Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Funny you mention that. I went to watch another team in the state on Saturday who will be a tournament team this year since I figured IU would lose @ Maryland. Thankful for some connections I got to go into the locker room after the game. I was able to sit down with the coaches for a little while and just talk about CBB. IU came up, and the head coach said in the last 10 years it seems to me that IU fans just wait for something bad to happen during the season and the first thing that comes up is fire the coach. He said so many fans have no idea what is going on day to day with a program but it's always fire the coach is the answer. I said so you wouldn't be interested and he said HELL NO and we all laughed. Anyway sorry for rambling but it made me think of you and others. 

Chris,

I'm kind of curious - did this coach say anything about how much he would or would not like to play against IU or how easy they would be to game plan against?

You think Kentucky fans wouldn’t be equally irate? IU fans aren’t any worse than those at other blueblood schools. The fanbase is a copout excuse for coaches who don’t have the confidence that they can do a good job.

Your citing something that did 0 to help us last year. Why would you think it would make people feel better this year?
And it’s not irrational to think that something that hasn’t helped in the past isn’t going to help now

Is it irrational to wait and see how the year plays out without this kind of uproar over two losses? I mean didn’t most everyone on this board agree they wanted to see improvement and that improvement was making the tourney? If we don’t make the tourney I agree with you. I think most everyone said as much prior to the season except Josh.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Firing Archie Miller is in the title of the post. As the coach said if I'm not successful in the first 2.5 years fans will be wanting me fired. Both are correct. I won't get into whether he coaches good basketball or not but I do know I've read of your posts to know we don't agree on what we think good basketball is. 

To be fair, didn’t this coach tell you that in year 2 some fans wanted him fired but now that his team is top 25 he is great? I am trying to understand the difference here. I know Butler fans were not happy last year and it sounds like the coach recognized that fans were talking of firing him his second year. How is that different than IU fans talking about firing Archie in year 3?

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

Is it irrational to wait and see how the year plays out without this kind of uproar over two losses? I mean didn’t most everyone on this board agree they wanted to see improvement and that improvement was making the tourney? If we don’t make the tourney I agree with you. I think most everyone said as much prior to the season except Josh.

It's more than just two losses.  Come on now, this same basketball has been happening for almost 3 years under Archie.

It amazes me that we can have such a bad product and yet some people complain more about hearing about it rather than the product itself.

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

This isn’t about the two losses. Just like last year the weaknesses first reared their head in wins and went unaddressed. 

We are in the same exact boat and nothing is being done. If I’m going to feel better Archie needs to do something. If there’s a cancer on the team kick them off. 

As a Leader you have to do visible things when things are falling apart. You don’t get to operate in secret as a leader. 

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

To be fair, didn’t this coach tell you that in year 2 some fans wanted him fired but now that his team is top 25 he is great? I am trying to understand the difference here. I know Butler fans were not happy last year and it sounds like the coach recognized that fans were talking of firing him his second year. How is that different than IU fans talking about firing Archie in year 3?

He said it was just a few select fans, the same fans that weren't happy that he got the job in the first place. But this year everyone is happy

This isn’t about the two losses. Just like last year the weaknesses first reared their head in wins and went unaddressed. 

We are in the same exact boat and nothing is being done. If I’m going to feel better Archie needs to do something. If there’s a cancer on the team kick them off. 

As a Leader you have to do visible things when things are falling apart. You don’t get to operate in secret as a leader. 

I guess what were you expecting this year differently? I thought the team would be better within their roles which I thought was limited. RP, Green, and Davis have disappointed. Smith has played better in a Small ball 4 role. Brunk has impressed me versus his game last year. TJD was better than advertised. Al is who he is. I guess I always anticipated these issues based on who and how he was recruiting. But my thing always has been he has to make the tourney. Same as a lot of people. That hasn’t change other than a few people in uproar over the last two games. You guys can say it’s not over the last two losses, but then where was this uproar to this level prior? When was this thread started. This 100% comes down to how we have played over the last two games for some. I don’t get it.

CAM is well aware of the expectations for coaching here. I'm sure he is aware of the consequences of not meeting them. I doubt that anyone knows what goes on in practices or in the locker room. Given that, it's for me to say what needs to be done. CAM is ultimately responsible for the product on the floor and I'm pretty sure he knows and will be held accountable. It's really hard for me to be critical of the players considering they chose to play here rather than somewhere else. We offered other kids who declined. If what we have is not good enough, then it's because this was the best we could get at the time. No one gets to this level without being competitive and I find hard to believe that any of them enjoy losing. I can't imagine it's much fun walking around campus after getting embarrassed on the basketball court. I've said repeatedly that I like these kids and will continue to do so until they do something unrelated to basketball to change that. I try to not be too concerned about things over which I have no control. This falls under that category.

40 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yep that is the collective belief. It was that way before we lost two games. Then people lost their **** like that’s the end of the season. Some just wait for a loss. It’s been that way since he was hired. Some are just frustrated because they wanted us to be further along last year. We are 11-3. They are fully able to make the tournament. If they don’t I think a change should be made. I don’t necessarily believe a change would happen.

For me it's not so much the result of the games.  You can look bad on a W and good in a L; we've just looked bad, period.  We've seen the same issues as we saw during the spiral last season including lack of effort.  We still struggle with the easiest shot on the game.  Same players making the same mistakes, but still get the same minutes.

Change the starting lineup, alter substitutions, pressure more on D (although our D sucks too) to try and create transition chances; do something.

For me it's not so much the result of the games.  You can look bad on a W and good in a L; we've just looked bad, period.  We've seen the same issues as we saw during the spiral last season including lack of effort.  We still struggle with the easiest shot on the game.  Same players making the same mistakes, but still get the same minutes.
Change the starting lineup, alter substitutions, pressure more on D (although our D sucks too) to try and create transition chances; do something.

I don’t disagree we have looked “bad”. How we have looked is exactly like a 7-10 seed in the tournament. If we looked “good” like everyone is expecting we would be a top 4 seed. I would agree that would be optimal, but it was never the reality of this team.

14 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

On Saturday, I thought we looked pretty good in the first half except we weren't hitting shots (I'm resigned to the fact we shoot poorly, I guess).  Then in the second half we were shooting worse, weren't getting anything down low, making more errors, and Maryland was scoring and viola! I thought we looked like something you scrape off your shoe.  The truth is, we struggle to shoot the ball at a mediocre clip, but can otherwise play well.  As the game progresses and we miss shots it affects everything else we do, it seems. 

Because of poor shooting, we have a limited ceiling, but without good defense, valuing the ball, and constantly looking for the good shot we're barely competitive.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

I was right about Archie all along.  That seems to upset some people.

First, Would you rather be "right" about Archie all along?

Or would you rather him succeed and IU start winning like we all want? 

Second, you're giving yourself WAY too much credit if you think people are upset that YOU were "right" about Archie all along. We will be upset if Archie isn't the guy and will have nothing to do with you. 

42 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Chris,

I'm kind of curious - did this coach say anything about how much he would or would not like to play against IU or how easy they would be to game plan against?

No we didn't discuss that since they play every other year. 

8 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

First, Would you rather be "right" about Archie all along?

Or would you rather him succeed and IU start winning like we all want? 

Second, you're giving yourself WAY too much credit if you think people are upset that YOU were "right" about Archie all along. We will be upset if Archie isn't the guy and will have nothing to do with you. 

I'm not happy we suck.  

Firing Archie Miller is in the title of the post. As the coach said if I'm not successful in the first 2.5 years fans will be wanting me fired. Both are correct. I won't get into whether he coaches good basketball or not but I do know I've read of your posts to know we don't agree on what we think good basketball is. 

Then you haven’t actually read any of my post. People want Archie fired because the writing is on the wall that’s he’s not good enough at this level.