Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

17 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not even remotely close. The concerns would still be there. Stop pretending like the people who are worried are fickle. We are looking beyond wins and losses and looking at the product. 

We failed to show up on defense for 12 minutes. 

Our offense shut down during the final four minutes because of a terrible line up. 

Those things don’t go away because one shot goes down. 

Why on earth would you look beyond wins and losses?  That's what the game is all about.

The defense didn't fail to show up.  Sure it could have been better in spots but come on, Maryland just flat out couldn't miss to start the game.

We had 6 turnovers, scored 70+ points, were down a big man in Race Thompson, and it still came down to the last shot.

Let me remind you that even the most optimistic predictions for this year's team had us winning roughly 22 games.  I think we should have no problem winning 5 more.

Just now, AKHoosier said:

Why on earth would you look beyond wins and losses?  That's what the game is all about.

The defense didn't fail to show up.  Sure it could have been better in spots but come on, Maryland just flat out couldn't miss to start the game.

We had 6 turnovers, scored 70+ points, were down a big man in Race Thompson, and it still came down to the last shot.

Let me remind you that even the most optimistic predictions for this year's team had us winning roughly 22 games.  I think we should have no problem winning 5 more.

Why look passed wins and losses?  Maybe because not all wins are good. The comeback win against UC Davis was evidence of future struggles regardless of it being a win. 

They were wide open. Of course they went down. 

6 turnovers was good. We still let Green go full hero mode and waste possessions at the end of the game. 

You thinking we shouldn’t have a problem winning 5 more is not evidence. We’ve had a Cush big ten schedule so far. It’s getting harder

4 hours ago, raorIU said:

Single biggest complaint I have actually originated with Crean but persists with Archie:

losing close games due to confusion and poor execution when you have multiple unspent timeouts

I just don't understand. If you're a coach, using a timeout is one of the few ways to directly influence the game.

If you want to be a coach, coach. If you want to be a spectator, do so from somewhere not the bench.

Assembly Call had a post about coaches and close games. Archie is actually one of the top coaches in close games. His winning % in close games is actually very very good. 

56 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Why look passed wins and losses?  Maybe because not all wins are good. The comeback win against UC Davis was evidence of future struggles regardless of it being a win. 

They were wide open. Of course they went down. 

6 turnovers was good. We still let Green go full hero mode and waste possessions at the end of the game. 

You thinking we shouldn’t have a problem winning 5 more is not evidence. We’ve had a Cush big ten schedule so far. It’s getting harder

Green actually played a good game, until the end. His good play up to that point earned him the minutes late. Archie always rides the hot hands in end game situations. Green went into hero mode and took a dumb shot. Hunter turned it over. TJD missed a bunny for the win. That shot goes down and everyone is thrilled. Maryland is a really good team and everyone was saying that IU needed to go 1-1 on this tough home stand. They were a missed bunny from going 2-0. Tough road ahead, but the goal is still the same. Just male the NCAA’s. Team keeps playing like they have the last couple weeks and we will be fine in selection Sunday. 

Just now, Feathery said:

Green actually played a good game, until the end. His good play up to that point earned him the minutes late. Archie always rides the hot hands in end game situations. Green went into hero mode and took a dumb shot. Hunter turned it over. TJD missed a bunny for the win. That shot goes down and everyone is thrilled. Maryland is a really good team and everyone was saying that IU needed to go 1-1 on this tough home stand. They were a missed bunny from going 2-0. Tough road ahead, but the goal is still the same. Just male the NCAA’s. Team keeps playing like they have the last couple weeks and we will be fine in selection Sunday. 

Green had a decent scoring night. But the previous time he was in the offense got stagnant as well. Phinisee and Al should have been in. Offense was much more dynamic and challenging to Maryland when they were playing. 

Durham’s shot before that was the one people on BTN was talking about as the turning point. Looking forward to watch B1G basketball and beyond to see what they have to say

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Green had a decent scoring night. But the previous time he was in the offense got stagnant as well. Phinisee and Al should have been in. Offense was much more dynamic and challenging to Maryland when they were playing. 

Honestly, I’m indifferent on Green and Al. I think both have a limited ceiling overall and that Rob and Franklin have higher ceilings. So I have no issue with who was on the court to end the game. Now those players decisions I question. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not even remotely close. The concerns would still be there. Stop pretending like the people who are worried are fickle. We are looking beyond wins and losses and looking at the product. 

We failed to show up on defense for 12 minutes. 

Our offense shut down during the final four minutes because of a terrible line up. 

Those things don’t go away because one shot goes down. 

This comment is why many question those of you who still have concerns.   I watched the start of the game twice, and Maryland's offense was almost flawless.  Indiana wasn't late on rotations, guys weren't out of position, help was solid, stunts were good....Maryland moved the ball and made shots.   They're inconsistent like....every team in college basketball it seems, but for that 12 minutes?  They were terrific.   That observation by itself is why your motives are consistently in question.   It's not that you're fickle, it's because you're either not objective or not really watching.

11 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

Really proud of the way we played today.

Maryland just hit their shots.  Frustrating to blow that lead late, but they are no doubt more talented than us.

If TJD's last second shot went in, Archie has changed as a coach and team is "turning things around".  But it goes out, and he still doesn't get it and the fans just accept losses.  lol.

We shot a higher fg, three point and ft % than Maryland. Out rebounded them and only had 6 turnovers and still found a way to lose.

7 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

We shot a higher fg, three point and ft % than Maryland. Out rebounded them and only had 6 turnovers and still found a way to lose.

Maryland made more FT than we attempted, which was a 4 point swing and the game. 

14 hours ago, Old Friend said:

The more I read, the more I think a few people will blame a coach for every loss and fail to see anything positive or see what's REALLY happening with this team and program.  

This game isn't on Archie.  Not even a little bit unless you blame him ( and it's a fair point) for having Green in the game late.   Maryland is national title good  if they play and shoot that way.  Indiana is so much better now than they were even a month ago and it's not close.    I remember reading somewhere about what would happen when we (Hunter and Phinisee specifically) got healthy.....

I've found that it's very common for message board posters to blame the coach by default (refs being a distant second). I've been watching IU basketball since the mid 1970`s and realize that while I recognise good play, I don't have any idea about the multiple factors that go into determining the result of a game.

Maybe the ones who criticize the head coach after a loss are significantly more knowledgeable than me, but I tend to believe it's usually a knee-jerk, lazy way to express their displeasure. That's not to say the coach can't, or doesn't make mistakes.

Of course some of those who gripe after a loss are simply chronic complainers.  I get it though, we're hungry for success (and by extension good play).  We lost in disappointing fashion yesterday, but at the same time we've been seeing the best stretch of quality play in the Archie era.

11 hours ago, Feathery said:

Honestly, I’m indifferent on Green and Al. I think both have a limited ceiling overall and that Rob and Franklin have higher ceilings. So I have no issue with who was on the court to end the game. Now those players decisions I question. 

Fully agree.

Devonte is who he is. That mold is cast.  The challenge for the coaches is to manage his minutes.  Durham is SO frustrating to me - the kid hustles, plays hard and seems to follow the script but just has instances of poor decision making.

If there's any single fault for this loss, IMO it was the number of shots missed from near the charge/block semi-circle.

16 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I was scared of Penn St early on but now that we are playing hard I believe we win this next game

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

And after road teams starting 7-42 (maybe 43), they are 8-5 since Tuesday. I don't think this indicates that it is any less difficult playing on the road now than it was 2 weeks ago. But I feel better about stealing another road win at this point. Why not Happy Valley? 

I will reiterate my position in that we were absolutely the better team yesterday, but none of that matters when it comes to a complete breakdown in the last minute. Next year with most of these same players, that won't happen. The team will have grown too much and be too smart. Things aren't all bleak with this one.

Probably not gonna watch the PSU game because of this game's destruction of my mental capacity to watch another IU game for a few days, but still proud of the way this team played, just not the B1G officiating and Archie's inability to call a time out and set up a play.

edit: sorry this wasn't negative enough

I will reiterate my position in that we were absolutely the better team yesterday, but none of that matters when it comes to a complete breakdown in the last minute. Next year with most of these same players, that won't happen. The team will have grown too much and be too smart. Things aren't all bleak with this one.
Probably not gonna watch the PSU game because of this game's destruction of my mental capacity to watch another IU game for a few days, but still proud of the way this team played, just not the B1G officiating and Archie's inability to call a time out and set up a play.

edit: sorry this wasn't negative enough
You are skipping watching a game. It don't get any more negative than that!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Old Friend said:

This comment is why many question those of you who still have concerns.   I watched the start of the game twice, and Maryland's offense was almost flawless.  Indiana wasn't late on rotations, guys weren't out of position, help was solid, stunts were good....Maryland moved the ball and made shots.   They're inconsistent like....every team in college basketball it seems, but for that 12 minutes?  They were terrific.   That observation by itself is why your motives are consistently in question.   It's not that you're fickle, it's because you're either not objective or not really watching.

I don’t know about this. I saw plenty of wide open shots in those first 12, especially from the corner. Maryland was unconscious in the first half so I agree they made shots but I wouldn’t go as far to say the defense was perfect. Even in the second half they got some wide open looks from the corner, IU just lucked out their shooting starting showing their true colors.

I agree that the team has improved tremendously over the last month which is great to see. Just thought I’d provide a little backup to Brass Cannon at the risk of myself. I’m sure I’ll get torn apart for it but I thought we were hedging far too strongly and thus had to scramble back to defend. That seemed to be adjusted at halftime as Brunk was the main culprit in those first 12 on Smith but seemed much better to start the second half. Just my immediate observations watching the game and not bothering with a rewatch of it.

Still not advocating for Archie’s dismissal fwiw, just don’t think the criticisms provided in here aren’t without merit

3 hours ago, pumpfake said:

Fully agree.

Devonte is who he is. That mold is cast.  The challenge for the coaches is to manage his minutes.  Durham is SO frustrating to me - the kid hustles, plays hard and seems to follow the script but just has instances of poor decision making.

If there's any single fault for this loss, IMO it was the number of shots missed from near the charge/block semi-circle.

I think Durham is the kind of guy you love to have on your team and come off the bench. He can bring that hustle and determination that opposing teams hate off the bench. But the other guys at his position are not better than he is right now, or they aren’t ready yet.  So he starts by default. 

I do think Franklin will surpass Al by next season and be the starter next to Rob. I expect TJD to stay. Next year, IMO, is the year that we challenge for the Big Ten title.