Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

13 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yea he totally has a clue. Probably why he thought a few 50/50 balls really changed the Maryland game. That’s why they got down by 30.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Stop repeating the same tired crap over and over.

Now.

At the risk of myself, is this not a valid concern? I remember during Crean's tenure him being picked apart after games for what he offered up during post game pressers from focusing on deflections, getting out in transition, you name it. I'm not sure how often LCS has repeated that particular line, but I found that to be alarming most definitely after the Maryland contest.

Note: I say this as a big fan of the Archie hire and don't really want to see him fired, I just want him to figure things out whether that be with better players, better system, etc. I just want him and the team to win. Hopefully I don't get the ban-hammer for this post but I found that presser to be a bit alarming as it seemed he was focused on the wrong things, but I imagine it's gotta be tough answering questions after a performance like that. 

2 minutes ago, jk34 said:

For a guy that said not  long ago that his life was too busy for this stuff,  it sure seems like you've found plenty of time to give your expert opinion on everything!

Attacking the person and not the argument is a pretty clear troll move 

20 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Mack & Holtman both wanted no part of IU. Mack because he knew he was getting the Louisville job next time it opened. His wife was from there, and father in law was a big donor I believe. Holtman's response was he didn't want to be in a pressure cooker. Donovan at the time wasn't leaving OKC. I'm pretty sure we ponied up the money, he just wasn't interested. 

In the past not last time but we have been turned down by Few, Bennett. We took Sampson over Beilien but that wasn't our choice. Herbert the president at the time made that decision. 

Do you think the job is more attractive with a new AD and president? 

We had 2 requirements our last coaching search. A guy that teaches defense and recruits well in the state. We got that. Just sucks it hasn’t worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well there’s your problem. Because we need someone who can teach basketball. Not just offense and not just defense. Both sides. We need someone who can recruit. I don’t care about having 15 kids on the roster from Indiana. That means nothing anymore. We just need kids who can play basketball and are ready to work and win. If that kid comes from Indiana then cool. If it’s from North Carolina, Texas or California, then that’s cool too. I don’t care as long as they can play basketball the right way.

27 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Mack & Holtman both wanted no part of IU. Mack because he knew he was getting the Louisville job next time it opened. His wife was from there, and father in law was a big donor I believe. Holtman's response was he didn't want to be in a pressure cooker. Donovan at the time wasn't leaving OKC. I'm pretty sure we ponied up the money, he just wasn't interested. 

In the past not last time but we have been turned down by Few, Bennett. We took Sampson over Beilien but that wasn't our choice. Herbert the president at the time made that decision. 

I missed it before, what's the single biggest issue holding IU back from being a top destination?

38 minutes ago, Josh said:

I disagree on this too.  When we fired Crean, IU was universally acknowledged as the best opening in college basketball.  When we fire Archie, it will be again.

IU could have been the best opening at the time compared to other available jobs. That's a long way from saying it's the best job in college basketball. I know you didn't say that, but it was sort of implied. I think us on the inside have a significantly higher opinion of our program than those on the outside looking in objectivity. The first step in change is a realistic view of who and what we currently are.

33 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Do you think the job is more attractive with a new AD and president? 

I think the facilities have been upgraded. But I don't really know. As I said yesterday I guess it might depend on who the new AD is

28 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I missed it before, what's the single biggest issue holding IU back from being a top destination?

It's a great question and I'm not sure I know the answer. IF you listen to some on TV and radio they say IU doesn't want another Bob Knight, where the coach is bigger than the university. I've never heard that myself from people around the university but don't know if it's true or not.

It wasn't just me.  ESPN kept calling it the best opening in college basketball.  Same for Sports Illustrated.  Same for everybody.
Funny, I have more positivity around our program than you do here :)

FWIW most of those same places considered it a home run hire in their stories after the hire.

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It's a great question and I'm not sure I know the answer. IF you listen to some on TV and radio they say IU doesn't want another Bob Knight, where the coach is bigger than the university. I've never heard that myself from people around the university but don't know if it's true or not.

There is some truth to that.  But when you're in a power 5 conference the two biggest faces of the U are the football and basketball coach.  People know their names, buy the crap they endorse, etc.  Nobody know whotf Idie what's her name is.  So what they really want is a coach who will represent the university brand well and not be a complete tool.   

FWIW most of those same places considered it a home run hire in their stories after the hire.

Correct.

I remember listening to podcast on the brink and they had Gary Parrish from CBS on. They asked him if in 5 years IU fired Archie what would be the reason. He answered by stating there is no way in his mind that Archie wouldn’t work out at IU.

He may have jinxed it...

11 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yes they did.  I don't believe I've ever seen them give a big program a bad grade on a hire though.  They know which programs bring the viewers

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Yes, the best opening in college basketball and Archie is what we got. Just because you want it to be different doesn't mean it's going to be. Coaches don't look at IU like you supposedly do. Chris Holtman would rather go to Ohio St a football school than come deal with Indiana. Maybe 10-15 years ago you could have gotten someone better, but I was at Assembly Hall when Pitino came through, his family didn't want to live here, he didn't want this job. Fire Archie which if IU does I'm fine with it, doesn't affect my family. Actually I make less money because of Archie is the coach and not Crean but you will get the best midmajor, Alford, Fife and a few others who are interested. 

That's really generalizing all coaches into one bucket

I say, let’s pull the trigger now and let Mike Roberts finish out the season. Hell, maybe even let him coach next season as well bc it won’t matter who we hire for next season anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
If you did that you would avoid paying Miller and another top paid HC. Also would see what Roberts is capable of. Kind of like the idea honestly

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk