Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

Technology can be a great thing if people use it correctly. It can be one of the worst things in the world also. It's one thing to be passionate, I totally get that...what is wrong for me is when some of the fans rip into these people that they dont even know and make it personal...call them lazy, entitled, etc. Louisville, kentucky, duke, North Carolina all have the same groups and are probably worse than iu fans ever thought about being. And no, it shouldn't affect recruiting, but in the past year....brooks dad and others around Brooks did allude to the fanbase online, and I'm pretty sure quinones did as well. And maybe we didn't need those recruits, maybe they aren't the right fit for our programs. Its not just fans I'm talking about, its people in general. We cant just post anything we want at any time. We are supposed to strive to be better than that. 

I remember the Brooks saying that. He chose to go to UK and I remember their fans said they did not want him. So either our staff does not bring these things to the attentions recruits or the Brooks did not know UK fans could read and thus would not have a message board.

I agree that “fans” should not disparage recruits or current players. But it happens everywhere and our fans are no different than any other program.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, wirenuts said:

When was it pointed out that it was all of the fans....if you are referring to my post, it very clearly says some of the fans. Either way, I'm not here for a semantics discussion on it. If you believe that IU fans can and should spout off personal attacks on a Facebook page.... Then I'll just agree to disagree and call it a day

No the equivalent here would be all the fanbases. 

6 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

Yep, 26 pages in 3 days. Here's the cliff-notes version for all the stragglers:

- A lot of people are pretty ticked at Archie

-Some people are upset that a lot of people are ticked at Archie

- Kentucky fans are psychopaths. ( Nothing new there, but I always like to point that out).

- The Chicago Cubs never had a manager for more than 6 seasons during their 108 year World Series drought

- Mdn and Josh are having drinks at Nips house in Florida in June or July. I think we should all crash the party.

You forgot about the part where Chris is actually a tanning bed salesman. That is the most useful info on this whole thread, in my opinion

2 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Believe it or not, I think we're actually on the same page and saying roughly the same thing. Responses in line below. 

You had me until number 3. As we go through shitty season after shitty season the fans are the most consistent and supportive thing we have.

I actually mentioned that the fans continue to show up. 

We had one of the highest season attendance of any school in the country after a 6 win season.

I also singled out the 6 win season, where fans still supported.

We’re not of a different species where we think and act so differently then every other fanbase (I said, "This happens with fanbases that are passionate and care"), while dwindling daily, there are just a lot of us which is a great thing that makes us special. I also said we can be the best thing about IU basketball. 

Where I think we start to differ from other fanbases (or "be of a different species") is our actual level of expectations and how vocal we become. Because we demand (as we should) to be competing, or at least showing we can compete at the same level of other blue bloods, we get impatient more easily and react by calling for heads. And its not just some rumblings on a message board. It's loud and widespread. I'm not even saying we shouldn't, it just is what it is. But we would be silly not to understand how that would play into a coaches decision on how attractive this job is. 

If Jordan and Holtmann think the fan bases as OSU and Butler wouldn’t be concerned and questioning them after missing the tourney in their first, second and very realistically third season on the job they are kidding themselves.

I'm sure they would. But that is all relative. OSU is football first, second and third. Even if OSU fans were upset with a basketball coach's results, it wouldn't compare to the noise they would make being upset with football results. And Butler just doesn't have as big of a fan base to scream at a coach. It's just not the same. 

OSU has no problem firing anyone

13 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Ok it seemed as if you were suggesting that it would negatively impact recruiting but to me all schools have these. I just looked and Louisville has one and there were a lot of negative comments posted this weekend.

I just get tired of folks blaming our fans. We are not any different from any passionate fan base.

Couldn’t agree more.  Our fans are not the issue at all.  Every large fanbase is passionate and somewhat off their rocker.

I’m starting to think this “fans are the problem argument” has become the go to argument for the non-objective sunshine pumpers.  They truly have nothing tangible to defend Archie with so they come up with baseless accusations against the fans that are demanding better results.  Same exact $h1t happened under Crean.  You guys are really doing some mental gymnastics if you think the fans are any where near the top 5 issues plaguing the IU program.

To be honest, I don’t buy the Lavall Jordan story on here for one second.  I’m really supposed to believe Butler’s coach, after a win, with random people in attendance is discussing IU and our fans.  Seems a little too perfect to fit into the preferred narrative.

Edited by hoohoome2

On 1/4/2020 at 7:37 PM, Bowhunter said:

When I found out we hired Archie I was pretty upset . We were hearing big name rumors and I was pumped up. This year I still feel the same. I see what Chris Mack has done and Holtman is recruiting well. Both appear to be better hires so far. 

As much as I try to refrain from linking to other message boards, here are two extensive threads from this week that y'all may find insightful:    ;)

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/board/123/Contents/is-holtman-the-answer-141589343/

https://247sports.com/college/louisville/board/103990/Contents/what-is-macks-buyout-141811041/

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

OMG other fan bases can demand high standards too and be just as looney as we are!!  Again our fan base is 100% not the issue.

Just now, hoohoome2 said:

OMG other fan bases can demand high standards too and be just as looney as we are!!  Again our fan base is 100% not the issue.

Yeah ... I don't think the ferocity of our fan-base is a major problem at all.

I do think that the reports of the demise of Archie Miller's potential as a 'top of the top tier' P5 basketball coach and program leader are WAY overstated and premature.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yeah ... I don't think the ferocity of our fan-base is a major problem at all.

I do think that the reports of the demise of Archie Miller's potential as a 'top of the top tier' P5 basketball coach and program leader are WAY overstated and premature.

I agree as well, but Archie really needs to adjust some things or he’s going to be shown the door.  Basketball is fluid, a style that worked 10 years ago may not work as well in today’s game.  Archie has to see that and make the appropriate pivot.

I saw this in another thread, but I didn't want to derail it.

Why are Juatin and Al labeled as Crean players?  I know he signed them, but Archie actively recruited them to stay with IU.   They didn't play a single minute for Crean.  They could have easily been let out of their LOIs for Archie to bring in McKinley Wright or whoever he wanted.  Instead, Archie decided that he wanted them on his team and actively worked to make sure they would become his players.

Blaming Crean at all for them is just another excuse imo.