Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB vs Northwestern Game Thread: 1/8/20 @7:00 BTN

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

No. Only club teams.

Some Big Ten teams field Lacrosse and Big Ten has sport but IU is not one of them to field it. We also don't field Ice Hockey and Gymnastics which Big Ten offers.

Well, scratch that idea.  

30 minutes ago, Josh said:

I suppose.  But isn't it up to the coach to get the player to do better?

No!

It's the responsibility of the coach to maximize the player's ability and chances of doing better. It's up to the player to take that input and opportunity, and to make it happen. 

Now, some players get every opportunity and some great input and squander it. And, some coaches do not effectively provide opportunity or input.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

No!

It's the responsibility of the coach do maximize the player's ability to do better. It's up to the player to take that input and opportunity, and to make it happen. 

Now, some players get every opportunity and some great input and squander it. And, some coaches do not effectively provide opportunity or input.

I think the failing here is that Archie isn’t holding people accountable for not doing better. 

I think the failing here is that Archie isn’t holding people accountable for not doing better. 

To this point in the season you are correct. Hopefully he is a man of his words in the post game and starts doing so.

Holding green accountable last night was a start.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

There are a lot worse things to complain about than what two guys on the bench were doing. It is the lack of energy on the floor that put IU in the hole not lack of enthusiasm on the bench. And, for those taking shots at Justin Smith, IU would not have won without him. The guy scored 18 points, including two key put backs and several rebounds down the stretch. Yes, he played poor defense until the end, but so did everyone else except Al Durham. The poor shooting continues to plague IU but Durham's foul shooting and tough defense helped them avoid a disaster. 

Yeah many here with negative feelings on Green, Smith and Durham. From some it feels like personal vendettas. Curious, I just don't see Green not wanting on the floor unless...1) He felt a tweak and didn't want to risk a more serious injury. 2) He felt he was not in a position to help the team by being on the floor during that run towards the end of the game. I thought that he didn't look right coming out after halftime. Looked slow facing up on defense and none of his shots falling the entire game. The only play of his that I remember the entire game was the crisp bounce pass leading the break. As far as Al and Smith, watch the last 7min of the game. Enough said. Find better on the bench!

10 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

If this team play hard every game like it did the last 10 minutes of last night they will make the tournament.

If they continue to turn it on or off for stretches of games like they have all year, no chance they make the tournament. And it will be a shame because it will be about lack of effort which should never be the issue.

Go Hoosiers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You are correct but we have been saying they need to consistently play with effort for the last 2 1/2 years. Last year we did not even show up in the BTT for a virtual tourney “play-in” game against OSU.

It was good to see the light come on for the last 10 minutes but will that be how we consistently play in the future? History says no but let’s hope they can do it.  I think they will come out with energy for the home game against OSU. Crowd will be fired up, especially if Knight shows, and the team tends to get up for home games against ranked teams. We will see if a “light” comes on when we travel to Nebraska and Rutgers. Hope we become consistent but I would not bet on it.

25 minutes ago, coachv jr said:

how do you know?

I wasn't at the game either, but read on another site that Archie asked Green to go in twice, and Green waved him off. Now it was pointed out that Green was limping in the 2nd half so that might be it. Also what chicken might be alluding to is during the comeback, TJD has a put back the whole bench goes crazy except for Davis & Green who never even stood up. 

I wasn't at the game either, but read on another site that Archie asked Green to go in twice, and Green waved him off. Now it was pointed out that Green was limping in the 2nd half so that might be it. Also what chicken might be alluding to is during the comeback, TJD has a put back the whole bench goes crazy except for Davis & Green who never even stood up. 
Green had to be injured because why would archie ask him twice? It had to be a are you able or ready to go and he was like no. If he just flat out sad no because he didnt want in and archie asked him twice we got problems.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Wasn't it last year we all had conspiracy theories about what was wrong like guys sleeping with other players girlfriends and non of it was true? I also remember a photo of uninterested bench people. Fact is none of us besides chris 007 and maybe couple others no what these kids are going through on and off court. We have to trust the staff is doing what is best and quit trying to explain a reason out of theories. Just my 2 cents

Just now, coonhounds said:

Wasn't it last year we all had conspiracy theories about what was wrong like guys sleeping with other players girlfriends and non of it was true? I also remember a photo of uninterested bench people. Fact is none of us besides chris 007 and maybe couple others no what these kids are going through on and off court. We have to trust the staff is doing what is best and quit trying to explain a reason out of theories. Just my 2 cents

In De'Ron's case I imagine it's nothing more than a guy battling injuries for four years and then not playing much his senior year. I know we don't want to see players disinterested on the bench, but I can't say that I really fault him for the way he feels. It's a tough thing for a guy to go through. 

If you’ve lost interest you walk away. You don’t keep suiting 
It was one photo. If accurate and they dont care kick them off team yesterday but benefit of doubt one was injured other was talking to him

I was very happy with Al after watching some of the game. he found ways to help the team through effort and toughness. 

I honestly didn’t even notice him. I know he shot FT’s when NW was stopping some fast breaks. But he was still out of control a lot and still made some dumb decisions. But the team as a whole sucked. TJD didn’t stand out to me either. Smith did a couple times on some tip backs.

I've played both high school and college baseball and even two years professionally. Never once did a coach have to motivate me to play my hardest. After junior college I went to a D1 program where I absolutely despised the coach. I still gave him everything I had. I did leave after my junior year and spent my senior season at an NAIA school, before signing a contract to play independent ball.

The past 5 years I was an assistant high school baseball coach. I gave it up this season to focus on my own kids. Our team in 2018 was conference champs and ended the season in the Sectonal championship game at 18-9. From that team we lost one everyday player. He was a great player and great kid who had good leadership skills. The player who replaced him in 2019 was also a great player. Different types of hitters, but both hit close to .400 and were really nice in the field. We finished last season 12-13 and .500 in the conference. We still had an amazing future D1 pitcher on the team as well. What was the difference in these two teams...one teenage leader. Except for one kid, The rest were satisfied with where they were at. They could not be motivated with positivity or negativity. I, nor the other coaches could make them want to win as bad as we wanted to win. Trust me, I know there are differences in high school and college athletes, I've been there. It is up to a coach to provide players every opportunity to make him/herself better. It is up to the kids to be motivated enough to want to get better.

Great post

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk