Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Everyone keeps acting like Archie left two scholarships open intentionally. I think he tried to fill them, and just couldn't. Some coaches are recruiters, and others aren't. Right now, Archie Miller is not a recruiter. 

Recently, I was reading some posts on a Dayton board, just to see if they had any insight into our current struggles. One poster said he thought Miller might struggle to recruit at a high level because he's too much of an introvert. 

Recruiters recruit. Archie Miller is not a recruiter. 

Maybe why he brought Schilling in as recruiter and for what ever reason that didnt work

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Cool. Doesn’t mean Archie shouldn’t be fired. Just making the tourney shouldn’t save your job when no real progress is ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

How many other coaches have been fired in year 3 after making the tourney? I don't know the answer but I'm guessing 0 unless they were cheating. 

Really?

Depends which bracketoligist you follow. Lunardi has IU out (he is 55th in bracket matrix). The guy Chris showed has IU in has the first 10 seed still. ( he is number 1 in bracket matrix. I still have them in but trending down. If they win 3 more they will get in tournament in my opinion

How many other coaches have been fired in year 3 after making the tourney? I don't know the answer but I'm guessing 0 unless they were cheating. 

Well Kentucky fired Gillespie after two seasons. Made the NCAA his first and the NIT his second.

20 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well Kentucky fired Gillespie after two seasons. Made the NCAA his first and the NIT his second.

I heard the Gillespie era was a mess.  Sounds like it definitely was after only 2 seasons .. 

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/1/the-closing-of-the-gillispie-era/

Pretty entertaining stories though..

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/crazy-billy-gillispie-stories.129470/page-2

I don't think people's primary complaint is the record. If the team fought hard every game but just came up short people would still be annoyed, but the pitchforks wouldn't be out for Archie. Instead, more often than not the team goes out there and plays like they couldn't care less. It's been the case for the past two seasons. And when it happens in a home game against your biggest rival when your estranged GOAT coach comes back for the first time in 20 years, people will be completely done with you. If you can't get your team ready to play on an afternoon like that then you might as well pack your bags and leave town.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Also if the season ended today we would be in the tourney. 

It's really unfortunate for us that the season doesn't end today, tbh. We've lost 5 of the last 6 and have been free falling out of the tournament picture that we're only still in because we were 15-4 at one point with some good wins.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don't think people's primary complaint is the record. If the team fought hard every game but just came up short people would still be annoyed, but the pitchforks wouldn't be out for Archie. Instead, more often than not the team goes out there and plays like they couldn't care less. It's been the case for the past two seasons. And when it happens in a home game against your biggest rival when your estranged GOAT coach comes back for the first time in 20 years, people will be completely done with you. If you can't get your team ready to play on an afternoon like that then you might as well pack your bags and leave town.

This.  It's not always about Ws and Ls, you can look good in an L and bad in a W; I can handle a loss a lot easier if the team plays hard and doesn't quit at the first sign of adversity.

This.  It's not always about Ws and Ls, you can look good in an L and bad in a W; I can handle a loss a lot easier if the team plays hard and doesn't quit at the first sign of adversity.

When your losing on average by double digits and losing on the road by 16 there is nothing to follow, watch attentively, get excited about.

They are literally wasting so many people’s time and after a while, people just refuse to waste it anymore

7 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

When your losing on average by double digits and losing on the road by 16 there is nothing to follow, watch attentively, get excited about.

They are literally wasting so many people’s time and after a while, people just refuse to waste it anymore

No kidding.  I started watching Sunday before saying screw it I'd rather do housework.

Here is another Archie thing that doesn't get talked about a lot....outside of Juwan from his sophomore to junior year, who at IU has gotten better under Archie??? Smith, Green, Davis, and Durham to me are the same players they were as freshmen. Same for Phinisee and Anderson so far. Just because those guys might score a few more points a game than they did doesn't mean they have gotten better. That is what worries me about TJD and Hunter. Are they going to get better? Eli Brooks for Michigan averaged 3 points last year. He is getting 11 a game this year. In college basketball you need your players to get significantly better. I think that is what is holding Purdue back as well. Their guys aren't getting better. 

Here is another Archie thing that doesn't get talked about a lot....outside of Juwan from his sophomore to junior year, who at IU has gotten better under Archie??? Smith, Green, Davis, and Durham to me are the same players they were as freshmen. Same for Phinisee and Anderson so far. That is what worries me about TJD and Hunter. Are they going to get better? Eli Brooks for Michigan averaged 3 points last year. He is getting 11 a game this year. In college basketball you need your players to get significantly better. I think that is what is holding Purdue back as well. Their guys aren't getting better. 

I agree. Folks will often use guys like Brunk, Rob (year 1) Davis, Morgan but we don’t see a lot of examples for guys in year 2 under this staff.

Just now, 8bucks said:

I agree. Folks will often use guys like Brunk, Rob (year 1) Davis, Morgan but we don’t see a lot of examples for guys in year 2 under this staff.

Yup. I think to be a Big Ten/NCAA contender you need certain guys in certain roles. You need 1-2 players who are top 10-15 players in the country. I think TJD could be that guy, but I'm not so sure Archie can develop him. You then need 2-3 players who are top 10-15 players in the conference. I think that can be TJD, Rob, and Jerome but again, not so sure Archie can get them there. You then need 5 guys who are good at their role. I think that was how our 2012-2013 team was built. I think that is how Virginia was build last year. I think Archie has guys who have a lot of potential but right now are no better than just role players (Franklin, Hunter, Phinisee, Brunk). I think that same thing can be said about our three recruits next year. 

Guy I coach with played for Bruce Pearl at USI. I tell him all the time to text Bruce and tell him IU wants him. Dude has been a winner wherever he's been (USI, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Tennessee, Auburn). He got busted for something stupid at Tennessee like Sampson did at IU. I think Bruce would get students to come to our games. He'd get people excited about IU basketball. His teams play a fast paced fun style. I think he could get any recruit he would want. In my fairytale dream head coach list, he's in my top 3. 

I think Bruce Pearl would be a legitimate target in terms of reality and I think he would win big and as you noted, bring a level of excitement back to Indiana that hasn’t been here since Yogis senior year and really Zeller and Oladipos final year

11 hours ago, finky said:

Not sure about this morning......but Fred should be told his last day is March 31st, New AD announced on 4/1 (no jokes :)) and then by May 1st we have a REAL Coach behind the wheel of this program again.  Based on some chatter, I really don't think that is out of the question.

And Yes...if the reports of Beiline are true, IU should have representatives camping outside on his lawn with a Brinks truck with them.

Why can’t we just hire the new AD and move Glass to emeritus status.  No reason to have a lame duck AD.