Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

Not to go after anyone directly so don’t take this the wrong way, but I think it’s crazy so many people are jumping on Chris for relaying what another coach told him. It’s fine that we all, as fans, have differing opinions on the coach and state of the program. But as fans, our opinions on a forum don’t matter, if the perception amongst coaches is that Indiana will start yelling for a coach to get fired if they don’t like them after two years that is very telling. Like I’ve said before, at the time we made Archie a top 10 paid coach and that was the quality we got, whether you were for it or against it at the time, that’s what we get at this time. If we could pull someone like a Pearl caliber coach away from where they were currently at then I’d be all for it but I don’t see that happening. I’m not saying I want to see Archie here for another 5 years if things continue to progress this way, but it’s insane to fire him after 3 years with no certainty of a replacement, we’ll be back in the same spot we are now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That other coach had his fans calling for his firing his second year. I posted the message board thread discussing this earlier. https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?threads/lj-should-he-stay-or-should-he-go.2495/

We have a passionate fan base but I don’t think we differ much from other bases. If you compare us to a school like Butler I think the bigger difference is that they keep hitting home runs when they hire a coach. We have not. Thus our fan base is a little more hungry and doubt can creep in quickly but that happened at Butler too.

What changed for them? Winning. That other coach also said fans wanted him fired last year but now that they are winning they love him. We aren’t different except we haven’t had that winning yet.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If Crean had his good seasons without his trend of bad seasons following he’d still be our coach.

If he could have even made the tourney he would still be our coach he had what 4 future NBA players and missed the Tourney my god that’s bad. 

Yeah, can’t lose repeatedly, and expect the fanbase to love and support you.

That’s ridiculous and doesn’t happen in any sport any place.

I was thinking about that at work today. These posters who think the fan backlash is what is hurting us is laughable. I am sure when archie took the job he wasn't thinking all I have to do is cash checks and lose and the fans will still love me lol. You cant lose at any school and still be a hero I should hope not definitely at iu. I am sure his brother has taken heat from fans for not doing much in the tournament long before archie started iu. He knows he has to win

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If he could have even made the tourney the would still be our coach he had what 4 future NBA players and missed the Tourney my god that’s bad. 

It was a bad year, it was the final straw, and we should have been in the tourney, but Bryant and Morgan were freshman (Morgan was not remotely close to being a NBA player at that point) and OG was hurt much of the year as he only played in 16 games missing most of the Big Ten season. Not sure who the 4th NBA player is that you reference. 

7 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

It was a bad year, it was the final straw, and we should have been in the tourney, but Bryant and Morgan were freshman (Morgan was not remotely close to being a NBA player at that point) and OG was hurt much of the year as he only played in 16 games missing most of the Big Ten season. Not sure who the 4th NBA player is that you reference. 

They weren’t freshmen. He had 3 people that left for the NBA that year and 1 that would 2 years later. That’s terrible. 

Morgan, OG, Bryant and JBJ who played for a bit in the NBA. And the slide started before OG got hurt IIRC. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

They weren’t freshmen. He had 3 people that left for the NBA that year and 1 that would 2 years later. That’s terrible. 

My bad, Bryant and Morgan were indeed sophomores.

I agreed it was bad.

Just think that 4 NBA players sounded like he had a loaded  “Duke type” team but Morgan still wasn’t that great and OG was hurt most of BT.  That being said, as I mentioned, it was the final straw for a reason.

53 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I was thinking about that at work today. These posters who think the fan backlash is what is hurting us is laughable. I am sure when archie took the job he wasn't thinking all I have to do is cash checks and lose and the fans will still love me lol. You cant lose at any school and still be a hero I should hope not definitely at iu. I am sure his brother has taken heat from fans for not doing much in the tournament long before archie started iu. He knows he has to win

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

It may not hurt in coaches hiring but I cant see how it hasnt affected recruiting. Granted, the Facebook groups are filled with not so wonderful IU fans but I guarantee that the players and coaches have at least some idea of some of the ridiculous stuff that is put online. There is at least one group that has players parents on it and maybe even more than that.  

3 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Happened for the Cubs for 108 years so your second statement isn’t exactly spot-on

Didn’t realize the cubs had the same manager the entire streak. 

Oh that’s right they didn’t. The longest they kept a Manager between World Series appearances was 6 years. 

So many things in this thread! 

1.) Archie being a home run hire. His name came up with nearly every decent job opening for the few years ahead of him moving to IU. He was undoubtedly one of the most sought after coaches. My understanding is he was not going anywhere until a job like ours opened up. I understand there is good info out there that others turned us down. But its too easy to say Archie wasn't a home run hire now. At the time, it absolutely was. 

2.) Is IU as elite of a job as fans think? There are so many factors that go in this but the history will always be there, the fans have continued to show up in the worst of times including a 6 win season, you could recruit and bring in ONLY players in state and have enough talent to win conference championships....the list goes on. I think we check nearly every box for being an elite job still. 

3.) What's the single biggest factor making this job unattractive? Drumroll.............surprise, it's US!! (collectively, us, the fanbase, not just Btown Banners). This happens with passionate fanbases that care, but we can be both the absolute best and absolute worst thing about IU basketball. 

You had me until number 3. As we go through shitty season after shitty season the fans are the most consistent and supportive thing we have.

We had one of the highest season attendance of any school in the country after a 6 win season.

We’re not of a different species where we think and act so differently then every other fanbase, while dwindling daily, there are just a lot of us which is a great thing that makes us special.

If Jordan and Holtmann think the fan bases as OSU and Butler wouldn’t be concerned and questioning them after missing the tourney in their first, second and very realistically third season on the job they are kidding themselves.

OSU has no problem firing anyone

It may not hurt in coaches hiring but I cant see how it hasnt affected recruiting. Granted, the Facebook groups are filled with not so wonderful IU fans but I guarantee that the players and coaches have at least some idea of some of the ridiculous stuff that is put online. There is at least one group that has players parents on it and maybe even more than that.  

So IU is the only school that has a Facebook group?

10 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

So IU is the only school that has a Facebook group?

Of course not...im sure there are many other schools that have Facebook groups that completely thrash and destroy the players and coaches. Should the kids pay attention to it? Probably not. Is it an acceptable practice? I believe it is classless and shameful. 

Of course not...im sure there are many other schools that have Facebook groups that completely thrash and destroy the players and coaches. Should the kids pay attention to it? Probably not. Is it an acceptable practice? I believe it is classless and shameful. 

Ok it seemed as if you were suggesting that it would negatively impact recruiting but to me all schools have these. I just looked and Louisville has one and there were a lot of negative comments posted this weekend.

I just get tired of folks blaming our fans. We are not any different from any passionate fan base.

10 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Ok it seemed as if you were suggesting that it would negatively impact recruiting but to me all schools have these. I just looked and Louisville has one and there were a lot of negative comments posted this weekend.

I just get tired of folks blaming our fans. We are not any different from any passionate fan base.

Kentucky fans. And I mean plural were telling brooks he wasn’t wanted. Where did he go again?  Fans mean little to kids and these decisions. They don’t need us to tell them Archie’s offense sucks. 

Just now, 8bucks said:

Technology can be a great thing if people use it correctly. It can be one of the worst things in the world also. It's one thing to be passionate, I totally get that...what is wrong for me is when some of the fans rip into these people that they dont even know and make it personal...call them lazy, entitled, etc. Louisville, kentucky, duke, North Carolina all have the same groups and are probably worse than iu fans ever thought about being. And no, it shouldn't affect recruiting, but in the past year....brooks dad and others around Brooks did allude to the fanbase online, and I'm pretty sure quinones did as well. And maybe we didn't need those recruits, maybe they aren't the right fit for our programs. Its not just fans I'm talking about, its people in general. We cant just post anything we want at any time. We are supposed to strive to be better than that. 

And I'm not going to post a quote from either on either point, but its on their recruiting post on this board...im pretty sure it is on there. Yes, brass...fans may mean little to these kids and their decisions...that doesnt mean you should post all of the time about how they suck, their families suck, they are lazy, etc.

It does not portray the program in a positive light with everything else that is going wrong with the program.

Brass, you are a supervisor... Who would you rather have... An employee that is positive and tries to come up with the best solution on things or somebody that ******* about every little thing they are told to do?

1 minute ago, wirenuts said:

And I'm not going to post a quote from either on either point, but its on their recruiting post on this board...im pretty sure it is on there. Yes, brass...fans may mean little to these kids and their decisions...that doesnt mean you should post all of the time about how they suck, their families suck, they are lazy, etc.

It does not portray the program in a positive light with everything else that is going wrong with the program.

Brass, you are a supervisor... Who would you rather have... An employee that is positive and tries to come up with the best solution on things or somebody that ******* about every little thing they are told to do?

Not a fair point since as was just pointed out all the employees in this case are ****** all the times. 

And honestly I can deal with the complainers when they are capable. I have a few people that are very nice and cordial but can’t do their job and I spend more time dealing with them. 

When was it pointed out that it was all of the fans....if you are referring to my post, it very clearly says some of the fans. Either way, I'm not here for a semantics discussion on it. If you believe that IU fans can and should spout off personal attacks on a Facebook page.... Then I'll just agree to disagree and call it a day