Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

Here is where Indiana fans are different than most fans. We hire someone and if it is not the person someone wanted, they don't get behind them, they root against them succeeding just so they can say they were right. This is exactly what Coach Jordan was telling me about IU fans. Most schools don't operate this way. 

This is preposterous and not based in any fact. Like here, every idiot is entitled to their opinion but that is plain dumb.

Btw, there were a lot of people not excited for him to get the job at Butler, a little winning changes a lot

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Here is where Indiana fans are different than most fans. We hire someone and if it is not the person someone wanted, they don't get behind them, they root against them succeeding just so they can say they were right. This is exactly what Coach Jordan was telling me about IU fans. Most schools don't operate this way. 

To be fair, most fans wanted a home run hire and I wouldn't say we got that when he was announced.

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

That’s ridiculous. People were behind Archie. The entire fan base was behind him until the fanbase saw for the third year running the same exact problems. 

People losing faith in him is not based on him not being who they wanted. But on his failure to deliver a quality product. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm sure there is a certain segment of most passionate fan bases that operate that way, but I don't believe it is "Indiana fans."

I will say that I wholeheartedly wanted Archie and was happy he was hired as our coach. I will also say that I have been pretty disappointed in the product he has put on the court. I'm not sure what the problem is except that I see the same players doing the same things game after game. I see the same mistakes made game after game.

I'm not sure what the problem is; motivation? development? talent? But it's the coach's job to figure that out.

Maybe outsiders should understand that we've seen this season play out before and suffered through an unprecedented 12 losses in 13 games before any changes were made. Maybe we are more than a little concerned that the way this team has played it's last few games, we are in for the same thing again. Maybe we are concerned with the lack of any adjustments to make anything any different.

I've been a pretty die-hard fan of these Hoosiers since the first game I remember watching in 1980. I've spent an awful lot of money on games and merchandise over the years to be labeled as someone who is waiting to root for bad things to happen. I've seen plenty of bad things happen and continued to root for the Hoosiers. All I can tell you is that I couldn't stand to watch the whole second half of the Maryland game. I saw that game several times last year and the previous year.

20 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Totally disagree. It was highly publicized by a certain Moderator on this board that I didn't care for the CAM hiring at all. But who in their right mind would root against the program just to say they were right about a coach? That seems far fetched. 

That’s ridiculous. People were behind Archie. The entire fan base was behind him until the fanbase saw for the third year running the same exact problems. 

People losing faith in him is not based on him not being who they wanted. But on his failure to deliver a quality product. 

I have it the ol’ wait and see. We should have been in the NIT his first season and NCAA tourney last season and this season. Then contending for a B1G title next season. That clearly wasn’t the case and his tenure here got off to as horrible a start as you could ask for. I was done after last season. You could see his philosophies would never change and we can have a stubborn coach like that.

30 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You quoted me, hopefully you aren't saying this about me.

Expecting bad results and rooting for them are very different things.  I've never rooted for Archie to lose.  If that was the case I wouldn't even watch the games.

I'm not sure the fan you're describing exists.

18 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

To be fair, most fans wanted a home run hire and I wouldn't say we got that when he was announced.

But as I said no home run wants to come here these days for a variety of reasons. Maybe you will get that if you offer a crazy amount of money and someone is looking for a big payday. 

23 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

This is preposterous and not based in any fact. Like here, every idiot is entitled to their opinion but that is plain dumb.

Btw, there were a lot of people not excited for him to get the job at Butler, a little winning changes a lot

I feel like I have read on here for the last 2.5 years of people being unhappy. I won't get into saying anything about people's intelligence. Good Day 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

But as I said no home run wants to come here these days for a variety of reasons. Maybe you will get that if you offer a crazy amount of money and someone is looking for a big payday. 

I disagree on this too.  When we fired Crean, IU was universally acknowledged as the best opening in college basketball.  When we fire Archie, it will be again.

14 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Totally disagree. It was highly publicized by a certain Moderator on this board that I didn't care for the CAM hiring at all. But who in their right mind would root against the program just to say they were right about a coach? That seems far fetched. 

I wasn't exactly thrilled with the hire but was willing to give him a chance.  But here we are 3 years later and we've had the same problems and same players making the same mistakes.  We're seeing the same things we saw when the team went on it's free fall last year; a year they started off in position to make the tourney.

Wanting him to fail? Hardly, but there are serious red flags that haven't been addressed.

Just now, Josh said:

I disagree on this too.  When we fired Crean, IU was universally acknowledged as the best opening in college basketball.  When we fire Archie, it will be again.

Yes, the best opening in college basketball and Archie is what we got. Just because you want it to be different doesn't mean it's going to be. Coaches don't look at IU like you supposedly do. Chris Holtman would rather go to Ohio St a football school than come deal with Indiana. Maybe 10-15 years ago you could have gotten someone better, but I was at Assembly Hall when Pitino came through, his family didn't want to live here, he didn't want this job. Fire Archie which if IU does I'm fine with it, doesn't affect my family. Actually I make less money because of Archie is the coach and not Crean but you will get the best midmajor, Alford, Fife and a few others who are interested. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Can you elaborate? What home run hires did we go after and say no? I wouldn't have considered Mack, Archie, or Holtmann home run hires at the time, but I would have been happiest with Holtmann out of the three. 

1 minute ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Can you elaborate? What home run hires did we go after and say no? I wouldn't have considered Mack, Archie, or Holtmann home run hires at the time, but I would have been happiest with Holtmann out of the three. 

Mack & Holtman both wanted no part of IU. Mack because he knew he was getting the Louisville job next time it opened. His wife was from there, and father in law was a big donor I believe. Holtman's response was he didn't want to be in a pressure cooker. Donovan at the time wasn't leaving OKC. I'm pretty sure we ponied up the money, he just wasn't interested. 

In the past not last time but we have been turned down by Few, Bennett. We took Sampson over Beilien but that wasn't our choice. Herbert the president at the time made that decision. 

For the record, I don't want to see him fired but at some point you got to start questioning CAM's ability to develop players. He's had Davis, Green, Durham and Smith for three years and the only one I'm truly seeing develop, if you want to call it that, is Durham.  Davis has gotten worse.  Both Green and Smith have spots of greatness and are up and down on a minute by minute basis, but they had that prior to CAM.  I would have thought all four of those guys would have been solid contributors by now.  Because development is key for these four players and that simply isn't the case. 

I could be wrong though.  I'm just some dude on the internet b*tchin' about things I probably shouldn't be b*tichin' about.  

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes, the best opening in college basketball and Archie is what we got. Just because you want it to be different doesn't mean it's going to be. Coaches don't look at IU like you supposedly do. Chris Holtman would rather go to Ohio St a football school than come deal with Indiana. Maybe 10-15 years ago you could have gotten someone better, but I was at Assembly Hall when Pitino came through, his family didn't want to live here, he didn't want this job. Fire Archie which if IU does I'm fine with it, doesn't affect my family. Actually I make less money because of Archie is the coach and not Crean but you will get the best midmajor, Alford, Fife and a few others who are interested. 

It wasn't just me.  ESPN kept calling it the best opening in college basketball.  Same for Sports Illustrated.  Same for everybody.

Funny, I have more positivity around our program than you do here :)

I'm sure there is a certain segment of most passionate fan bases that operate that way, but I don't believe it is "Indiana fans."
I will say that I wholeheartedly wanted Archie and was happy he was hired as our coach. I will also say that I have been pretty disappointed in the product he has put on the court. I'm not sure what the problem is except that I see the same players doing the same things game after game. I see the same mistakes made game after game.
I'm not sure what the problem is; motivation? development? talent? But it's the coach's job to figure that out.
Maybe outsiders should understand that we've seen this season play out before and suffered through an unprecedented 12 losses in 13 games before any changes were made. Maybe we are more than a little concerned that the way this team has played it's last few games, we are in for the same thing again. Maybe we are concerned with the lack of any adjustments to make anything any different.
I've been a pretty die-hard fan of these Hoosiers since the first game I remember watching in 1980. I've spent an awful lot of money on games and merchandise over the years to be labeled as someone who is waiting to root for bad things to happen. I've seen plenty of bad things happen and continued to root for the Hoosiers. All I can tell you is that I couldn't stand to watch the whole second half of the Maryland game. I saw that game several times last year and the previous year.

Well said

Jordan saying that shows he knows nothing about Indiana and our fanbase or he has a dislike for Indiana and that was a low blow he threw

Yes, Jordan, we all spend hours a day on IU fan boards, spend money on gear, donate to the school, spend our money on tickets and gas and flights and hotels and follow religiously in the hopes that Archie fails

4 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I could be wrong though.  I'm just some dude on the internet b*tchin' about things I probably shouldn't be b*tichin' about.  

This might be my favorite line I've seen on here in months. Aren't we all that dude. I agree with what you said and I really wish we would have passed on some if not all of them. one they are all Crean guys, none of them have any leadership qualities, and they don't fit the system you are trying to play. 

40 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

For a guy that said not  long ago that his life was too busy for this stuff,  it sure seems like you've found plenty of time to give your expert opinion on everything!