Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

Question

Does Archie land at another power 5 after IU?

How quickly is he successful?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Sadly I think we are stuck as fans. I truly think indiana will stick with him through 5 seasons and drag this program into hell.

I have zero faith in him and zero faith in the school. I think we are all truly going to have to decide if we want to maintain this level of passion and love for what is and will become Iowa basketball. That’s what we are now

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

We need a coach who understands what basketball mean in the state of Indiana. We need a coach who will use IU resources to recruit the state and country. We need a guy who will run a respectable offense and defense. We need a guy who demands effort. Hire Matt Painter.

Yeah it’s really not that difficult. IU can’t get out of its own way though

15 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Sadly I think we are stuck as fans. I truly think indiana will stick with him through 5 seasons and drag this program into hell.

I have zero faith in him and zero faith in the school. I think we are all truly going to have to decide if we want to maintain this level of passion and love for what is and will become Iowa basketball. That’s what we are now

12 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

We have a glimmer of hope (ok not much) with a new AD. Other than that.......

What will probably happen is we get a new AD this summer, then winter 2020-21 President Dundee does what Cool Dad did and has his own retirement tour. Then the new AD waits for a new prez to come on board and its until spring 2022 when a decision is made. For all we know, IU makes the next 2 NCAA's and the team gets some luck or we chance into the NIT at best. The poor results from the team combined with the transition in upper management really puts any momentum the program can gain in a pickle.

Well I got my Masters from Dayton so i am done with the Hoosiers and going to follow the Flyers, went and saw them play UMass a few weeks ago and at least it was enjoyable to watch. Never been so disappointed in my team...F#$k

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Pretty bad when I started game an hour late on purpose to save time, then fast forwarded almost the entire 2nd half.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners
Did the same. My time is too valuable to me to waste it on the same bs game after game. I cut through all FT's, commercials and skip ahead 15 seconds or so when I'm real pissed. Not sure why I'm even doing it anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Exactly the same.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Only reason I suffered through the whole half is because I was at the gym on a treadmill, so I was doing something halfway productive.
I remember them showing Knight leaving and the first thought that went through my head was, even he doesn’t want to watch this crap.

Did anyone else catch Buckner and Wittman’s interview during the second half? At one point I think it was Buckner who emphasized that this was a players thing today. Not the school.

I realize the players are a big part of why he came back but that comment seemed intentional by Buckner.

Not for this reason alone but it just reminds me that we have some real problems above Archie. I have no confidence they can make a good hire.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

8 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Did anyone else catch Buckner and Wittman’s interview during the second half? At one point I think it was Buckner who emphasized that this was a players thing today. Not the school.

I realize the players are a big part of why he came back but that comment seemed intentional by Buckner.

Not for this reason alone but it just reminds me that we have some real problems above Archie. I have no confidence they can make a good hire.

I caught that too. Makes you wonder just how tied CAM’s hands are in regard to running the basketball program.

Let's say Archie really is a fiery guy and WANTS to chew some butt and be more candid but isn't being allowed to.  What's the difference?  He either gets animated and pissed and gets fired for that, or complies with the "higher powers" and coaches a few more years and ends up fired because of no results.  Either way, end result is the same.  May as well let the lion out and coach how u want.  IF he has that fire in him.  I see Archie looking like the life has been sucked outta him.  If he IS being handcuffed, it's very easy to stop giving a sh*t. Basically, go do what u want guys cause Lord knows I can't say anything to u.  But who knows.

Let's say Archie really is a fiery guy and WANTS to chew some butt and be more candid but isn't being allowed to.  What's the difference?  He either gets animated and pissed and gets fired for that, or complies with the "higher powers" and coaches a few more years and ends up fired because of no results.  Either way, end result is the same. 

Exactly. You either have a set and do it your way and do the job you were hired to do and dare them to fire you for it, or you role over and get fired anyway.

21 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

It isn’t a secret or rocket science. The administration just doesn’t want to prioritize being a blue blood basketball program anymore. If you really believe that there is no amount of money that could convince Mark Few to leave Gonzaga you’re not living in reality. UK refused mediocrity and went out and bought Calipri, UNC refused mediocrity and bought Roy Williams. If IU reallyyy wanted to, they would open the wallet and go get Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan, Mark Few or Tony Bennett. It’s only about the money. That’s it. If you don’t believe that’s the case you aren’t informed. We could be elite tomorrow. Our administration doesn’t see the need to be, even though the money is there. I hear people talking about Archie’s buyout clause being $17M, like that’s a driver. Do you really think that amount of money is even statistically significant to our basketball program??? One or two boosters could cut a check for that tomorrow if it meant Final Fours. Bottom line, our admin stopped caring about being a blue blood basketball school and instead feel like being a top Business program, ballet school and communications school are what’s more important. 

Chalk me up to stoked about archie hire but now devastated and undeniably time to make a change. Forget Bob knight being there. It's just a bad product and also forget who we lost to. This is bad anyway you split it. Bad bad bad

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Let's say Archie really is a fiery guy and WANTS to chew some butt and be more candid but isn't being allowed to.  What's the difference?  He either gets animated and pissed and gets fired for that, or complies with the "higher powers" and coaches a few more years and ends up fired because of no results.  Either way, end result is the same.  May as well let the lion out and coach how u want.  IF he has that fire in him.  I see Archie looking like the life has been sucked outta him.  If he IS being handcuffed, it's very easy to stop giving a sh*t. Basically, go do what u want guys cause Lord knows I can't say anything to u.  But who knows.

Archie has enough contacts at big time schools to know if he is being unreasonably restricted here. If he is, and it was me, I would control my exit.

He would not have to bad mouth the school but he could say that while IU is a wonderful institution they are not really interested in having a big time basketball program. Give a few examples, be nice about it but just say that he has a different passion about basketball and wishes us all the luck.

I don’t say this thinking we will hire a better coach and I just want him out. I don’t know that we have the admin to be competitive any more. I would respect him more, if he is being restrained, to say screw it vs staying and doing something you don’t believe in. Until he does that, it is hard for me to believe it.