Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

Based on performance when reasonably healthy (all players are banged up a little at times).
Remember, the standard cited was Josh freakin Newkirk, who was beaten out for playing time and starts during his senior year by a freshman Devonte Green.
Did you want to compare Rob's performance so far to Yogi at this point? Completely different question.

Agree to disagree. NewKirk was another one I called when the transfer was announced despite the positive spin it received here.

I’m not giving up on Phin. I hope injuries are the reason. But, as of now, he’s just a guy. Just about average in every facet that relates to point guards.

Below Average speed (watch him in transition)
Average ball handling (slightly above in safety, below in his ability to break someone down)
Average shooter from all levels.
Average passer (rarely breaks anyone down to create for others)
Slightly above average defender (was a better defender last year admittedly, maybe injury related)
Above average basketball IQ

He’s an injury riddled sophomore so the jury is still out a little, but his ceiling imo is way more limited than many think based on his skill set.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Based on what? Rankings? Eye test? IU fandom? Hope?

Maybe the concussions cut his potential. Maybe his abdominal/groin or whatever is effecting him.

But my eye test, which is spectacular by the way, says he’s an average player. Statistics support this as well.

So, then I hope it’s injury related.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

They are real and they are spectacular

First of all...no, Terri they weren’t spectacular....

as for the basketball discussion, I concur with those who concur with me: Rob doesn’t seem like a good primary option for this team this year or going forward. I’ve had hopes that the performance last year @Illinois would be close to what we would get week to week from him but that hasn’t proven to be true. Kid can be rock solid at times, but he isn’t a particularly good shooter and he isn’t great at getting his own shot, and he hasn’t shown himself much as a leader from what I can tell. 

Franklin, Leal, Galloway, Lander is where my unrealistic expectations will now reside lol. 

Any point guard will look better with players around him who can spread the floor and make shots.   It's sort of unfair in my opinion to judge a point guard when his team is inconsistent and can't score.  You've all seen his (Rob's) opportunistic dribble penetration and he's good at that.   He's also good in transition; but when you don't GET in transition because some of your teammates jog or you struggle on the defensive glass (like last night), you limit what a point guard can do.

Archie doesn't run an isolation offense, and I have no idea why "creating your own shot" is a big deal.  Anyone see a college offense where emphasis on "creating" has won anything?  Ever?   Rob's also our best (and a pretty good) on ball defender.  I think injuries have hurt him.  No question.   I also understand the frustration with him.  What I do not understand is the disappointment in his production as a shooter or creator because that's never been what he is.  I can think of at least 5 open shots off his passes that were missed last night (same can be said for Green, Durham, Franklin, and about anybody), but when the team shoots 25% from the floor, John Stockton's numbers would be awful.  The fact is, he's shooting 34% from the 3 point line.  Green shooting 30% from there.  Durham 33%.    

I've been on the "give it another year" bandwagon, and I'm staying on it.  I think this team will benefit greatly from "addition by subtraction."

Any point guard will look better with players around him who can spread the floor and make shots.   It's sort of unfair in my opinion to judge a point guard when his team is inconsistent and can't score.  You've all seen his (Rob's) opportunistic dribble penetration and he's good at that.   He's also good in transition; but when you don't GET in transition because some of your teammates jog or you struggle on the defensive glass (like last night), you limit what a point guard can do.
Archie doesn't run an isolation offense, and I have no idea why "creating your own shot" is a big deal.  Anyone see a college offense where emphasis on "creating" has won anything?  Ever?   Rob's also our best (and a pretty good) on ball defender.  I think injuries have hurt him.  No question.   I also understand the frustration with him.  What I do not understand is the disappointment in his production as a shooter or creator because that's never been what he is.  I can think of at least 5 open shots off his passes that were missed last night (same can be said for Green, Durham, Franklin, and about anybody), but when the team shoots 25% from the floor, John Stockton's numbers would be awful.  The fact is, he's shooting 34% from the 3 point line.  Green shooting 30% from there.  Durham 33%.    
I've been on the "give it another year" bandwagon, and I'm staying on it.  I think this team will benefit greatly from "addition by subtraction."

Well let’s see about some of the best players IU has had recently... Yogi could create his own shot. He was pretty good and we were good with him. Troy Williams could. James Blackmon could. Robert Johnson could. Cody Zeller, Victor Oladipo, Jordy Hulls, Verdell Jones, Eric Gordon, DJ White, Jared Jeffries, AJ Guyton, Calbert Chaney, Damon Bailey, Steve Alford, Isaiah Thomas... so yea... creating for yourself and others is a pretty good quality. Rob is like 1/3 the player Yogi was. And that’s what we are getting. Average and a backup.

11 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well let’s see about some of the best players IU has had recently... Yogi could create his own shot. He was pretty good and we were good with him. Troy Williams could. James Blackmon could. Robert Johnson could. Cody Zeller, Victor Oladipo, Jordy Hulls, Verdell Jones, Eric Gordon, DJ White, Jared Jeffries, AJ Guyton, Calbert Chaney, Damon Bailey, Steve Alford, Isaiah Thomas... so yea... creating for yourself and others is a pretty good quality. Rob is like 1/3 the player Yogi was. And that’s what we are getting. Average and a backup.

Oh good grief: IMO you're trashing any credibility you might have had by citing the entirety of this list. Verdell Jones and Troy Williams could create their own shots? Yes, much in the same way that Devonte Green can - with lower than hoped for efficiency.

Jordan Hulls, Robert Johnson, Damon Bailey could create their own shots? Wonderful players at IU, but no, this was certainly not their strength.

Steve Alford had an entire offense designed around others setting screens for him. Alford was a great scorer at IU, but to say that he was an NBA-style 'clear out for him' guy is either disingenuous or evidence that you were not yet watching during the Alford era. 

In fact, in the entire Bob Knight era, there was pretty much zero "creating your own shot." There was a whole lot of screening off-ball and cutting off of those teammate screens for passes.

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

In fact, in the entire Bob Knight era, there was pretty much zero "creating your own shot." There was a whole lot of screening off-ball and cutting off of those teammate screens for passes.

And man it was fun to watch.  

Interesting perception.

Oh good grief: IMO you're trashing any credibility you might have had by citing the entirety of this list. Verdell Jones and Troy Williams could create their own shots? Yes, much in the same way that Devonte Green can - with lower than hoped for efficiency.
Jordan Hulls, Robert Johnson, Damon Bailey could create their own shots? Wonderful players at IU, but no, this was certainly not their strength.
Steve Alford had an entire offense designed around others setting screens for him. Alford was a great scorer at IU, but to say that he was an NBA-style 'clear out for him' guy is either disingenuous or evidence that you were not yet watching during the Alford era. 

Yes, Verdell could in fact create for himself and he had the best mid range pull up of any player at IU since then. Couldn’t hit 3’s but could hit a 17 footer. Hulls could create as well, whether it were for himself or others. And creating isn’t just with the ball, sometimes you have to create things off the ball and Hulls did that a lot. Rob doesn’t create often at all. He does some dribbling.

11 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Not really. It’s like Smith leaves so we will lose our best perimeter defender. If Lander doesn’t come next season then we are down to just Rob as the only ball handler on the team. Archie has yet to prove that anyone can develop under him over a summer. Also likely we play the same terrible offense next season. So even if Lander does come, he will have no room because we still won’t have shooters and he still won’t have driving lanes to get to the basket. It’ll be more of the same.

The best news I've heard all day.......Smith is going to leave?  Can he take the coach and well everyone but Trayce with him?   Zander would get bad advice to reclassify and come to IU next year.  WHat is he going to do, make great passes to his teammates who will miss wide open jumpers by about three Counties?  The lane will be packed and teams will laugh and just dare us to beat them with our 15% outside shooting.  Zander should see if any of the current cast can get a shot this summer or if the Freshman coming in can shoot.  Player development seems to not be a priority for Miller and he has yet to show he is capable of recruiting a player who can score at the College level 

******Lander    lol

The best news I've heard all day.......Smith is going to leave?  Can he take the coach and well everyone but Trayce with him?   Zander would get bad advice to reclassify and come to IU next year.  WHat is he going to do, make great passes to his teammates who will miss wide open jumpers by about three Counties?  The lane will be packed and teams will laugh and just dare us to beat them with our 15% outside shooting.  Zander should see if any of the current cast can get a shot this summer or if the Freshman coming in can shoot.  Player development seems to not be a priority for Miller and he has yet to show he is capable of recruiting a player who can score at the College level 

Who is Zander?