Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

At the end of 2020-21 its 10.5 mil. As it is with most coaches contracts, its offset by what the next contract the coach gets. IU paid near nothing for Crean since he got 2.5 mn/year or so to coach at UGA. Archie should be able to get a position in a Power 5 or multi-bid conference for 7 figures. Any buyout is contingent upon what the $$$ donors are willing to dole out. Of course, its probably at the expense of adding/improving facilities but its either having fancy shiny buildings or a team that (gasp!) makes the NCAA's as a minimum standard. 

11 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Exactly who are we suppose to hire who willl turn the program over in one night?..

Nobody is expecting an overnight fix. We just want to see good basketball, with players who don't quit when things get tough. It's why I was ok with Archie's first season. Even last year, we seemed to be trending up. Right now, the arrow is pointing firmly down, and I don't see anything on the horizon other than blind hope that's going to reverse it. We'd be better off peeling the band-aid now and hoping the next guy is a better fit than sticking with something that isn't working. 

But again, this is Indiana, where we have to let coaches fail for 6-7 years instead of 2-3 because...well, we just have to. 

33 minutes ago, Defenserocks28 said:

I appreciate your post.  Not sure why you're getting attacked and people are choosing to be obnoxious and ignorant of the point you're making. 

Probably because it was an ignorant post devoid of any knowledge of the current facilities this team has been given access to. Blaming the admin for the lack of on court success is simply dumb. 

When I found out we hired Archie I was pretty upset . We were hearing big name rumors and I was pumped up. This year I still feel the same. I see what Chris Mack has done and Holtman is recruiting well. Both appear to be better hires so far. I look at Bruce Pearl who has been brought up earlier. He’s a winner, has enthusiasm, recruits well and was a coach where I am from At University OF Southern Indiana. He has a strong following here . Bruce has operated in the grey area and I know that scares a lot of people, but after seeing how UL, UK, UNC, Arizona and many other schools operate, I don’t think it is as important. I’m not saying we should get players hookers, or give them fake grades, but Pearl is the type of hire that would bring championships.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

When I found out we hired Archie I was pretty upset . We were hearing big name rumors and I was pumped up. This year I still feel the same. I see what Chris Mack has done and Holtman is recruiting well. Both appear to be better hires so far. I look at Bruce Pearl who has been brought up earlier. He’s a winner, has enthusiasm, recruits well and was a coach where I am from At University OF Southern Indiana. He has a strong following here . He has operated in the grey area and I know that scares a lot of people, but after seeing how UL, UK, UNC, Arizona and many other schools operate, I don’t think it is as important. I’m not saying we should get players hookers, or give them fake grades, but Pearl is the type of hire that would bring championships.

Pretty much. I’m shocked with how underwhelming Archie’s recruiting has been. Would love to know why?

That’s what is great about college vs pros.

You can recruit powerhouses. You have full control. Even if you are an average in game coach, recruit studs.

At this point I have to question Archies talent evaluation, skill development, in game coaching, among other things. All of it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think it’s telling that there are some that were finally pushed over the edge after today, me included. Been on the fence for a long time as to whether he could be the right guy and been hanging on by a rusty nail for a while.

Also telling that the Archie defenders aren’t here, not in the game thread nor here. I’m not saying they changed their stance but where are they?

I was one of the Archie supporters. My faith is about spent at this point. I was at the Arkansas game and the last 8 minutes felt completely helpless. Once we pulled within a few points in the second half today and then Maryland steamrolled is, it again felt helpless.
At least with Crean I at times felt that we could shoot ourselves back into games and yogi would galvanize the troops somewhat. I don’t see anyone galvanizing anything right now. Durhams fire is gone. Phinisees fire is gone. Feels exactly like this same time last year. It’s demoralizing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Pretty much. I’m shocked with how underwhelming Archie’s recruiting has been. Would love to know why?

I think a big part of it is because he limits his recruiting.  His inside out philosophy may win points with some fans, but it hampers recruiting.

Some people were excited to get Dsmezi Anderson because he was an Indiana kid who "gets it".  Somebody who was really excited to represent his state across his chest.

That's a feel good Hallmark story, but it means nothing except he saddled himself with Damezi Anderson instead of searching a larger more national base.

I don't  care if a recruit is from Indiana or Uranus.  

Probably because it was an ignorant post devoid of any knowledge of the current facilities this team has been given access to. Blaming the admin for the lack of on court success is simply dumb. 

You might be surprised that even after the new locker rooms were done Archie himself graded things at a B-. Usually when you are the most recent, you are ahead of the curve but even when we tried to catch up we still could not get there. Some of that is a trade off for playing in an older arena. Space is limited

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

You might be surprised that even after the new locker rooms were done Archie himself graded things at a B-. Usually when you are the most recent, you are ahead of the curve but even when we tried to catch up we still could not get there. Some of that is a trade off for playing in an older arena. Space is limited

Which is why it should have been a new arena. I know at one point it was planned to be. 

Facilities can be part of it but Archie has many of his recruits here now. Guys he went after and got.

Someone mentioned that the roster was actually in better shape when he got here than it is now. This is an interesting point. We keep hearing about how the cupboard was bare but Archie inherited Morgan who had 2 all big seasons and his first year he had 2 senior guards each having started a ton of games. That is not a bare cupboard.