Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB vs Northwestern Game Thread: 1/8/20 @7:00 BTN

Wow, just took a look at the box score. I didn’t realize the scoring was so lopsided to a few players.

Jackson-Davis, Smith, and Durham had 55 of the 66 points... Brunk rebounded well.

Again, I was not sold on Brunk contributing that much on this team. He’s rebounded well and has been solid. I wish he’d take over the leadership duties and finally have this team turn a corner in effort and attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

22 minutes ago, bleedhoosier said:

Oh yea, I paused on that moment with Green and Davis mad at the world. Over it. This is a them problem and I'd move on without them at this point forward. Mop up duty or foul relief.

Yessir.

I saw it when it happened. That moment was as pissed as I’ve been watching IUBB in quite a while.

27 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Maybe I’m wrong but it really looked like Justin Smith was imitating the move of the offensive player and explaining why he got lost on defense during that exchange. I could be wrong and your surely not the first to take issue with that exchange, that is just what it appeared like to me but I honestly didn’t rewind to rewatch but I know one of the mods did. 

That's what I thought as well.  And that Justin was frustrated by it. Seems like he might be on of those guys who gets upset when you point out the obvious.

Agreed. I’m pretty confused by all the compliments going his way tonight. He led the team in TOs and fouls while playing absolute garbage on ball defense and contributing nothing on offense until the last couple minutes where he had a couple nice passes. Al penetrated the zone where Green tried to shot over/pass through it and Rob stood around and passed along the perimeter. What we needed from the guards was dribble penetration, spacing from the bigs on the paint. 

I agree. You could see the difference when Al went out at the 6 minute or so mark. Al had been paying fairly tight D right after the inbound. Not overly aggressive but persistent enough that NW offense got out of rhythm. Then Rob comes in and he plays just token D and does nothing to inhibit their offense. It looks similar because you are talking only a foot or so difference but it allowed them to get comfortable. Plus a couple times in that stretch Rob forgot to pick his guy up on the inbound pass and had to run up to meet him near mid court.

With as bad as we play offense, if we played defense with intensity at every position then we would score from our D.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

46 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Yep.  Those guys really haven't contributed much of anything and it's not looking like they will.

I have to admit that I'm disappointed in Hunter so far.  I expected he'd be starting to show some flashes by now, but he's really been terrible shooting the ball (bankshot 3-pointer included).

When he misses he makes sure they're ugly.

44 minutes ago, mark1981 said:

Fischer asked archie in the pregame if it was time to shrink the lineup.  I laughed out loud

According to his post game press conference he said "maybe the 11 man rotation isn't working."  Well thank you captain obvious.  

Seems like the Davis theory is making itself more and more visible. And since he and Devonte are besties...

Man. Early on I really didn’t think Deron was that type of personality. And boy did we want him to overcome the injury bug. Unfortunately, however, it seems he got over it just to come down with a case of Devonte Green-itis. If that’s how they’re going to conduct themselves they can go ahead and kick rocks yesterday. Team cancers need cut out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I wasn't able to watch about the last 30 minutes of this game--thank god--but it sounds pretty d*** harsh. The Devonte and De'Ron bench antics sound similar to last season's storylines which ultimately may have contributed to the demise of the season. It's a shame too because those are two of the more talented players on the roster. I absolutely hate to bring up that cliche Kevin Durant hardworking/talent quote but it really does hold true here. Sadly the only way to rid the team of that negative energy would be to kick the negative energy off the team but that won't happen. I know I said that both of them should be playing more often earlier today in another thread but I will happily eat crow if sitting them means more effort and more W's. I just wish for the interests of the two of them and for the sake of the team that they'd man up a bit. I'd also like to see Archie call em out through some bench film or what not. 

As for trimming the 11 man roster... finally. This is not a very talented roster to begin with, 4 or 5 top 100 HS recruits I believe, and very limited offensive prowess throughout the squad so it's pretty mind-boggling that 11 guys play when there already is a talent shortage. 

9 hours ago, bleedhoosier said:

Oh yea, I paused on that moment with Green and Davis mad at the world. Over it. This is a them problem and I'd move on without them at this point forward. Mop up duty or foul relief.

Good.  Maybe he'll finally start holding players accountable.

9 hours ago, bleedhoosier said:

I'd say they can sit until Miller gets tired, but that'd probably make the problem worse.  So, get them out.

That’s the best we can play against a basement league team with some of their best players not playing on our home court?

God help us.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

The good news is that students return Saturday and this was the last game without students. If you don’t think it makes a difference then you’ve never been to AH with/without students. The energy is much much different without students and these guys feed off it. We always play crappy at home end of December/beginning of January when students are on break, and it’s not a coincidence. Now let’s hope we get things fixed ASAP, Archie realIzes Rob needs to start, puts Devonte on a 2 inch leash, and the energy on Saturday is absolutely insane with The General returning and we come out with a W against Ohio State.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 hours ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

how many times did the IU defense force a steal only for the transition offense to run the length of the court, with help, and try to shoot a layup straight through the only northwestern guys in position to defend under the basket, and of course miss and/or get swatted down, and lose possession? 

It's happened so much under Archie I figure it must be under his orders.  He certainly doesn't clean that part of our "offense" up.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Wait...why are people so upset with Green and Davis?  Because of a photograph?  I'm sorry if I missed it.

yeah. What happened? I didn't get to watch the game...or any for that matter so what did Green and DD do?

Just now, LamarCheeks said:

This is the photo folks to which people could be referring. It apparently came late in the game after a big TJD bucket. I have no idea what it's about, so judge for yourselves ... 

82109488_1174689582736144_3724633228644974592_o.jpg

Such a weird thing to be upset about.  Green is clapping, and has been mentioned, he was limping.  Perhaps it was better he didn't stand to avoid injury?  Regardless, just a really really weird thing to be angry about after such a debacle of a game.  Thanks for sharing.

Just now, Josh said:

Such a weird thing to be upset about.  Green is clapping, and has been mentioned, he was limping.  Perhaps it was better he didn't stand to avoid injury?  Regardless, just a really really weird thing to be angry about after such a debacle of a game.  Thanks for sharing.

I think I agree to an extent. I think people see this combined with the rumblings of upperclassmen having a disconnect with the coaching staff and start connecting the dots. Not sure how accurate any of it is, but this was something I definitely noticed during the game. I definitely feel for Davis and all the injuries and he was a bit fun to watch early in his IU career but he doesn't seem to help us this year. Green...I'm not sure about to be honest, such a frustrating player to watch at times.