Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

He said it was just a few select fans, the same fans that weren't happy that he got the job in the first place. But this year everyone is happy

I have a friend who is a season ticket holder at Butler and I gauge the Butler perspective on how he reacts. He fits that narrative (was highly doubtful last year and happy this year). It seemed from memory that the Butler fans were upset last season so I went to a Butler board and sure enough on Mar 14, 2019 there is a thread titled “LJ - should he stay or should he go?” The thread is a poll. “Fire Him now or gets 1 more season or 2 more seasons or never.”

https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?threads/lj-should-he-stay-or-should-he-go.2495/

Thread has 200 responses over 10 pages which I have no idea if that is a lot for Butler. There are definitely more than a couple people in that thread calling for his firing.

I think if Butler fans can question whether to keep Jordan in year 2 we can do the same for Archie in year 3. Also, if Archie could show some results like Butler is now most questioning things now will be excited to support a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I have a friend who is a season ticket holder at Butler and I gauge the Butler perspective on how he reacts. He fits that narrative (was highly doubtful last year and happy this year). It seemed from memory that the Butler fans were upset last season so I went to a Butler board and sure enough on Mar 14, 2019 there is a thread titled “LJ - should he stay or should he go?” The thread is a poll. “Fire Him now or gets 1 more season or 2 more seasons or never.”

https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?threads/lj-should-he-stay-or-should-he-go.2495/

Thread has 200 responses over 10 pages which I have no idea if that is a lot for Butler. There are definitely more than a couple people in that thread calling for his firing.

I think if Butler fans can question whether to keep Jordan in year 2 we can do the same for Archie in year 3. Also, if Archie could show some results like Butler is now most questioning things now will be excited to support a winner.

Not to argue because we have seen enough of that today but Coach Jordan was not as successful as Archie when he got the Butler job and he was left with a much better team than Archie was. We don't have a Baldwin or a McDermott on our roster. 

31 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

At least he made the NIT in all 3 seasons. I wonder if it looked as terrible and embarrassing as Archie’s tenure so far? Any 20 point stompings by bad Indiana State and IPFW teams?

In fairness to Archie, Crean would’ve lost to those teams as well if he stayed. Roster was terrible and Morgan would’ve stayed a role player under Crean.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If I wasn't bald, I would shave my head like she did when she had her breakdown. 

And marry Kevin Federline, whydontcha!

But I digress.

Back to the thread theme:

Of COURSE we should NOT consider firing Archie now, though if that's someone's opinion, so be it.

Not to argue because we have seen enough of that today but Coach Jordan was not as successful as Archie when he got the Butler job and he was left with a much better team than Archie was. We don't have a Baldwin or a McDermott on our roster. 

No worries. I think this is a good discussion vs some of the other stuff in this thread. I do think there was more dissent from the beginning with LJ at Butler vs Archie here but I think the idea that IU fans are less patient is debatable.

After 2 years their fan base was discussing firing him. We waited a year later before we started a thread like that lol.

In fairness to Archie, Crean would’ve lost to those teams as well if he stayed. Roster was terrible and Morgan would’ve stayed a role player under Crean.

I mean maybe? We have no clue. Juwan could have turned into a much shorter under Crean. We have no clue. They wouldn’t have been great but they wouldn’t have been worse.

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

No worries. I think this is a good discussion vs some of the other stuff in this thread. I do think there was more dissent from the beginning with LJ at Butler vs Archie here but I think the idea that IU fans are less patient is debatable.

After 2 years their fan base was discussing firing him. We waited a year later before we started a thread like that lol.

You know as well as I do that there were people on here last year saying fire him. I won't name names but it was on here. Now you are correct we waited till now to start threads about it :-)

To be blunt, I think who we hire as the new AD is severely more important than firing/retaining Archie. We need someone who allows us to play in the grey area. There’s no reason we should be having this much difficulty recruiting out of state players other than we don’t offer the same benefits as the vast majority of other teams. I consider dj carton and maybe Dawson Garcia to be exceptions, but I truly believe if we bent the rules a little bit we could’ve had Kira Lewis / Dortz / Quinones / Brooks / Tre Mann etc.

This new AD can also advocate for improved reffing in conference play. I totally understand why players would rather prefer to play in the Big 12 or PAC 12.

At the end of the day, we are a storied program that can provide a bigger “spotlight” for players to build their brand than 97% of college programs. We should not be lacking talent. But when I watch games, I see players afraid to shoot 3’s. I see players who can’t make strong passes. I see a player who can’t go up strong around the rim despite being a senior. Now, some of this is on coaching. But coaching is very hard to do when your talent is lacking to programs like Illinois and Purdue.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

What does when I reacted to a post last have to do with my comment? The BtownBanners message board is not the end-all-be-all for Indiana Basketball.

Don’t show up on here after months of not being around and call everyone out that disagreed with you once things start going south. Looks incredibly foolish. 

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

On a happier note...

My high school senior got notification that he is getting a Jacobs School audition in Btown on February 7th.

Yes, that means that Stuhoo will be in Bloomington for the Purdoooo game. By then, we will have beaten Northwestern and Ohio State, and Purdue will be in full "Nojel Eastern sux" meltdown mode.

Anybody got an extra ticket or two? I got the pre-game refreshments covered :)

I'm going to start making some calls this afternoon since drinks are included.

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

I guess what were you expecting this year differently? I thought the team would be better within their roles which I thought was limited. RP, Green, and Davis have disappointed. Smith has played better in a Small ball 4 role. Brunk has impressed me versus his game last year. TJD was better than advertised. Al is who he is. I guess I always anticipated these issues based on who and how he was recruiting. But my thing always has been he has to make the tourney. Same as a lot of people. That hasn’t change other than a few people in uproar over the last two games. You guys can say it’s not over the last two losses, but then where was this uproar to this level prior? When was this thread started. This 100% comes down to how we have played over the last two games for some. I don’t get it.

I want incremental improvement.  Smith came out at the beginning of the year on fire.  It looked like he made big strides over the summer - scoring double digits.  He's now regressed.  Something happened -- did they say something too him?  He's not as aggressive offensively.  Team free throws haven't improved -- should be an easy improvement.  Off the ball movement is non-existent.  Rob's still in a funk.  Green still has his out of control moments -- Could you imagine if he moved without the ball, got a screen, and took an open 3 in rhythm.  It's just a mess.  And it appears nothing has been done.  

I want incremental improvement.  Smith came out at the beginning of the year on fire.  It looked like he made big strides over the summer - scoring double digits.  He's now regressed.  Something happened -- did they say something too him?  He's not as aggressive offensively.  Team free throws haven't improved -- should be an easy improvement.  Off the ball movement is non-existent.  Rob's still in a funk.  Green still has his out of control moments -- Could you imagine if he moved without the ball, got a screen, and took an open 3 in rhythm.  It's just a mess.  And it appears nothing has been done.  

My expectations entering this season were NIT at best after losing out by far two best players. We didn’t add any shooters but added two bigs. But I want to see improvement from players and Archie. I haven’t seen either. Smith I think has improved mentally and is still a very good defensive player. Durham hasn’t improved. Green hasn’t. Rob hasn’t. Players haven’t progressed any during the season. Has TJD looked any different? Has he gotten any better in the post? Any better at sealing his man off? Picked a different post move or two? It’s a no to all of those. Smith is literally the only one from last season to have proved any at all, including the coaching.

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

That is one other thing this coach mentioned that made me think also. He said we didn't play well last season and some fans were talking about me being fired in year 2, he said now that were ranked in the top 25 I'm great. He said I didn't forget how to coach last season and remember this season. He said Archie was hired from Dayton for a reason, he didn't forget how to coach from moving from Ohio to Indiana but there is so much more that goes into it. Anyway, I support IU but I don't think he is in trouble till the end of next year. But I think any AD would be smart to have a shortlist of coaches. 

...and it would be a smart investment, even if perhaps a bit unrealistic,  for the administration/search committee to pick an AD who already has a super solid existing relationship with the potential desired next candidate. Someone who is super confident the new AD chosen will have their back and who can be strongly influenced by them to go to IU. Either men’s basketball is where IU athletics is willing to show it will plant it’s flag, or not. If folks think not/argue otherwise, then what are we all doing on here?  With a new AD hire, there is a unique opportunity to re-cast program influence and perception - and set either Archie or the next guy up success. Will the opportunity be squandered with a middle of the road politically correct hire?