Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

If u ask me, cocktails with Nips could solve many of the world’s problems

I agree. I often think he is the most interesting man alive. That and he lives about 30 from my family in southern Florida. Who wouldn’t want to visit nips? Plus Naples. I know nips is rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Here’s my quick take:

I’m frustrated has heck right now with the program, Archie, players, etc. I was a huge Archie supporter, even during the horrible stretch of losses last season. However, I’m quickly being turned off of our men’s basketball program that we all love so much with how things are trending.

Do I think he needs to be fired, no, but missing the tournament this year will be a nail in the coffin. There is no excuse for missing the tournament this season. However, I’m also trying to give Coach Miller some benefit of the doubt because our upperclassmen just aren’t cutting it for this team.

Now, I do believe Archie’s system is slightly flawed and when you have these juniors and seniors on the roster it gets really exposed. Archie’s defense mindset first is great, but if all you want are defensive players that can really hurt your offense. This team needs shooters and playmakers, but does recruiting to defense and certain attributes for this type of ball kill any potential for a good offense?

You have to find balance to some degree, and this team has none. I do understand some of our best players have been injured and that does really hamper a team, but this is now year 2 of that. Is this a player issue, training issue, or what?

At the end of the day, Archie will be here a guaranteed 4th year and most likely 5th. I’ve come to terms with that and while I have quite a bit of pessimism going forward, I want nothing more than this team to turn it around. I don’t agree with cutting ties now or after this year, because I do believe there is reason for hope in the midst of my pessimism.

I feel like I represent a lot of Hoosier Nation right now, but maybe I’m wrong. I’m mad and frustrated, but believe Archie deserves a little longer. I want nothing more than for Archie to be the guy and make us a consistent B1G and NCAA Tourny contender (not just barely in, I mean a good contender) like this program can be capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Miller's a defensive minded coach but our defense sucks too.  We're just plain bad on both ends of the floor.

38 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Here’s my quick take:

I’m frustrated has heck right now with the program, Archie, players, etc. I was a huge Archie supporter, even during the horrible stretch of losses last season. However, I’m quickly being turned off of our men’s basketball program that we all love so much with how things are trending.

Do I think he needs to be fired, no, but missing the tournament this year will be a nail in the coffin. There is no excuse for missing the tournament this season. However, I’m also trying to give Coach Miller some benefit of the doubt because our upperclassmen just aren’t cutting it for this team.

Now, I do believe Archie’s system is slightly flawed and when you have these juniors and seniors on the roster it gets really exposed. Archie’s defense mindset first is great, but if all you want are defensive players that can really hurt your offense. This team needs shooters and playmakers, but does recruiting to defense and certain attributes for this type of ball kill any potential for a good offense?

You have to find balance to some degree, and this team has none. I do understand some of our best players have been injured and that does really hamper a team, but this is now year 2 of that. Is this a player issue, training issue, or what?

At the end of the day, Archie will be here a guaranteed 4th year and most likely 5th. I’ve come to terms with that and while I have quite a bit of pessimism going forward, I want nothing more than this team to turn it around. I don’t agree with cutting ties now or after this year, because I do believe there is reason for hope in the midst of my pessimism.

I feel like I represent a lot of Hoosier Nation right now, but maybe I’m wrong. I’m mad and frustrated, but believe Archie deserves a little longer. I want nothing more than for Archie to be the guy and make us a consistent B1G and NCAA Tourny contender (not just barely in, I mean a good contender) like this program can be capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I agree I want Archie to succeed here.  I don't want to start over.  But I don't want to wander in the wilderness for two more years either.  Archie needs to pull his head out of his a$$ now and figure it out.  This is a huge week -- with NW and OSU at home.  If we are, in Don Fisher's words, "inept" in either game all hell is going to break loose.  

The last few days I've been nursing an insane conspiracy theory that makes more and more sense the more I think about it.

You know how news outlets will publish irrelevant, "controversial" junk stories on social media purely because it drives engagement (and subsequently, ad revenue), with all the negative reactions and arguing that goes on in the comments? Well, would it surprise anyone if it came out that IU somehow benefits financially from all the negative social media engagement? Every loss guarantees hundreds (if not thousands) of angry comments calling for Archie's job, and then hundreds of responses calling for cooler heads to prevail, and back and forth...could it be that there's some new media/social media "genius" in the administration pushing for this? We all know the administration doesn't prioritize basketball, and once I got to thinking about this, I just couldn't shake it.

This is obviously a preposterous idea, and this post is mostly a facetious flight of fancy, but would ANYTHING truly be surprising at this point?

The last few days I've been nursing an insane conspiracy theory that makes more and more sense the more I think about it.
You know how news outlets will publish irrelevant, "controversial" junk stories on social media purely because it drives engagement (and subsequently, ad revenue), with all the negative reactions and arguing that goes on in the comments? Well, would it surprise anyone if it came out that IU somehow benefits financially from all the negative social media engagement? Every loss guarantees hundreds (if not thousands) of angry comments calling for Archie's job, and then hundreds of responses calling for cooler heads to prevail, and back and forth...could it be that there's some new media/social media "genius" in the administration pushing for this? We all know the administration doesn't prioritize basketball, and once I got to thinking about this, I just couldn't shake it.
This is obviously a preposterous idea, and this post is mostly a facetious flight of fancy, but would ANYTHING truly be surprising at this point?

Would anything be surprising in social media? Not at all. It’s a junk place full of junk people and other junk.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If we stopped turning it over our defense would be decent.  

And if our defense was decent we would be be either competing in these games or actually winning them.

14 turnovers for 25 points against Maryland. 25 freaking points! You could probably find another 15 or so from terrible shots. We’re not as bad as we have played in stretches. The problem is our window for beating above average teams is very small.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I'd rather be a dysfunctional Hoosier than the alternative. Reminds me of when I was waiting tables and this guy said "Is that IU on your hat?" I said yes, and he then looked at his little kid and said "uh oh it's the enemy. You'd look good in blue, you know." I laughed and said, "not in this life." He left me an okay tip, though.

21 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Anybody watching Archie tonight on his show?

I found the interview with Justin very interesting. He was named IU's male athletic scholar of the month. Guess he's close to making the Dean's List. He was wearing glasses -- looked very studious. 

I'm paraphrasing here ... 

Fisch: Do you like to play video games? Justin: No. That's not my thing. Pretty much everybody except Al and I play 'em. 
Fisch: What do you like to do? Justin: Nothing. We're pretty busy during the week, so I just like to take a step back. 
Fisch: Do you have a girfriend yet? Justin: Nah. Not yet. 

Seems like a really quiet and introspective kid. Maybe even a bit shy ... And seems to be very serious about his education. 

I'm frustrated too, but this thread needs to wait until the end of the season to be started.  There's still plenty of time left to get things going in the right direction, and they're not honestly not terrible right now anyway.

We should take care of NW and have a puncher's chance against Ohio State and suddenly things are looking up again.

20 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I found the interview with Justin very interesting. He was named IU's male athletic scholar of the month. Guess he's close to making the Dean's List. He was wearing glasses -- looked very studious. 

I'm paraphrasing here ... 

Fisch: Do you like to play video games? Justin: No. That's not my thing. Pretty much everybody except Al and I play 'em. 
Fisch: What do you like to do? Justin: Nothing. We're pretty busy during the week, so I just like to take a step back. 
Fisch: Do you have a girfriend yet? Justin: Nah. Not yet. 

Seems like a really quiet and introspective kid. Maybe even a bit shy ... And seems to be very serious about his education. 

Justin went to one of the best high schools in IL.  I can guarantee he had some classes as hard or harder in high school than at IU.  The fact that he is a student athlete isn't surprising.   I would love to see him play like he started this year.