Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

I tend to believe this as well. I think Sean is the perfect measuring stick. It would all add up. Is he a good enough coach to do it with lesser talent?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don’t think Sean Miller is a good coach at all. I don’t think there is a coach in America that has gotten less out of so much. He has had 5* after 5* and Little to show for it

I don’t think Sean Miller is a good coach at all. I don’t think there is a coach in America that has gotten less out of so much. He has had 5* after 5* and Little to show for it

There are some challengers out there. They might not have had the talent the Sean Miller had but they are/were getting 5* talent and not getting past the Sweet 16.

No. I used them because they're two programs that are shameless and thumb their noses at the NCAA because they realize nothing will happen to them. Iirc, Wade was pretty much caught red handed and he's back this year as their coach. There's nothing stopping us from doing the same thing those schools did except for ourselves. 

I love the last line in your post because I have asked myself that, what is stopping Archie from doing what it takes? If he is that sloppy that his bosses find out then he isn’t good at playing the game.

Yeah, he needs massive talent, but he wins decently with it. Archie is Sean but with lesser talent. I know people on here try to say how different they are, but I don’t see it.

Compared to what Indiana has been I’d take Sean Miller results any day.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

So you're basically advocating cheating (or playing in the "grey" area).  No problem.  But that has nothing to do with the cheerleader outfits, or Hoosier Hysteria, the big faces behind the basket, the facilities, or some other nonsense.  

Look, if the argument is we are too conservative following the rules, we can have that discussion.  Some would say "just win baby" and hand out whatever it takes.  Others would say "cheaters never win."  The problem is we are in this mess because we hired a known cheater and he did it again (although I believe what he did is no longer impermissible).     

It's not impermissible any longer.  Even then wasn't major in the eyes of the NCAA, we self-reported and self-sanctioned; Indiana put Indiana in this mess.

Sean Miller

Missed tourney first year. Then tourney 8 of 9 years. 3 EEs, 2 S16s. In a 10 year span.

At Indiana, I’d take that all day.

But Archie will never recruit like Sean at Indiana. Unless he does, we won’t get those results.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I would take that too but given the craploads of 5 and high 4 star players he’s had every year, those results are pretty sad.

Just this year alone, in a year under investigation and Miller’s job in question, he landed 3 5* players and 2 4* players

I would take that too but given the craploads of 5 and high 4 star players he’s had every year, those results are pretty sad.

Just this year alone, in a year under investigation and Miller’s job in question, he landed 3 5* players and 2 4* players

Yeah, and he’ll make the tournament again and be a sweet 16 challenger.

My point. If we want Archie to succeed, he needs better players.

Can Archie recruit better? Can Archie identify talent? (Fitzner)

I’m starting to question all this as well as the in game crap we are dealing with.

Yeah, and he’ll make the tournament again and be a sweet 16 challenger.

My point. If we want Archie to succeed, he needs better players.

Can Archie recruit better? Can Archie identify talent? (Fitzner)

I’m starting to question all this as well as the in game crap we are dealing with.

I don’t think he has a problem identifying talent

its landing that talent that is the problem

2018-Kira lewis,, dort, swider

2019- carton, Terry, Ramsey

I’m sure there is more but these stick out as players that were not highly ranked before IU was recruiting them but over the summer made jumps. Here is hoping Geronimo falls into this category

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Sean Miller

Missed tourney first year. Then tourney 8 of 9 years. 3 EEs, 2 S16s. In a 10 year span.

At Indiana, I’d take that all day.

You realize there would be many chirping that Sean wasn't "the guy" since he couldn't get over the hump and win a championship in that 10 years, right?  It's Indiana!

1 hour ago, InArchWeTrust said:

You realize there would be many chirping that Sean wasn't "the guy" since he couldn't get over the hump and win a championship in that 10 years, right?  It's Indiana!

I doubt that. The key is being in the mix every year.  Jay Wright and Bennett had the same knock until very recently. 

Here’s the big program, scripted move to  signal future intent of where IU wants to be in b-ball nationally...

Committee needs to do whatever it takes to bring in Kirby Holcutt (or other person connected to future want coach) as AD. Probably means backing up the Brinks truck.  For godness sake, he’s in Lubbock, so there should be some appeal.  This will sharpen Archie’s focus immediately. Back-channel to Beard - before, during, after - all the time.

I think Reynolds is great, and Kraft sounds promising - but we need to hire the AD based solely on what they can do to turn b-ball immediately. Not sure either of them have the experience and connections to navigate such a high pressure move.

This will sharpen Archie’s focus instantly - bring in connected AD (holcutt or otherwise) who knows how to play ‘the game’, and as importantly is tightly connected with the potential game changing replacement coach. Archie rights the ship in the next 1.5 year - great. He doesn’t - plan B, which might be better than A.

Just as there are ‘player’s coaches’, there are ‘coach's athletic administrations’. Glass is a lot of things, and in my opinion a good person who has done a lot for IU and done it the right way. But, he’s not a coach’s AD for a university’s premier program that wants to win. That’s what we need - if we want to win. 

Program changing coaches can all get paid at a lot of places. Key question is will they be working for who they want who will proactively ensure they have everything they need to succeed - at most costs. That’s the difference maker.