Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB vs Northwestern Game Thread: 1/8/20 @7:00 BTN

There are a lot worse things to complain about than what two guys on the bench were doing. It is the lack of energy on the floor that put IU in the hole not lack of enthusiasm on the bench. And, for those taking shots at Justin Smith, IU would not have won without him. The guy scored 18 points, including two key put backs and several rebounds down the stretch. Yes, he played poor defense until the end, but so did everyone else except Al Durham. The poor shooting continues to plague IU but Durham's foul shooting and tough defense helped them avoid a disaster. 

28 minutes ago, Josh said:

Such a weird thing to be upset about.  Green is clapping, and has been mentioned, he was limping.  Perhaps it was better he didn't stand to avoid injury?  Regardless, just a really really weird thing to be angry about after such a debacle of a game.  Thanks for sharing.

Green was asked to go back in twice and said no thanks. For his sake it better because of injury and he should be day to day. 

4 minutes ago, FloridaHoosierGirl said:

Just watched Archie's post game presser and he said all the right things, let's see what happens on Saturday.

We've heard him before but nothing seemed to change.   Despite the win, my Arch-O-Meter took another drop last night.

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Green was asked to go back in twice and said no thanks. For his sake it better because of injury and he should be day to day. 

Yeah.  That's not good if true.

It seemed like he (DG) was playing very subdued from the beginning of the game.  I wondered if maybe he was trying to avoid playing out of control, "bad Devonte" baketball.  Unfortunately, he wasn't doing much of anything during that stretch.  Then, later in the first half he had a wild, out of control type play and went to the bench a while later.  I don't even remember him playing in the second half.

16 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

There are a lot worse things to complain about than what two guys on the bench were doing. It is the lack of energy on the floor that put IU in the hole not lack of enthusiasm on the bench. And, for those taking shots at Justin Smith, IU would not have won without him. The guy scored 18 points, including two key put backs and several rebounds down the stretch. Yes, he played poor defense until the end, but so did everyone else except Al Durham. The poor shooting continues to plague IU but Durham's foul shooting and tough defense helped them avoid a disaster. 

Justin may not have the talent to dominate a game, but he's shown he can be a big contributor.  He,and several other members of the team, has missed a number of "easy" near the bucket shots.  I suspect he makes them in practice.  It might be a confidence thing, IDK.  I took notice of the interchange with CAM.  It very well may have been just a frustration/explanation thing.  Justin is a smart kid and we don't know how he and coach interact.  The fact that he played his butt off during the last part of the game and Archie singled he, Trayce, and Joey out for their contributions down the stretch dispels my concern.

As someone else mentioned, this came after NU got a easy, uncontested layup.  Smith and Hunter appeared to be the two who should have been there.  I don't know who fell asleep defensively on the play, but it's likely Justin was frustrated from what caused the breakdown.

If this team play hard every game like it did the last 10 minutes of last night they will make the tournament.

If they continue to turn it on or off for stretches of games like they have all year, no chance they make the tournament. And it will be a shame because it will be about lack of effort which should never be the issue.

Go Hoosiers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 hours ago, jbell833 said:

The good news is that students return Saturday and this was the last game without students. If you don’t think it makes a difference then you’ve never been to AH with/without students. The energy is much much different without students and these guys feed off it. We always play crappy at home end of December/beginning of January when students are on break, and it’s not a coincidence. Now let’s hope we get things fixed ASAP, Archie realIzes Rob needs to start, puts Devonte on a 2 inch leash, and the energy on Saturday is absolutely insane with The General returning and we come out with a W against Ohio State.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Do you know if Ohio state was part of the student ticket package?  Most students will be heading back on Sat and Sunday.  With an early game, I could see the student section half full.  I 'd hate to see that.  

Can we please start scoring some damn points? The outside shooting and finishing around the rim has been awful. Against any kind of competition, we barely get into the 60's. Defense hasn't been great but will hopefully (?) get better. We need to finish better. Other than the Nebraska game, all of our games recently have been UGLY shooting affairs, in the 37% - 41% range. Put the ball in the basket for godsakes.

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

This is the photo folks to which people could be referring. It apparently came late in the game after a big TJD bucket. As far as what it means or doesn't mean, judge for yourselves ... 

82109488_1174689582736144_3724633228644974592_o.jpg

It's clear that we're playing terrible basketball (again).  I think some people would rather place the blame on the kids learning to play the game and some people would rather place the blame on the adult to whom we're paying millions of dollars.  One seems to make a lot more sense than the other to me

Such a weird thing to be upset about.  Green is clapping, and has been mentioned, he was limping.  Perhaps it was better he didn't stand to avoid injury?  Regardless, just a really really weird thing to be angry about after such a debacle of a game.  Thanks for sharing.

Well you play like crap so you get benched. Having a little bit of a limp isn’t an excuse for some unenthusiastic clapping. Should have been enough adrenaline going through him because the team was playing well to not even notice a little bit of pain. He’s just a crybaby senior sitting next to a crybaby senior. Both need gone.

It's clear that we're playing terrible basketball (again).  I think some people would rather place the blame on the kids learning to play the game and some people would rather place the blame on the adult to whom we're paying millions of dollars.  One seems to make a lot more sense than the other to me

How about placing the blame on both? Green rightfully deserved to be on the bench. He was terrible. Honestly did even think Al played well at all either but he got to the FT line often. Smith had a lapse but came back strong to help win the game. TJD was TJD for the most part. Coaches have to coach and players have to play. Sometimes a coach has to bench a guy. But a player should still be cheering on his team even though he was benched.

Blaming both makes the most sense to me.

These last few posts reminded me of posts I read in an Illinois forum on Illinoishighschoolsports.com about coaches failing to get kids to play hard.
I tend to agree with this post.

"
The whole premise of the coach not firing them up is coming from people that have never played high level of basketball. Win one for the Gipper is bologna... It doesn't work. I've had 2 opposite types of basketball coaches in college and high school. Both didn't 'get me fired up' more than the other.

You don't think Underwood is yelling at them? Laughable.

It's on the player to be focused when he steps on the court.

Now, I'm not taking all blame away from BU. He didn't adjust to how Mizzou was playing them.

But let's drop the fired up crap. That's not on a coach."

Archie can get the blame for playing players who aren't contributing, no in game adjustments etc

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

Does IU have a lacrosse team?

No. Only club teams.

Some Big Ten teams field Lacrosse and Big Ten has sport but IU is not one of them to field it. We also don't field Ice Hockey and Gymnastics which Big Ten offers.