Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

Let's face it.  Something has changed.  Since the alleged locker room blowup, some guys have a fire up their butt.  The rotation has gotten shorter, and players who aren't performing are spending less time on the floor. 

Now, if we could just tidy up the free throws.   

1 minute ago, Golfman25 said:

So you mean the fans there last night, going nuts, and supporting the team?  If recruits are complaining about fans, you're recruiting the wrong players.  

Nope as I have said many times, has nothing to do with the fans at the game. Were talking about a quote that was in the MSU SI article that said some recruits are saying no thanks to IU because of fans. Might be fans on social media, might be fans on message boards, might just be fans at AAU events. I have no idea but I have seen it online. I don't think it would be something I would factor in with the recruiting of my son, but it seems like some parents and kids do. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

I see a lot of stuff from this fanbase towards recruits. Garcia for example. Most of it would be considered positive albeit creepy. 

This is an important point. The stuff going on around the Garcia recruitment from extremely loud (and popular) voices in this fanbase was flat out weird. It was all positive, but it would have made me uncomfortable as a recruit. If that makes me soft, so be it, but that shizz was weird, man. 

3 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

This is an important point. The stuff going on around the Garcia recruitment from extremely loud (and popular) voices in this fanbase was flat out weird. It was all positive, but it would have made me uncomfortable as a recruit. If that makes me soft, so be it, but that shizz was weird, man. 

We’re essentially as a fanbase that creepy dude at the party that is too desperate. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

We’re essentially as a fanbase that creepy dude at the party that is too desperate. 

And the hot girls are never, ever with the creepy desperate dude. Maybe that didn’t make up Dawson’s mind, but I have trouble believing that stuff going on didn’t play a part in his decision and I said as much at the time. Wonder if that ever caught Archie’s attention...I’m guessing it did. 

13 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

just say it -- the peegs aligned Hoosier Hysterics ****** bags.

You have idiots in every fan base. I would hope the kids we are recruiting would see the passionate fans at games like last night, and realize that is the majority of our fan base. 

Social media has given a lot of lunatics an outlet to connect directly with kids, coaches, etc....but living in Indiana and working in Kentucky and the Midwest, our fan base has an equal share of idiots in comparison to the other power schools. Maybe there are a select few cases where we missed out on a kid, but they are naive if they think those fans won't also be at their chosen school. Those cases may be secondary reasons for the kids not choosing IU, but I would have a hard time imagining that is the primary factor. 

6 minutes ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

I'm glad someone brought up that SI article, because I read it last night and oh boy, it's a hot mess, almost completely unreadable. I trust it about as much as I trust any Spartan writer.

I just read the article...very interesting. I guess I'm not sure why he included this in his recap of the game. Seems very out of place, and potentially a stand alone article. Straight from Statistics to a weird shot at the program and fans....Was he pissed off about losing, and felt the need to make himself "feel" better by taking a shot at the program. Odd.

1 minute ago, monskisprodigy said:

I just read the article...very interesting. I guess I'm not sure why he included this in his recap of the game? Statistics to a weird shot at the program and fans....Was he pissed off about losing, and felt the need to make himself "feel" better by taking a shot at the program. Odd.

It was a weird and totally out of left-field jab that didn't fit anywhere into the actual article. Not even to mention the article itself is terribly written and reads more like a high school essay. How this guy writes for Sports Illustrated is insane to me.

This is absolutely ludicrous.

Give me a break about the fans. It’s complete nonsense. It’s a simple built in excuse if someone wants to make one.

Are the quotes true? How were they obtained? What guided questions prompted those responses if even true?

COMPLETE GARBAGE!

Good players get so, so, so much love from the Indiana fan base. We show up at their NBA games in Indiana gear. Love on social media.

Bad players get some hate, sure. But not disproportionately. Every fan base does this, including Purdue who isn’t seen as a pressure cooker environment at all.

Now.....style, winning, pace of play, benefits, payments, perks, swag, living arrangements, playing time........ now we are talking.

Absurdity.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

So only one team can have idiotic fans? Is there a weekly ranking of teams with bad fans? I don't get the argument of fans can't be a problem because UK has them too. No one is saying that fans are the whole problem but they are part of the problem. Recruits have said it about IU, Coaches have said it, writers have but you can't tell some people anything. 

Okay... so UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Arizona, UCLA, USC, Florida, UConn, Louisville, Texas, West Virginia... get the point? All fan bases are that way. This piece is just trash from some writer.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

13 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy_72 said:

just say it -- the peegs aligned Hoosier Hysterics ****** bags.

I will agree on this. Some of their tweets and behavior was truly embarrassing. I believe the IDS even wrote an article and referenced their tweets. The need for grown adults to engage high school teens will always baffle me.

But...I am also a firm believe that no grown man should wear candy stripe pants unless they are on the court warming up...but I know those are fighting words among some haha.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Nope as I have said many times, has nothing to do with the fans at the game. Were talking about a quote that was in the MSU SI article that said some recruits are saying no thanks to IU because of fans. Might be fans on social media, might be fans on message boards, might just be fans at AAU events. I have no idea but I have seen it online. I don't think it would be something I would factor in with the recruiting of my son, but it seems like some parents and kids do. 

It wasn't a specific question to you.  But how do we even know they are fans?  Maybe it's some dude in Kentucky sitting in his underwear smoking Marlboros and drinking PBR.   To me, it's just a side show, excuse.   

I don't think it's just Brooks though. If it's me and I'm hoping to be a one & done or two and done I'm picking UK every day of the week. But I do think it has been others in the last two years that have had IU fans make ridiculous posts on social media about them. Again this is just what I believe from living here, working here and being around the program. 
I don't believe fans give recruits crap until after they commit elsewhere so how would that be a factor if they had already decided to go elsewhere? And if it's a precedent from prior recruits then yeah every fan base has the same problem or at least the one's that care so I don't buy any of it. In fact didn't Garcia just recently rave about the IU fan base?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Interesting statistic: "This is the first time basketball’s ticket sales eclipsed $11 million, and this was the fifth consecutive year that total has been above $10 million."

I’m REALLY glad someone finally brought up the Hoosier Hysterics guys. They are the most cringe-worthy fans I’ve ever seen in my life. I seriously can’t believe how popular they’ve become with people like Peegs, Rabjohns, former players, Knight for crying out loud. The main guy legit started a Dawson Garcia chant during that Blue Bird event and essentially wrote love letters to him on Twitter. They make extremely weird/cringey videos and tweets regularly. Just super strange behavior from 40+ year old adults.

To the fanbase point, it’s ridiculous. The people bringing up the seemingly loud minority are just as bad as them. The positive fans outweigh the negative 100-1, but for some ridiculous reason people in the media and recruits, which I believe is a total copout and an easy reason to say they went somewhere else, like to site this as reasons for our recruiting woes. It’s like having hundreds of fans waiting for your autograph, to only point out the one guy in the back booing you, and picking up and leaving because you were upset about the one guy. It’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. People with power that are affiliated with IU and pushing this narrative are hurting us even more by shedding light on a phenomenon that doesn’t exist. It’s giving a voice to those that don’t deserve an ounce of thought.

I consider myself an Archie believer and I’m not buying the whole fan base is causing us recruiting issues. We have a couple of issues right now (I believe) 1) IU isn’t playing the game when it comes to recruiting. 2) W/L over the last couple of years. I’m hoping this year helps with number 2. I don’t think Archie will ever roll in top 5 classes. I think he can win with solid classes geared towards his goals. I’m starting to see a different coach that’s not trying to push a square peg through a round hole.

Time will tell if Coach Miller is the answer, but the fan base won’t be the reason for his failure or his success (outside the fans @ the game - See last night) wins and loses will determine how his tenure is judged.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners