Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Funny you mention that. I went to watch another team in the state on Saturday who will be a tournament team this year since I figured IU would lose @ Maryland. Thankful for some connections I got to go into the locker room after the game. I was able to sit down with the coaches for a little while and just talk about CBB. IU came up, and the head coach said in the last 10 years it seems to me that IU fans just wait for something bad to happen during the season and the first thing that comes up is fire the coach. He said so many fans have no idea what is going on day to day with a program but it's always fire the coach is the answer. I said so you wouldn't be interested and he said HELL NO and we all laughed. Anyway sorry for rambling but it made me think of you and others. 

So you don’t disagree that something bad has happened?

Im sorry but trying to blame the fans because not a single guard has gotten better under Archie is a joke. How are IU fans supposed to react?  Laugh like we would at the Benny hill skit that this team resembles. It’s a joke that I miss Tom Creans player development. 

If Archie had improved this team in any facet of the game in his almost 3 years here there would not be this uproar and rancor. This is not a fanbase problem. 

And if any coach thinks he should get a pass for failing to do his job 3 straight years that’s pretty sad and pathetic. Wish I could get a gig like that. But I’m expected to do my job every day

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Funny you mention that. I went to watch another team in the state on Saturday who will be a tournament team this year since I figured IU would lose @ Maryland. Thankful for some connections I got to go into the locker room after the game. I was able to sit down with the coaches for a little while and just talk about CBB. IU came up, and the head coach said in the last 10 years it seems to me that IU fans just wait for something bad to happen during the season and the first thing that comes up is fire the coach. He said so many fans have no idea what is going on day to day with a program but it's always fire the coach is the answer. I said so you wouldn't be interested and he said HELL NO and we all laughed. Anyway sorry for rambling but it made me think of you and others. 

When I see all the "fire Archie" stuff, my first question always is -- If we do that, whom do we hire? ... The answer always seems to be: Throw a bunch of money at Chris Beard. Or throw a bunch of money at Brad Stevens. Or throw a bunch of money at ... 

But why would those people come here? If Chris Beard can reach a title game and make $5M a year at Texas Tech, why leave for Bloomington? If Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan can make $4M or $5M a year and not have to chase down and coddle recruits, why come here? Mark Few and Tony Bennett allegedly already said no. A year or so ago, somebody posted a lengthy podcast of an interview with a CBB insider (can't remember his name, but supposedly, he knows his stuff).  He said that realistically, there were three candidates for the job after Crean was let go: Mack, Holtmann and Archie. And Mack and Holtmann weren't interested. Like everyone else, I'm frustrated with the team's play, but is firing the coach two-plus years into his tenure the answer? Then, we start all over again. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I guess this is what it seems like to some. Personally, I don't sit and wait for bad things to happen. Every part of me wants Archie to succeed. But, what I've seen in his two and a half years is a lot of talk of a great plan, but nothing on the court that reflects it. He was supposed to have this great plan for recruiting and everyone was totally on board after the scatterbrained efforts we saw from Crean. The fact is, our guards or guard play have not improved in his time here. I don't care if it is the recruiting or the player development, we have not seen improvement.

It's great to have a plan, but you have to constantly analyze the results and change accordingly. Our offense is just flat out hard to watch. Our defense is declining in year 3 - the year it was supposed to click. This team really has no identity and no apparent cohesion. That is what we saw last year as well.

You are correct - I have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes. But I know what I see on the court and it is not getting better. Last year it took a huge losing streak before changes were made. I seriously doubt that the administration is telling Archie who to recruit, who to play, how to substitute, how to motivate, and how to game plan. If they are, he needs to resign immediately for his own benefit.

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

When I see all the "fire Archie" stuff, my first question always is -- If we do that, whom do we hire? ... The answer always seems to be: Throw a bunch of money at Chris Beard. Or throw a bunch of money at Brad Stevens. Or throw a bunch of money at ... 

But why would those people come here? If Chris Beard can reach a title game and make $5M a year at Texas Tech, why leave for Bloomington? If Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan can make $4M or $5M a year and not have to chase down and coddle recruits, why come here? Mark Few and Tony Bennett allegedly already said no. A year or so ago, somebody posted a lengthy podcast of an interview with a CBB insider (can't remember his name, but supposedly, he knows his stuff).  He said that realistically, there were three candidates for the job after Crean was let go: Mack, Holtmann and Archie. And Mack and Holtmann weren't interested. Like everyone else, I'm frustrated with the team's play, but is firing the coach two-plus years into his tenure the answer? Then, we start all over again. 

Correct IU has tried to land a big name the last two times and we got Crean and Archie. Also as this coach said why would any of us (Coaches) leave our programs to go to Bloomington knowing we have 2.5 years to be successful or firing us will be what the fans want. He said fans think that firing a coach is no big deal, but so many people's lives are affected when someone gets fired, plus lots of money is paid out and it changes things for years to come. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Correct IU has tried to land a big name the last two times and we got Crean and Archie. Also as this coach said why would any of us (Coaches) leave our programs to go to Bloomington knowing we have 2.5 years to be successful or firing us will be what the fans want. He said fans think that firing a coach is no big deal, but so many people's lives are affected when someone gets fired, plus lots of money is paid out and it changes things for years to come. 

I never wanted a big name. I wanted somebody who could succeed. But it’s pretty obvious that Archie can’t or won’t change his system and it’s also painfully obvious that it’s not working. 

I have a team at work and I can’t worry about how hard it is to replace somebody when it comes down to holding them accountable to results. If somebody isn’t cutting it there’s one course of action regardless of how hard it is to replace. 

Just now, mdn82 said:

To me it just gets exhausting. Every loss and it’s the same thing anymore. These forums just aren’t fun anymore to me. Much like IU basketball isn’t fun to quite a few people in this fanbase.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You know what’s exhausting,  missing out on a field of 68 freaking teams for 4 straight years, watching $hit basketball for basically a decade minus a couple years, seeing no player development at all, no in- game adjustments, terrible substitutions, bad recruiting, etc.  

Spare me the fans are the issue BS- it’s flat out not true.  All high level programs’ fans demand excellence, it’s what makes them who they are.  Fans like you are why IU will hold on to Archie for 5 years and be back to square one by 2022, complete submission and acceptance of mediocrity.   Can you honestly say that you think we are headed in the right direction?  Name me three bright spots for the future. 

I never wanted a big name. I wanted somebody who could succeed. But it’s pretty obvious that Archie can’t or won’t change his system and it’s also painfully obvious that it’s not working. 

I have a team at work and I can’t worry about how hard it is to replace somebody when it comes down to holding them accountable to results. If somebody isn’t cutting it there’s one course of action regardless of how hard it is to replace. 

I definitely get that in the real world, but is it apples to apples? You are talking about a plug and play position. Head Coaching position at any level isn’t plug and play.

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

I definitely get that in the real world, but is it apples to apples? You are talking about a plug and play position. Head Coaching position at any level isn’t plug and play.

I’m not talking about a plug and play position. But I think it would apply it’s just leadership. If you let people skate by because it would be hard for you to replace it sends a terrible message. 

I fired a guy about 4 months ago because he was a negative jerk who slacked off. But he did one thing very well and I didn’t have to worry about it.  I have not been able to replace that in 4 months. The team is better off. I pull my hair out regularly but the team is better off. 

12 hours ago, RatpigHoosier said:

I’ll be there!!! My only question is regarding recruiting. Would Stihl, Echo and Husqvarna be the sponsor companies and would they steer athletes to the schools they want? Also, what emblem would be on our uniforms? Are we a Stihl school?

Craftsman most likely,the others are too new wavy with all that technology stuff.

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

That is one other thing this coach mentioned that made me think also. He said we didn't play well last season and some fans were talking about me being fired in year 2, he said now that were ranked in the top 25 I'm great. He said I didn't forget how to coach last season and remember this season. He said Archie was hired from Dayton for a reason, he didn't forget how to coach from moving from Ohio to Indiana but there is so much more that goes into it. Anyway, I support IU but I don't think he is in trouble till the end of next year. But I think any AD would be smart to have a shortlist of coaches. 

Thanks for sharing Chris. 

This is kinda where I am at too. Things will get interesting depending on who they hire as the new AD, but either way he will still get four years which I believe is a very fair amount of time. Hope he can get it done, because firing and starting all over is not gonna be fun. 

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

That is one other thing this coach mentioned that made me think also. He said we didn't play well last season and some fans were talking about me being fired in year 2, he said now that were ranked in the top 25 I'm great. He said I didn't forget how to coach last season and remember this season. He said Archie was hired from Dayton for a reason, he didn't forget how to coach from moving from Ohio to Indiana but there is so much more that goes into it. Anyway, I support IU but I don't think he is in trouble till the end of next year. But I think any AD would be smart to have a shortlist of coaches. 

I get what you are saying. But that coach is going to have made the tourney 2 out of his first 3 years. 

Archie looks to have a battle to make it 1 of 3 for himself. It’s not a fair comparison because their resumes are different. 

He had a rough season, Archie has had 2 1/2 rough seasons. Archie may not have forgot how to coach but he needs to prove it. Do something different. What he’s doing isn’t working. 

We all over reacted a bit last Saturday but because we know we look like crap and it will translate into losses and a disappointing outcome. As a reality record wise we are fine and better than expected if we can win the next few games. I will reserve my judgment on archie until then but I agree we look like we're in trouble

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Lol so it’s not the fans fault when the job is deemed more difficult due to fan pressure but it is the fans fault when we don’t piss and moan. Got it. Great fanbase here. We do enough pissing and moaning for 3 fanbases.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Mike Roberts is already starting on this thread.  I guarantee there would be chirping.  It's Indiana!

He is not. It’s that Sean Miller isn’t a good coach that I find fault in, not his recruiting.

To me he is a recruiter and negotiator, he isn’t a coach. Given the loads of talent he has on his roster I don’t see them overachieving, really ever.

He is essentially a world wide Wes but just happens to also sit on the bench. There are posters are this board that could likely get similar results with an entire roster full of 4 and 5 star players

He is not. It’s that Sean Miller isn’t a good coach that I find fault in, not his recruiting.

To me he is a recruiter and negotiator, he isn’t a coach. Given the loads of talent he has on his roster I don’t see them overachieving, really ever.

He is essentially a world wide Wes but just happens to also sit on the bench. There are posters are this board that could likely get similar results with an entire roster full of 4 and 5 star players

You know one thing that has surprised me over the years is you don’t hear much about a Jay Wright or Bennett coaching tree. I think those two guys are the best at roster building the way we seem to want. I would think they would have a couple of assistants over the years that have learned a thing or two. I was never impressed with Sean’s ability to build a cohesive roster.