Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Your Starters and Lineups

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I said shooter. Franklin is shooting 20.5% from 3. Ahead of only Hunter at 13%.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I've seen enough of Franklin in HS, Practice and games to know he's a better shooter than that. Even if he doesn't shoot it well I like the way he plays and I'm a coach who gives more time to younger guys to get ready. He was really upset going into the ND game that he was only shooting 14% at the time. 

I've seen enough of Franklin in HS, Practice and games to know he's a better shooter than that. Even if he doesn't shoot it well I like the way he plays and I'm a coach who gives more time to younger guys to get ready. He was really upset going into the ND game that he was only shooting 14% at the time. 

If you’re an opposing coach you’re going to leave him open and you know that. But I’d be completely fine with sending Durham or Green to the bench to Franklin. But I wouldn’t replace Smith with him.

46 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would add Franklin. I would go with three perimeter players and 2 bigs. Right now I consider it 3 bigs two wings. I said yesterday Rob, Green, Franklin, TJD and Smith

I'd go Phinisee, Franklin, Durham, Jackson-Davis, Brunk.    Coming off the bench to see the flow of the game might be better for Green, and Brunk gives more size down low and plays hard.

I want to see something change change.

I'd go Phinisee, Franklin, Durham, Jackson-Davis, Brunk.    Coming off the bench to see the flow of the game might be better for Green, and Brunk gives more size down low and plays hard.
I want to see something change change.

Honestly it would be best using both depending on who we play and what advantage we could have. But we all know that won’t happen.

Sometimes I really see the effects of having both Brunk and TJD in the lineup with Smith. Smith was always at his best inside cleaning up around the rim with Morgan. With 2 other bigs in the game, it takes away any offensive effectiveness from him because of the lack of an outside shot. He does however play some of our best defense. Right now, you can't sit Brunk or TJD. Just finding the right combo of guards is the answer.

I 100% agree with this post. He is so much playing out of position. That's why you can't have TJD, Smith, and Brunk all in at the same time. Smith has to be able to post his man up and jump over him in the lane to get his shot off. 
The one thing I disagree with is that he has any leadership. I don't believe any of the Crean guys Green, Al, Smith or Davis are leaders at all and I think it's one of the major flaws of this team. 

You think Phin is disgruntled that he wasn’t named a leader of the team?

9 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I would add Franklin. I would go with three perimeter players and 2 bigs. Right now I consider it 3 bigs two wings. I said yesterday Rob, Green, Franklin, TJD and Smith

Agree. This is our best lineup. Play small. Play fast. HAVE to get Hunter going offensively. 

Starting 3 guards is ludicrous. Aside from the fact that Green is the only guard on the team who can shoot and he is sporadic, playing three guards means there is only one guard for substitution. That's Al Durham who happens to be the only IU player who consistently hits free throws (83.7%) and is the 2nd best three point shooter on the team (37.2%). Al also is the best guard at taking the ball to the hoop which is why he is 2nd to TJD in free throw attempts. Plus Al along with Joey Brunk are the only players who at this time anyway seem to be playing hard and with heart. Franklin's 3-point throw shooting, with the sole exception of the Notre Dame game, is atrocious for a starting guard (20.5%) and he has a tendency to throw the ball away.  If IU is playing for the future rather winning this year, then start Franklin. 

13 hours ago, yogisballin said:

You think Phin is disgruntled that he wasn’t named a leader of the team?

I personally do not since he was injured some of last year and most of this year so far. But you raise a good question. I'm guessing he is OK with two upperclassmen as captains. But they need to start leading at some point. 

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Both were the wrong decision.

How do you know that?  Does the captain always have to be the best player or highest scorer?  Obviously, they do a lot and are looked at favorably by the team or they wouldn't have been voted in. Not sure how anyone outside the program can say it was "the wrong decision".  

How do you know that?  Does the captain always have to be the best player or highest scorer?  Obviously, they do a lot and are looked at favorably by the team or they wouldn't have been voted in. Not sure how anyone outside the program can say it was "the wrong decision".  

You should probably be a leader on the court. We don’t have that. If I were Archie, I wouldn’t have had a set captain. And it would have been a weekly thing until someone proved they were worth the title. For this team, it’s just a label because none of them are leaders.