Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

More laughable waste of time.

It is not time to discuss firing anyone, and you jokers just can't help yourselves.  Fred Glass is retiring.  His last act is not going to be firing the guy who was his biggest hire.  Archie Miller isn't going anywhere this season, and this discussion is the definition of insanity.   Next season?  If the situation hasn't improved?  THEN is the time to begin the firing discussions.  Now?  It's just another mob discussion; same as "fire Tom Allen" and "fire Fred Glass."  

The easy way out of anything is to quit or just end something.  Break up.  Get rid of it.  "I can't deal with it."   It's elementary simplicity at it's finest.  I hate our offense, I am not impressed with what I see right now; but I also know Devonte Green is a captain.  The older players on this team are that bad.  And they're not Archie's.   It is very much time to be concerned, and I am definitely on that bandwagon;  but the discussion of firing him is incredibly stupid.  That's not happening.   We might as well say it's time to re-launch the Gemini Space Program!   Let his team "get old" and then let's see where they are.

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Sorry dude, but you're the one out of touch.  If you think bringing IU into "today's landscape" (whatever that means) will bring in the 5* recruits, then good luck with that.  What brings in 5* recruits is winning.  It starts with coaching.  

Unlike Archie, Coach K or Cal doesn't have to tell a recruit how good their chances of making the tournament will be.  They simply say -- "we are guaranteed a spot in the tourney, and within your time here it is highly likely we'll get sweet 16/elite 8.  With that, you can compete for a national title."    

"what brings in 5 stars is winning. It starts with coaching."

LSU went 18-15 in 2018 and went to the NIT. Their 2018 class? Two 5 stars and two 4 stars. Players ranked #18, #26, #35, and #62. Fourth best class in the nation. 

Memphis went 22-14 in 2019 and went to the NIT. Their 2019 class? Two 5 stars and five 4 stars. Players ranked #1, #15, #38, #52, #58, #106, and #115. Best class in the nation.  

Two programs with worse histories than IU and coaches that have been at their schools no longer than Archie has been at IU that managed to land incredible classes coming off bad seasons. 

We followed up the #10 class (that's looking like a massive flop) with the #53 class. Our 2020 class in ranked #29 right now. It will almost certainly drop once other teams fill out their recruiting classes. Recruiting doesn't have to be a grind. Take a look at the top 15 recruiting classes from 2019. It's a who's who of impermissible benefits.

Archie isn't a bad coach. If IU fired him down the line I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him build a great program at a more supportive school. 

21 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

It is not time to discuss firing anyone, and you jokers just can't help yourselves.  Fred Glass is retiring.  His last act is not going to be firing the guy who was his biggest hire.  Archie Miller isn't going anywhere this season, and this discussion is the definition of insanity.   Next season?  If the situation hasn't improved?  THEN is the time to begin the firing discussions.  Now?  It's just another mob discussion; same as "fire Tom Allen" and "fire Fred Glass."  

The easy way out of anything is to quit or just end something.  Break up.  Get rid of it.  "I can't deal with it."   It's elementary simplicity at it's finest.  I hate our offense, I am not impressed with what I see right now; but I also know Devonte Green is a captain.  The older players on this team are that bad.  And they're not Archie's.   It is very much time to be concerned, and I am definitely on that bandwagon;  but the discussion of firing him is incredibly stupid.  That's not happening.   We might as well say it's time to re-launch the Gemini Space Program!   Let his team "get old" and then let's see where they are.

We start 2 four year and 2 three year players. We don’t need to get old we need to get good.  But yeah keep making the same tired excuses. 

Whatever.  Cheerleaders, and all the "IU is boring " BS has nothing to do with winning basketball games. It's a sideshow.

Correct. Cheerleaders and all the IU is boring stuff has nothing to do with the actual games themself. However, I get the OP’s point. And also agree with him. There is nothing about our program that is “hip or cool” and I understand what he was trying to say. IU is extremely boring. Do you realize that we couldn’t even fill the gym playing vs a P5 opponent, when we played Arkansas?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

LSU went 18-15 in 2018 and went to the NIT. Their 2018 class? Two 5 stars and two 4 stars. Players ranked #18, #26, #35, and #62. Fourth best class in the nation. 
Memphis went 22-14 in 2019 and went to the NIT. Their 2019 class? Two 5 stars and five 4 stars. Players ranked #1, #15, #38, #52, #58, #106, and #115. Best class in the nation.  
Two programs with worse histories than IU and coaches that have been at their schools no longer than Archie has been at IU that managed to land incredible classes coming off bad seasons. 
We followed up the #10 class (that's looking like a massive flop) with the #53 class. Our 2020 class in ranked #29 right now. It will almost certainly drop once other teams fill out their recruiting classes. Recruiting doesn't have to be a grind. Take a look at the top 15 recruiting classes from 2019. It's a who's who of impermissible benefits.
Archie isn't a bad coach. If IU fired him down the line I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him build a great program at a more supportive school. 

I tend to believe this as well. I think Sean is the perfect measuring stick. It would all add up. Is he a good enough coach to do it with lesser talent?

4 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

You are more likely to marry your cousin in Indiana than KY, I believe? Someone may have to check me on that one

Every state allows second cousins to marry.  KY actually bans firsts cousins from marrying while Indiana allows under certain situations like first cousin once removed or over a certain age.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is said tongue-in-cheek, Right?  These are two of the worst examples you could've used!

Is Notre Dame football hip or cool? They also stand upon rich tradition. The cheerleaders dress conservatively. They play in an old stadium that was renovated. They have a very aged fanbase. Yet I see them starting every season in the top 10-15 and are a shoo-in for a bowl game every year, even the playoff, albeit undeservedly so in many cases IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

10 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

This is said tongue-in-cheek, Right?  These are two of the worst examples you could've used!

No. I used them because they're two programs that are shameless and thumb their noses at the NCAA because they realize nothing will happen to them. Iirc, Wade was pretty much caught red handed and he's back this year as their coach. There's nothing stopping us from doing the same thing those schools did except for ourselves. 

17 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Is Notre Dame football hip or cool? They also stand upon rich tradition. The cheerleaders dress conservatively. They play in an old stadium that was renovated. They have a very aged fanbase. Yet I see them starting every season in the top 10-15 and are a shoo-in for a bowl game every year, even the playoff, albeit undeservedly so in many cases IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not really. They start off ranked every season off of reputation, and they almost always get exposed once the season starts. They're not in a conference so they get to pad their schedule with easy wins. Whenever they play a good program they usually lose by quite a bit, especially in bowl games. Notre Dame football would actually be a pretty good comparison to IU basketball actually. Once great programs that aren't what they once were. 

Wow! With all the dissension and consternation in the above posts ..........I can tell I’ll be seeing y’all at the IU Log Rolling meets!
Bob that log!
Get that fall!
Kinda catchy cheers. You’ll get used to it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I’ll be there!!! My only question is regarding recruiting. Would Stihl, Echo and Husqvarna be the sponsor companies and would they steer athletes to the schools they want? Also, what emblem would be on our uniforms? Are we a Stihl school?

I don’t think the new AD will make a change unless we end the season worse than last year. The timing does not work even if the AD assumes the role before Glass leaves.

However, the conversation can really only be stopped by having some success on the court this year and a reason to hope for the following years. All that is in Archie, the staff and the players hands. If they underperform then this conversation will pick up steam.

I would love for it to end but as you said “it
Is very much time to be concerned”.

20 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

I’ll be there!!! My only question is regarding recruiting. Would Stihl, Echo and Husqvarna be the sponsor companies and would they steer athletes to the schools they want? Also, what emblem would be on our uniforms? Are we a Stihl school?

I'm thinking we are more of a Dolmar school!

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

So you're basically advocating cheating (or playing in the "grey" area).  No problem.  But that has nothing to do with the cheerleader outfits, or Hoosier Hysteria, the big faces behind the basket, the facilities, or some other nonsense.  

Look, if the argument is we are too conservative following the rules, we can have that discussion.  Some would say "just win baby" and hand out whatever it takes.  Others would say "cheaters never win."  The problem is we are in this mess because we hired a known cheater and he did it again (although I believe what he did is no longer impermissible).     

2 hours ago, yogisballin said:

Correct. Cheerleaders and all the IU is boring stuff has nothing to do with the actual games themself. However, I get the OP’s point. And also agree with him. There is nothing about our program that is “hip or cool” and I understand what he was trying to say. IU is extremely boring. Do you realize that we couldn’t even fill the gym playing vs a P5 opponent, when we played Arkansas?

It's not that IU isn't "hip or cool" or boring.  We can't fill the place because we are bad right now.  

Some of that was the students being gone, another part of that is people like me refusing to drive 5 hours to Bloomington and spending $500 and my weekend to watch what we know will be grueling to watch basketball.

I used to do it, I used to be excited to do it. I even used to drive to away games but it’s not fun when effort is optional