Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Right now, our defense is good enough to win.  Statistically way better than it was under Crean.  Offensively, we're not there.  Fans watch offense. Players WANT offense, and when it looks bad, people generally feel the team looks bad.   I completely understand that.  

The problem is basketball requires both offense and defense.  Sure you can be better at one, but you can' t sacrifice one for the other.   Our defense is fine, more than enough.  But when you can't hit water if you fell out of a boat you're going to have problems.  

Hard to say. Offense is clunky in general. Maybe hitting shots would open things up. Probably it would. Rarely see back cuts. It’s just a bunch of pick and rolls with some ball reversals. Throw in a few post feeds here and there. That’s Archies offense. What hurts as much as not having shooters is that our PGs aren’t great playmakers. None of them, this includes Rob.

Who on our team can break someone down off the dribble? Hmm also no one.

That’s our roster Archie has created.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree 100%. I noticed a couple games ago, guys would make a pick or screen and then roll to the basket and nothing ever materializes out of those high screen and rolls. You would think we would get an easy basket once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree 100%. I noticed a couple games ago, guys would make a pick or screen and then roll to the basket and nothing ever materializes out of those high screen and rolls. You would think we would get an easy basket once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

We don’t score on them because they are lazy as hell and the defense isn’t worried about getting beat by the ball handler because they aren’t ever attacking.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don't disagree with you that at some point it falls back on the coach, but this is really just his second season,  he STILL hasn't had a year that wasn't plagued by significant injury, and last season (I'm not convinced THIS season)

I’ve actually thought this season has been wildly healthy. We haven’t lost anyone to season ending injury and we haven’t had multiple players unavailable at the same time, that’s pretty good!

I think we’ve been quite fortunate

46 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I’ve actually thought this season has been wildly healthy. We haven’t lost anyone to season ending injury and we haven’t had multiple players unavailable at the same time, that’s pretty good!

I think we’ve been quite fortunate

Phinisee hasn't been healthy all year and missed a few games, Hunter is still recovering and nowhere near himself yet, Green missed some time, Davis is still in recovery mode and slower than he was prior to his injury   Wildly healthy seems a stretch, no?

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

The problem is basketball requires both offense and defense.  Sure you can be better at one, but you can' t sacrifice one for the other.   Our defense is fine, more than enough.  But when you can't hit water if you fell out of a boat you're going to have problems.  

Really?  It does?

Why even post this?  You're not talking to a three year old.  Read my post in full and apply context to it.  Good grief....do you seriously think this is some enlightening realization?   I even said offensively we're not there.  And we aren't, I agree.  But a coach is also responsible for improvement, and defense has improved.  Is it written somewhere that both ends have to improve at the same speed?  

Indiana is a work in progress, but it's not like there's no improvement  at all, nor is it time to move on.  Way too much to the story.  Next season?  If we're in the same spot we are now?  I think it's more than reasonable.

Really?  It does?
Why even post this?  You're not talking to a three year old.  Read my post in full and apply context to it.  Good grief....do you seriously think this is some enlightening realization?   I even said offensively we're not there.  And we aren't, I agree.  But a coach is also responsible for improvement, and defense has improved.  Is it written somewhere that both ends have to improve at the same speed?  
Indiana is a work in progress, but it's not like there's no improvement  at all, nor is it time to move on.  Way too much to the story.  Next season?  If we're in the same spot we are now?  I think it's more than reasonable.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed again? Yikes.

Phinisee hasn't been healthy all year and missed a few games, Hunter is still recovering and nowhere near himself yet, Green missed some time, Davis is still in recovery mode and slower than he was prior to his injury   Wildly healthy seems a stretch, no?

Phinisee is playing. He’s healthy. We have no clue what Hunter being himself in college is. This could easily be who he is. Green just isn’t good even when healthy and Davis will always be out of shape. This team is what we expected. Or at least should have expected.

Phinisee is playing. He’s healthy. We have no clue what Hunter being himself in college is. This could easily be who he is. Green just isn’t good even when healthy and Davis will always be out of shape. This team is what we expected. Or at least should have expected.

Phinisee is playing. Appears he is healthy enough to play but is that the same as being fully healthy and playing? Just going by what was reported he could be playing through something that is going to be with him all season.

14 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He's apparently healthy enough to play, that doesn't mean he's 100% though.  Watching him, he doesn't look right.

The alternative?  More Green, and I want absolutely no part of that.

Phinisee is playing. Appears he is healthy enough to play but is that the same as being fully healthy and playing? Just going by what was reported he could be playing through something that is going to be with him all season.

He hasn’t looked good since the beginning of last season. This could just be who he is now.

Nobody on the team is injured, that’s wildly fortunate. When your 11th man is the only one on the injury report this far into a season and that injury is nothing serious, that’s pretty darn good.

That’s been the case all year, with 10-11 out of 11 players physically cleared to play each game this season.

He hasn’t looked good since the beginning of last season. This could just be who he is now.

Maybe or maybe he gets fully healthy and finishes his sophomore year strong to go along with an impressive freshman year. Maybe he becomes a strong upper class man leader. Or maybe he just stinks it up. If I had to guess I would guess he continues to improve as he gets older and becomes one of the better point guards in the B1G. I’m glad he chose IU over offers from Ohio St, Virginia, and Purdue

Lol. Big time revelation there. Such a bold and revealing statement. Former players probably had a big meeting recently and collectively surmised that we aren’t where we want to be. Likely a joint statement to be released soon. Though maybe they’ll wait to see if we are still projected to be in the tourney field after a solid road win and right before a huge resume opportunity week before releasing it. Glad to have absorbed such incredible insight.

6845EED7-373C-4F5F-BAFE-3CC67D1E795F-6730-000004313CDEF5A7.jpg