Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

Correct IU has tried to land a big name the last two times and we got Crean and Archie. Also as this coach said why would any of us (Coaches) leave our programs to go to Bloomington knowing we have 2.5 years to be successful or firing us will be what the fans want. He said fans think that firing a coach is no big deal, but so many people's lives are affected when someone gets fired, plus lots of money is paid out and it changes things for years to come. 

2.5 years? Hell the fans may want to see good basketball, but the administration is going to give you time. Davis got 6 years. Crean got 9. Sampson screwed himself. We’ve had 4 coaches the past 20 years and really only because one was stupid enough to get himself fired and the university was too stupid to deny, deny, deny. You have plenty of time here, but fans here aren’t stupid. They know what good basketball is. They can see it even with a bad team. Archie doesn’t coach good basketball or else it’d show up more than once or twice a season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 4:06 PM, Hovadipo said:

Where were you before the Arkansas loss?

(Answer: You hadn’t even *reacted* to a post since August)

Get out of here with this. 

What does when I reacted to a post last have to do with my comment? The BtownBanners message board is not the end-all-be-all for Indiana Basketball.

15 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

2.5 years? Hell the fans may want to see good basketball, but the administration is going to give you time. Davis got 6 years. Crean got 9. Sampson screwed himself. We’ve had 4 coaches the past 20 years and really only because one was stupid enough to get himself fired and the university was too stupid to deny, deny, deny. You have plenty of time here, but fans here aren’t stupid. They know what good basketball is. They can see it even with a bad team. Archie doesn’t coach good basketball or else it’d show up more than once or twice a season.

Firing Archie Miller is in the title of the post. As the coach said if I'm not successful in the first 2.5 years fans will be wanting me fired. Both are correct. I won't get into whether he coaches good basketball or not but I do know I've read of your posts to know we don't agree on what we think good basketball is. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

I keep hearing this claim that some coaches need time. Can anybody point me to a coach that missed the tourney their first 3 years in the power conferences and went on to be a success this century?

Beilein made it year 2. Bennett made it year 3.  

Jay Wright NIT first 3 years. 

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

Coach K Duke.

This century  

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Jay Wright NIT first 3 years. 

Touché. Think that might be it though. Granted if we don’t make it this year I doubt we make it next year. Schedule has fewer cupcakes. 

I keep hearing this claim that some coaches need time. Can anybody point me to a coach that missed the tourney their first 3 years in the power conferences and went on to be a success this century?

Beilein made it year 2. Bennett made it year 3.  

I mean I think everyone is on the same boat that he needs to make the tournament this year. Where have you seen anyone say anything different?

The fact that fans believe he needs to make the tournament this year doesn’t mean the administration does. That’s a separate issue altogether. But on btown banners, the consensus is he needs to make the tournament this year or likelihood of success is very low.

He can still make the tournament, realistically. And yes I know this team is struggling.

I mean I think everyone is on the same boat that he needs to make the tournament this year. Where have you seen anyone say anything different?

The fact that fans believe he needs to make the tournament this year doesn’t mean the administration does. That’s a separate issue altogether. But on btown banners, the consensus is he needs to make the tournament this year or likelihood of success is very low.

He can still make the tournament, realistically. And yes I know this team is struggling.

Yep that is the collective belief. It was that way before we lost two games. Then people lost their **** like that’s the end of the season. Some just wait for a loss. It’s been that way since he was hired. Some are just frustrated because they wanted us to be further along last year. We are 11-3. They are fully able to make the tournament. If they don’t I think a change should be made. I don’t necessarily believe a change would happen.

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

Yep that is the collective belief. It was that way before we lost two games. Then people lost their **** like that’s the end of the season. Some just wait for a loss. It’s been that way since he was hired. Some are just frustrated because they wanted us to be further along last year. We are 11-3. They are fully able to make the tournament. If they don’t I think a change should be made. I don’t necessarily believe a change would happen.

I really wish people would stop posting our record. 

11-3 but 7 cupcakes. So let’s be honest 4-3 in real games. We have no cupcakes left.  And the real games get tougher. 

I really wish people would stop posting our record. 

11-3 but 7 cupcakes. So let’s be honest 4-3 in real games. We have no cupcakes left.  And the real games get tougher. 

I agree we had cupcakes, but 11-3 is our record no? If we finished the season 20-11 would they take 7 wins out because our fanbase deemed them not worthy?

Few people played as many or as bad as cupcakes as us. 

And our record was great last year. We had a better record in fact. Our cupcakes schedule didn’t help us then. Our tourney hopes rest on showing up for big ten season. So far we have played terrible in those games. 

We're the only team that played cupcakes too? I thought every team had some on their schedule. 

I don’t even know what I can discuss anymore. If it doesn’t have a negative slant it’s not something I can bring up? I figured after a few days we could all rationally discuss what’s going on. I was wrong.

I agree we had cupcakes, but 11-3 is our record no? If we finished the season 20-11 would they take 7 wins out because our fanbase deemed them not worthy?

You better believe if this team makes it at 20-11 that will be the argument. “This team didn’t deserve it because they played cupcakes.” And the ncaa birth won’t count in their minds.

Never mind the fact that the big ten is the deepest it has ever been.

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I don’t even know what I can discuss anymore. If it doesn’t have a negative slant it’s not something I can bring up? I figured after a few days we could all rationally discuss what’s going on. I was wrong.

Your citing something that did 0 to help us last year. Why would you think it would make people feel better this year?

And it’s not irrational to think that something that hasn’t helped in the past isn’t going to help now

15 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Not really. They start off ranked every season off of reputation, and they almost always get exposed once the season starts. They're not in a conference so they get to pad their schedule with easy wins. Whenever they play a good program they usually lose by quite a bit, especially in bowl games. Notre Dame football would actually be a pretty good comparison to IU basketball actually. Once great programs that aren't what they once were. 

Much of what you say is true, but the schedule part is wrong.  I am not going to even discuss that here.   What I will say is a final 4, and a NC game, a d a new years 6 bowl in the past 6 years.  Anybody on this site would take that in a heartbeat, no matter the outcome.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

That is one other thing this coach mentioned that made me think also. He said we didn't play well last season and some fans were talking about me being fired in year 2, he said now that were ranked in the top 25 I'm great. He said I didn't forget how to coach last season and remember this season. He said Archie was hired from Dayton for a reason, he didn't forget how to coach from moving from Ohio to Indiana but there is so much more that goes into it. Anyway, I support IU but I don't think he is in trouble till the end of next year. But I think any AD would be smart to have a shortlist of coaches. 

It's not that Archie forgot how to coach.  It's that he hasn't grown as a coach.  He could get away with "gimicks" at Dayton.  You can overhedge and overhelp in a league with lower talent.  But get to Power 5, where teams (except us) have multiple shooters on the floor and you get blown out of the arena.  

Here's what I want to see.  He goes back and watches the films and says "oh f$#@*" that's not working.  Then make some adjustments, like not leaving known shooters wide open -- take the 2 if need be.  Quickest offensive fix is to get them working on free throws -- no talent needed.  But do something.  If serious changes aren't made right now, kiss this year good bye.