Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

My fear:  we win one of the last four, putting us at 19-12 and 9-11 in conference.  That might still put us in the play in rounds of the conference tournament, though.....if we lose to Purdue Thursday, then tiebreakers are not in our favor.  So at 19-12/9-11 we are probably in the field, but would an upset loss in the play in round move us back out as it would be a loss to either Nebraska or Northwestern?

Personally, I am rooting for us to win first of all but am also rooting for Minnesota/Purdue/Ohio State/Rutgers to lose.  Would prefer that Maryland beats MInnesota but right now they are looking like crap.

23 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

My fear:  we win one of the last four, putting us at 19-12 and 9-11 in conference.  That might still put us in the play in rounds of the conference tournament, though.....if we lose to Purdue Thursday, then tiebreakers are not in our favor.  So at 19-12/9-11 we are probably in the field, but would an upset loss in the play in round move us back out as it would be a loss to either Nebraska or Northwestern?

Personally, I am rooting for us to win first of all but am also rooting for Minnesota/Purdue/Ohio State/Rutgers to lose.  Would prefer that Maryland beats MInnesota but right now they are looking like crap.

I still think we’d be in. The worst thing about your scenario here is that our resume would now include one single bad loss. But with one more win we’d have a combined 9 quad 1 and 2 wins. The resume is still strong enough.

But I totally get where you’re coming from. I’ve also become a “fear and expect the worst” IU fan over time.

I still think we’d be in. The worst thing about your scenario here is that our resume would now include one single bad loss. But with one more win we’d have a combined 9 quad 1 and 2 wins. The resume is still strong enough.
But I totally get where you’re coming from. I’ve also become a “fear and expect the worst” IU fan over time.

Yup 1 more win is all that is needed for IU to lock up a bid. When you put the resume of IU next to anyone on the seed lines 8-10, our resume is nearly better than any others and by a decent amount too. I think at 19 wins, we’re looking at a 10 at worst. Get to 20 wins and could have a shot at an 8 seed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Two wins in the last week have softened a lot of perspectives.

Getting healthy hasn't hurt.   Thompson's improvement, Hunter's simple availability, and Phinisee finally looking like he can move normally have all made a significant difference.  I believe the more recent games are a better indication of who Indiana is; even if I still expect a game or two where this thread blows up.

10 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Yup 1 more win is all that is needed for IU to lock up a bid. When you put the resume of IU next to anyone on the seed lines 8-10, our resume is nearly better than any others and by a decent amount too. I think at 19 wins, we’re looking at a 10 at worst. Get to 20 wins and could have a shot at an 8 seed.

Ultimately I don’t think conference tournaments hurt you but they can help. Case in point right here. Say we do end up 20-11 / 10-10. That would be a combined 10 quad 1 and 2 wins. Lose our first game in the BTT and our seed line probably doesn’t change. Make some noise and win, say, 2 games? Now we are talking 12 quad 1/2 wins and who knows....a 6 seed?

oh geez what am I doing to myself the day before a road game against Purdoo....

I think Archie is ready to flip this roster upside down. Al, Justin, And Brunk are counted on for starter minutes and don’t bring hardly anything to the table. Rob and Jerome aren’t far behind.

I want to like these guys but they constantly remind me they ain’t got no game.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think Archie is ready to flip this roster upside down. Al, Justin, And Brunk are counted on for starter minutes and don’t bring hardly anything to the table. Rob and Jerome aren’t far behind.

I want to like these guys but they constantly remind me they ain’t got no game.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

There's a couple of sayings that come to mind: "you are what your record says you are" and "players make plays".  Last season it was hard to really evaluate players because of the many injuries.  There have been no such constraints this season.  These guys are what they've shown us to be - some role players, some starters with flaws and some simply not up to the task (excluding the freshmen and Hunter to an extent).Archie isn't a coach that will make prime rib out of hamburger.  The path to marked improvement relies on bring in more talented players and whatever development we can get from the younger players.  Guys like Green, Durham, and Smith aren't going to magically provide play that they've never been able to (anywhere close to consistently in Green's case) over the last 3 or 4 years.

There's a couple of sayings that come to mind: "you are what your record says you are" and "players make plays".  Last season it was hard to really evaluate players because of the many injuries.  There have been no such constraints this season.  These guys are what they've shown us to be - some role players, some starters with flaws and some simply not up to the task (excluding the freshmen and Hunter to an extent).Archie isn't a coach that will make prime rib out of hamburger.  The path to marked improvement relies on bring in more talented players and whatever development we can get from the younger players.  Guys like Green, Durham, and Smith aren't going to magically provide play that they've never been able to (anywhere close to consistently in Green's case) over the last 3 or 4 years.

Absolutely. Same with Crean. Although I think Crean is a better motivator.

Once Crean lost his recruiting chops, or never fully gained them, he was done.

Archie will win if he gets the Landers, Mohammeds of the world.

My efforts are once again, in the court of praying for star recruits that can make plays.

Archie can be Sean Miller still.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

21 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Absolutely. Same with Crean. Although I think Crean is a better motivator.

Once Crean lost his recruiting chops, or never fully gained them, he was done.

Archie will win if he gets the Landers, Mohammeds of the world.

My efforts are once again, in the court of praying for star recruits that can make plays.

Archie can be Sean Miller still.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Pretty much.  I'm not going to say CAM absolutely can't win without multiple 5* players, but he's going to have to find players with the right mindset and skillset to compete week in and week out against BT teams - something he hasn't really done with his recruits thus far.

Go on any message board, except maybe Baylor, and everyone is saying the same thing, that today’s college basketball players stink. Today’s kids never learned team basketball or fundamentals. They grew up in the dunk and three ball era, and what do we have as a result — a bunch of chuckers and slashers. 

I still think this team may go on a nice little run though. 

It’s not a talent issue. Regardless of your talent you can try for 40 minutes. So what if we get the talent to compete on the big stage. We won’t win anything if the guys stop playing for 10 minutes. 

Archie has to get these guys trying consistently and doing the right things in given situation.  Regardless of the talent that should be the expectation. 

It’s not a talent issue. Regardless of your talent you can try for 40 minutes. So what if we get the talent to compete on the big stage. We won’t win anything if the guys stop playing for 10 minutes. 

Archie has to get these guys trying consistently and doing the right things in given situation.  Regardless of the talent that should be the expectation. 

They have to try and be put in a position to succeed. If Lander is here next season, what will change? Unless Archie goes to a new offense, there will be zero driving lanes for Lander.

Our juniors and seniors combined for 22 points and 8 turnovers. That's a Huge problem! Ready to move on from this group of four. A change of scenery might be best for both parties. Hate it for DD. 

Sorry, I realize Brunk is a junior.