Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB vs Ohio State Game Thread: 1/11/20 @noon...WILL HE BE THERE?!?

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Don’t worry. I can’t either. I was -9.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I’m curious if Knights attendance is a big deal or not to younger posters like yourself.

I was at IU during Knights heyday. If Branch McCraken had shown up to a game and waved I would have politely clapped but it would not have been a particularly emotional/exciting event for the  19/20 year version of me. McCrakens last championship was 22 years before my freshman year (the year we went undefeated) and back then Branch’s last championship seemed to me like something from the stone age. (much like now when kids were not alive when we last won in ‘87 or when Bobby last went to the FF in 1992). 

I realize Knight was a much bigger phenomenon than Branch, and for years he was the first thing mentioned when anyone discussed IU, but due to the time that has passed does Knight really mean much of anything to the younger generation?  

I’m curious if Knights attendance is a big deal or not to younger posters like yourself.
I was at IU during Knights heyday. If Branch McCraken had shown up to a game and waved I would have politely clapped but it would not have been a particularly emotional/exciting event for the  19/20 year version of me. McCrakens last championship was 22 years before my freshman year (the year we went undefeated) and back then Branch’s last championship seemed to me like something from the stone age. (much like now when kids were not alive when we last won in ‘87 or when Bobby last went to the FF in 1992). 

I realize Knight was a much bigger phenomenon than Branch, and for years he was the first thing mentioned when anyone discussed IU, but due to the time that has passed does Knight really mean much of anything to the younger generation?  

I think it is. I went to the Purdue game a couple years back where Rick Mount finally returned and that place was a freakin mad house when he came out. I would say this is a much bigger deal than that. I bought tickets for tomorrow in hopes that RMK shows.

4 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

I think it is. I went to the Purdue game a couple years back where Rick Mount finally returned and that place was a freakin mad house when he came out. I would say this is a much bigger deal than that. I bought tickets for tomorrow in hopes that RMK shows.

Have fun at the game. I would love to be there.

This will be my girls first game so praying the team plays well enough to get a big loud crowd. I am nervous we stink and crowd is silent plus my 6 year old hates losing she may try to switch teams of were losing lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, DChoosier said:

26 years old here, I watched IUBB with my dad since the day I was born but my first real vivid memories was that 2002 run, which was Knight's team but not him coaching obviously. Having said that, my dad's told me all about RMK and being such a hardcore fan I'm well versed in who he was and what he's meant to this university. I get the sense most younger adults are in that same boat. 

2 hours ago, coonhounds said:

This will be my girls first game so praying the team plays well enough to get a big loud crowd. I am nervous we stink and crowd is silent plus my 6 year old hates losing she may try to switch teams of were losing lol

If nothing else it will be loud to start the game. Hopefully the team gives us all a reason to stay loud. This will be my first time in the Hall in years and the lowest I've ever sat so I'm about as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve.

If nothing else it will be loud to start the game. Hopefully the team gives us all a reason to stay loud. This will be my first time in the Hall in years and the lowest I've ever sat so I'm about as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve.
Lol this will be the highest I ever sat but I dont care. Ready and hoping like crazy these guys can find some focus and effort. That's all I ask

14 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Who all on here is going to game tomorrow? Anyone have a lunch recommendation for little kids?

Game is at noon.

You should be in your seats by 11:30’sh.

I’m thinking Assembly Hall popcorn for lunch :)

43 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

26 years old here, I watched IUBB with my dad since the day I was born but my first real vivid memories was that 2002 run, which was Knight's team but not him coaching obviously. Having said that, my dad's told me all about RMK and being such a hardcore fan I'm well versed in who he was and what he's meant to this university. I get the sense most younger adults are in that same boat. 

This makes me feel old...

26 too and my first memory as well. Other than meeting AJ Guyton.

I'm 25 and I'd go nuts if I was in the building when RMK returned to Assembly Hall. Love him or hate him, he's still IU basketball 20 years later. I had multiple interviews this summer where my interviewer asked me about IU basketball, and he was the first thing they mentioned. 

I was a freshman when he was fired. So I grew up watching the teams he coached and fell in love with IU hoops while he was there. I could be in the minority here, but he could never show his face around campus ever again and I’d be completely fine with that. If he comes tomorrow, fine. Great. It will be a madhouse. But I couldn’t possibly care less if he ever came back. He’s been nothing but a grumpy curmudgeon. I don’t even care how much he felt like he was wronged. (This is the part where I leave his politics out of the discussion on a sports message board.) I don’t wish ill will on anyone. I know his condition has worsened. I hope he lives out the rest of his life as best he and his family could hope for. But as for whether he ever shows up....I don’t care at all.