Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB vs PUke - 1/9/20 @ 7:00

At least we have one team that knows how to play team basketball.  Damn unfortunate that it's being broadcast on BTN+.  

An in-state rivalry is renewed on Thursday night as No. 12 Indiana plays host to Purdue in the first of two meetings this season. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET.

NO. 12/13 INDIANA (13-2, 3-0 B1G) VS. PURDUE (11-4, 2-1 B1G)
Thursday, January 9, 2020 • 7 p.m. ET
Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall • Bloomington, Ind.  
Broadcast: BTN+
Radio: WHCC 105.1 FM (Greg Murray)
Live Stats: Statbroadcast
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Promotions: IUWBB t-shirt (first 300 fans)

­­­ABOUT THE COACHES

Indiana Purdue
Teri Moren Sharon Versyp
Career Record: 315-198 (17th Season) Career Record: 404-231 (20th Season)
Indiana Record: 116-68 (6th Season) Purdue Record: 287-166 (14th Season)

ABOUT THE BOILERMAKERS
The Boilermakers are coming off a 59-53 loss to Rutgers at home on Sunday after opening up the conference season with wins over Ohio State and Wisconsin. Junior guard Karissa McLaughlin leads three scorers in double figures with 12.8 points per game. Senior center Ae'Rianna Harris adds 11.8 points, 8.4 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per game while senior guard Dominique Oden averages 11.5 points per outing.

SERIES HISTORY
Purdue leads 55-33

LAST MEETING
3/3/19 – W, 71-53 (Bloomington, Ind.)

NOTES

• Coming off an 83-42 win over Illinois on Monday night, Indiana is 3-0 in the Big Ten for the second-straight year and sixth time in school history. IU remains as the only undefeated team in conference play. 
  • Highlighted by 19 points from redshirt junior guard Ali Patberg, Indiana cruised to a 41-point victory, the largest margin of victory over a Big Ten opponent in Teri Moren era. The Hoosiers combined to shoot 53.2 percent in the victory, with freshman forward Mackenzie Holmes (16 points) and sophomore guard Grace Berger (11 points) also adding double figures.
  • Berger and Patberg are leading IU in scoring this season with 13.1 and 13.0 points per game, respectively. Holmes is the third Hoosier in double figure averages with 12.1 points and is the team's leading rebounder with 5.7 boards per game.
  • The Hoosiers also moved up two spots in both national polls this week. They came in tying a program-high No. 12 in the Associated Press top 25 and set a record coming in at No. 13 in the USA Today/WBCA Coaches poll.
  • Indiana has won five of the last seven in the series with the Boilermakers heading in to Thursday's game, coming off a split series last season where each team won its respective home game. The two teams will play for the Barn Burner Trophy when IU visits West Lafayette on Feb. 3. 

UP NEXT
The Hoosiers will travel to Iowa on Sunday. Tipoff is slated for 5 p.m. ET on Big Ten Network.

I just hope that all of our cylinders are firing together tonight. Purdue is not a slack team, and they'll be playing with emotion.  Gulbe and Holmes have to be smart with their fouls.  Love to see double digit scoring from several of our players.  

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

I really hope this ends being as big or a bigger point spread than the Illinois game. I absolutely can't stand all Toiletmaker teams, but women's basketball might just be No. 1 on my list. 

Let's win big, ladies! 

Very surprised if that happens. While I expect IU to win tonight, Illinois is the absolute trash team of the Big Ten and has been for a long time. PU while down is a decent team so it should be closer. Expect a 10-15 pt win but any kind of win would be fine. 

Bit of a slow start for our Hoosiers as we didn't get our first field goal until the 5:10 mark.  End of 1:  IU leads  14-6.                Had a nice 9-0 run at the end of the quarter.

Neither team shooting well  --  IU  4-12                    PUke  3-15

Both teams also turning it over  -- both with 5.

#24 Michigan 53     O$U 51 nearing the end of the 3rd Q.

Halftime:  IU leading 28-16

Points:   Patberg 11; Berger 7; Penn 6; Wise 4                      Reb:  Gulbe 6; Wise 6                 

IU:  8-26 FG             PU:  7-27 FG      PU 0-8 on 3s.                Combined 19 TOs a lot for both teams were traveling calls.

#24 Michigan 61        O$U  64   4:30 left in game     

MSU  36         Penn St.  47  halftime

#6 Baylor 35     #1 UConn 34     halftime

If our men could only play defense as well as do our women.  

End of 3:  IU leading 50-31

Points:   Patberg 13; Berger 7; Penn 6; Gulbe 6; Wise 9         Reb:  Gulbe 8; Wise 6; Berger 3

Hoosiers 29 total reb; 11 offensive                Purdue 22 total reb; 4 offensive        

IU:  38% FG             PU: 33% FG    PU has 17 TOs  .               

#24 Michigan  69       O$U 78    Final     

MSU  57        Penn St.  59    End of 3

#17 Maryland  10          Iowa  17     Late in 1st Q    

#6 Baylor  55    #1 UConn  52   End of 3

4-0 in B1G  --  first time in program history.  These women are good.

Final:  66-48

Points:   Patberg 18; Gulbe 10 all in 2nd half; Wise 9; Penn 8; Berger 7.  A rare poor shooting night for Grace 1-11 FG but she had 5 assists to lead the team.

Reb:  Gulbe 8; Wise 6; Holmes 4

IU:  43% FG             PU: 38% FG                  

#24 Michigan  69       O$U 78    Final     

MSU  65        Penn St  79  late in the 4th

#17 Maryland  24          Iowa  38   in the 2nd   

#6 Baylor  65    #1 UConn  54    2:00 left in game.  Gino doesn’t lose many at home.

Lot of thoughts here.  First off what IU has become this year as the conferences premier team is not something I thought I would see in my life time. Of course I never thought baseball at IU would become the conferences best team after so many years at the bottom. Say what you want about Fred Glass' 24 sports/1 team motto and it may have hurt Football and Men's Basketball but it certainly has made the other sports be in much better places (and in some cases elite) after so many years as doormats.

Best yet this is the third time in four home games we have drawn at least 5,000 and the 'low' crowd of just over 3,000 against Illinois would of been a great number not to long ago but is now nothing special. That's how much fan support has improved and its great Hoosier Nation has taken notice of this team. 

We have had elite teams in soccer in 2017 and 2018, baseball in 2013 and 2014, men's basketball in 2012-2014 but never before in women's basketball so this is a whole new experience. I would not expect a national title but much like the 2013 and 2014 baseball teams I would expect Big Ten Championships and certainly to be hosting tournament games (yes that is a thing in Women's in first two rounds if you are a high seed) and making first second weekend tourney appearance in program history if not a Final Four over next couple years.

We are in uncharted territory in a good way and its awesome. 

One thing I will say is I have no idea why the Boilers continue to let Versyp run the program at mediocre level as prior to her they were basically what IU has become this year. It would of been like if IU soccer decided to keep holding onto Mike Freitag when team became mediocre instead of replacing him with Todd Yeagley. PU should be conferences best team and was for a long time until Versyp destroyed it yet they have let her stay 15 yrs. Not complaining but I do feel kind of bad for them as they should be where IU is at now when it comes to Women's BBall and thanks to her they are not.