Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

This might be true but if we just sit back and ignore/not discuss then you can add a couple more years to 2021. Pressure starts to build on these boards first. Then pressure builds at games (through both empty seats and boos). Big donors, corporate sponsors start to drop and then IU pays attention. Change comes as a dissatisfied fan base builds momentum and that is tarting to pick up a lot of steam right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yep. And I’m not saying fans aren’t allowed to discuss it. It’s certainly warranted. But at the end of the day, we should still root for the coach and team. We’ve got a long way to go. And if we manage to get to the tournament, two or three wins could make all of this discussion pointless

2 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

Yep. And I’m not saying fans aren’t allowed to discuss it. It’s certainly warranted. But at the end of the day, we should still root for the coach and team. We’ve got a long way to go. And if we manage to get to the tournament, two or three wins could make all of this discussion pointless

I still hope for Archie to succeed. The same way I hope Natalie Portman shows up at my door professing her love for me and my wife is down for whatever. 

As in I hope it happens but I see no reason to expect it does. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

I think we all hope he succeeds, I hope I wake up next to Emma Watson too.  Doesn't mean it's going to happen or in any way looks realistic.

There are a whole bunch of things that haven’t been handled properly at IU over the last 20+ years, but at the end of the day, I truly think it’s Archie killing us RIGHT NOW.  Whether it’s his style of play or his personality, 17 and 18 year old kids are not attracted to coming to IU (2020 class is nothing special and far from elite). 0-13 with recent out of state recruits, and I don’t blame them either.  If I’m a recruit I’m looking at the coach, playing-style, university, and facilities in that order.  I think IUs facilities are good enough now that no recruit is being deterred by them.  It’s an Archie problem and he needs to solve it, or he will be gone sooner rather than later.

I loathe our admin, but under the same umbrella Crean somehow won big ten titles and had IU a number one seed in the tourney.  We obviously fell flat on our faces after that, but c’mon.  It can be done here and it really shouldn’t take long to turn it around.  All it takes is a couple good recruiting CLASSES, not one elite player in a class with a bunch of 3 star and low 4 star recruits.  Unfortunately, I think recruiting is going to nose dive (it was dipping heavily already) if we stick with Archie past this year.  We need to cut our losses and start over NOW before setting the program back another 4 or 5 years. 

To those saying, who will come here?  Just stop and please shut up.  That’s a loser’s mentality that has grown like a cancer within our fanbase.  IU is a top 10 program with millions to throw around, an amazing recruiting base, good facilities, and passionate (if not a little crazy) fans.  All it takes is the right coach, and I’m near certain it isn’t Archie.  Tell that **** Shoulders to get out of the way and go make a real blue blood hire.

That is what happens. We love IU, watch the games and get excited about just about every game. The reason there is such a outcry of frustration is that we want our team to excel but too often they have not. We know that 2 or 3 games may make all the difference in getting into the tournament and when we lose quad 1 opportunities we see those slipping away.

I hope we all want archie to succeed. We wont have this discussion if we start winning games. We fired crean because big ten championships and sweet 16s were not good enough. I sure hope winning a few big ten games and hoping for a nit isn't good enough and that is where we are or looks like we will be anyways.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

His inability to develop players means he needs to recruit like his Brother or Cal. He is not allowed. 

The issue is lack of player evaluation, lack of player development and lack of motivation, not that he isn’t encouraged to cheat by the administration.

The best two teams in college basketball the past 5 years are Villanova and Virginia... they aren’t stacked with suitcase money 1 and dones.

This is on Archie and his staff. The administration isn’t on the recruiting trail, isn’t running practices, isn’t setting line ups and substitutions, isn’t coaching on the sidelines and drawing up plays or the lack there of

Edit:

And for the record, I do think our facility upgrades were cheap and lazy and puts us middle of the pack vs in front a focal point for recruiting. I am the one that complained about the the cheap finishes that has been mocked by a few for years but not one of them has said they like those cheap finishes - easier to poke fun.

Well, this hasn’t been fun and while the administration hasn’t done Archie any favors, they aren’t the ones leading this basketball program on a daily basis.

Our facilities are now fine, not great. Our recruiting budget is tops in the bigten. Our fan support and attendance is nuts given how bad we are, we have history whether recruits care or not, we’re on television a ton, we pay our coach top ten money, we live in a basketball rich state etc etc,

There is no reason for us to get embarrassed game after game, year after year and sit at home during the tourney more often than not

That is what happens. We love IU, watch the games and get excited about just about every game. The reason there is such a outcry of frustration is that we want our team to excel but too often they have not. We know that 2 or 3 games may make all the difference in getting into the tournament and when we lose quad 1 opportunities we see those slipping away.

Quad 1 opportunities are going to be there all year long. IU will have plenty of opportunities. 13 Quad 1 games as of today left in the B1G The B1G is loaded. When IU starts losing out on quad 1 opportunities at home then you can say they are slipping away but losing road games in conference shouldn’t be considered slipping away. Just my opinion.

5 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don't think the problem with IU basketball is Archie. If we fire him I think people will be disappointed when the next coach doesn't do any better. Archie knows what has to be done to be a great program in today's NCAA. His big brother is one of he best in the business at playing the game. But at IU Archie has to fight tooth and nail to get basic things that other programs have no problem with. We often compare him to Lousiville and OSU's coaches, but if Archie had went to one of those schools and one of those coaches had came here I think Archie would be doing very well and the coach we got would be struggling. 

Which "basic things" do you think Archie is "fighting tooth and nail for" that "other programs have no problem with"?

Quad 1 opportunities are going to be there all year long. IU will have plenty of opportunities. 13 Quad 1 games as of today left in the B1G The B1G is loaded. When IU starts losing out on quad 1 opportunities at home then you can say they are slipping away but losing road games in conference shouldn’t be considered slipping away. Just my opinion.

Fair point but I would like to see us compete better on the road. Even if we lose I would like to see us lose close. I know we don’t get any points for losing close. I also know this is not what you are saying but it seems the team takes the approach that we have plenty of quad 1 opportunities and when a game starts to slip away no worries we will just get the next one.

Fair point but I would like to see us compete better on the road. Even if we lose I would like to see us lose close. I know we don’t get any points for losing close. I also know this is not what you are saying but it seems the team takes the approach that we have plenty of quad 1 opportunities and when a game starts to slip away no worries we will just get the next one.

IU didn’t make the tourney last year because of their failure to win games against tournament quality teams at home. IU was 6-9 in Quad 1 games last year which was very respectable. Problem was they went 2-5 in Quad 2 games with 3 losses at home
This year will come down to how IU does against teams 5-12 in the B1G at home and if they can steal any games on the road from 5-12. Cant really afford to lose to Northwestern or Nebraska as well. Take your lumps from the top 4 and see what happens.

I hope we all want archie to succeed. We wont have this discussion if we start winning games. We fired crean because big ten championships and sweet 16s were not good enough. I sure hope winning a few big ten games and hoping for a nit isn't good enough and that is where we are or looks like we will be anyways.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Crean was not fired because of Big Ten Championships and Sweet 16s were his ceiling.

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Pretty much. I’m shocked with how underwhelming Archie’s recruiting has been. Would love to know why?

I think it's just his personality. Anymore, recruits are drawn to the coach more than the school. Look at Crean, getting the #2 freshman in the country to come to Georgia. I doubt that kid went there to learn more about how to beat a zone. 

Other than handing out bags of cash or being directly tied to the shoe scandal, the main determinate of recruiting success is running around the country like a weasel in heat on meth. For some reason, many recruits come off as strangely insecure and needy for attention (maybe they lack strong father figures in their lives, I don't know). They always talk about the "love" they feel from the coaches as a factor in their choices. I think Crean has an abundance of that kind of energy. Remember those creep tweets he sent out a few years back? ("I've been thinking about you a lot, a whole lot") I'm convinced he got Anthony Edwards on sheer, single-minded, maniacal effort. 

I strongly suspect Archie Miller is lacking in this area. He's very...plain. He's not telegenic or charismatic in any way. He doesn't project confidence or a strong sense of direction. He's just...here. And it's like he has no idea why. 

8 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I strongly suspect Archie Miller is lacking in this area. He's very...plain. He's not telegenic or charismatic in any way. He doesn't project confidence or a strong sense of direction. He's just...here. And it's like he has no idea why. 

I have very similar thoughts.  Top players are, to some extent, prima donnas and are drawn to being told how important they are.

In some of the interviews with recruits they describe him as "solid" and business like - not in a negative way, but not really compelling (charismatic was a good word).  Personally, I'd prefer dealing with someone like that, but it probably doesn't sway teenagers.

19 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Players’ lounge, post practice meals, adequate student athlete housing- basic stuff that any program not run by morons would have.

Should have asked for more time to practice free throws.  

22 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I don’t think it’s Archie’s personality or the lack there of that is hurting us. Look at coach K, he’s as boring as it gets

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You can be boring when you have the legacy and clout of K.