it couldn't have been a better trip to Btown.