Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

I did read the article. I didn't miss the point. I disagree that there is a valid comparison between 
Archie Miller and the other two coaches who had demonstrated progress in the first three years that has not been demonstrated at Indiana. In fact, the Indiana program is no better today than it was 3 years ago--some have argued it is worse off.

I did read the article. I didn't miss the point. I disagree that there is a valid comparison between 
Archie Miller and the other two coaches who had demonstrated progress in the first three years that has not been demonstrated at Indiana. In fact, the Indiana program is no better today than it was 3 years ago--some have argued it is worse off.

There was no progress in Jay Wright’s first three years either?

I’m not saying he is going to succeed here, but good lord.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I admittedly didn't watch Villanova in his first few years but I'd like to talk to someone that did. Did they see progress in terms of execution and development at least? We haven't seen any of it here so far.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Idk about progression of player development but his Ken Pom numbers were 52, 57, and 53.

None of those years did he have an offense in the top 50.

Only one year did he have a defense in the top 50, his first year. The other two were mediocre

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think anyone hired as AD would give Archie one more year unless you have a guaranteed home run in the bag.

By giving him one more year you get a free call to see whether he can get it done. If not, no worries he was not your hire. If he does then it takes the risk off having your guy fail.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think anyone hired as AD would give Archie one more year unless you have a guaranteed home run in the bag.

By giving him one more year you get a free call to see whether he can get it done. If not, no worries he was not your hire. If he does then it takes the risk off having your guy fail.

True but kiss 2021 recruits goodbye. Maybe already.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Looks like Pat Shoulders is stepping down.... he, Fred Glass and McRobbie will all be gone soon enough.

https://www.hoosiertimes.com/herald_times_online/news/iu/longtime-iu-trustee-won-t-seek-reelection/article_2920219e-5259-11ea-aea4-cb922775d2ec.html

Time for those of you who like to write letters to your governor, and I know there are a lot of you guys who like to write letters to your governor on the IU message boards, to put together a relentless comprehensive letter writing campaign to your governor and ask/tell/plead/threaten him not to fuqck up this trustee appointment again this time.  Tell him to appoint a trustee who prioritizes the success of the big money sports programs at IU because the identity of the Hoosier State is tied to that brand.  If he is like past Indiana governors making these appointments, he may not know that unless you and everybody you know tell/ask/plead/threaten him repeatedly for months.

6 of the 9 trustees are appointed by the governor, while only 3 are elected by alumni.

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Who was the guy who said if he was elected to the board, he would make sure all money earned by the athletic department stayed in the athletic department? He ran against MaryEllen Bishop last year and got annihilated. Any chance he could run again? 

If he was annihilated in the election, is it possible that maybe every other idea he had for the university was ill-conceived or even terrible?  I am asking btw, not stating that is what happened because idk.

4 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

If he was annihilated in the election, is it possible that maybe every other idea he had for the university was ill-conceived or even terrible?  I am asking btw, not stating that is what happened because idk.

No idea. I felt it had more to do with running against an incumbent, academic elitist who had deep ties to other academic elitists, but I could be way off. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

No idea. I felt it had more to do with running against an incumbent, academic elitist who had deep ties to other academic elitists, but I could be way off. 

I am not sure how Shoulders' replacement would be selected yet, by appointment?  or by election?

1 minute ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

I am not sure how Shoulders' replacement would be selected yet, by appointment?  or by election?

I have very little knowledge of how any of this board stuff works. I just know I'm sick and tired of ivory tower nut-jobs who don't give a rip about sports lording over our once-proud basketball program. 

30 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I have very little knowledge of how any of this board stuff works. I just know I'm sick and tired of ivory tower nut-jobs who don't give a rip about sports lording over our once-proud basketball program. 

you are most definitely not alone.  a lot of IU fans are sick of what has happened to Indiana's sports culture, and want sports success to become a high priority of the university again.  if you are invested in this, conversations need to take place with people connected with decision makers.  county chairmen of the political parties in Indiana are probably the most meaningful accessible people ordinary citizens can contact with concerns of this nature.  the county chairmen of the political parties are most likely going to take the time to listen to ordinary citizens complain about Indiana University trustee appointments in relation to the erosion of the sports culture at IU, and have the connections to spread the word, and do something meaningful to solve the problem.  If you have never met your county chairman, republican or democrat, you can meet them at party headquarters, and most of those guys love talking so much, they will talk with anybody about anything, and usually do what they can to help.  that is probably one of the easiest meaningful things you can do to add your 2 cents to the discussion.  the county chairmen are the guys who recruit candidates to run in local and statewide elections, and they meet regularly with the chairmen in adjacent and statewide counties.  they know everybody, and they talk to everybody.  county chairmen generally speak with the higher elected officials in state government, including the governor, on at least a somewhat regular basis, even if all they say in a single conversation with a governor is "you might want to appoint a trustee who gives a sh(l)t about IU basketball this time."  thoughts like that can often be communicated on such a simple down to earth grass roots level, and free popular thoughts like that can really click sometimes.

8 hours ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

Time for those of you who like to write letters to your governor, and I know there are a lot of you guys who like to write letters to your governor on the IU message boards, to put together a relentless comprehensive letter writing campaign to your governor and ask/tell/plead/threaten him not to fuqck up this trustee appointment again this time.  Tell him to appoint a trustee who prioritizes the success of the big money sports programs at IU because the identity of the Hoosier State is tied to that brand.  If he is like past Indiana governors making these appointments, he may not know that unless you and everybody you know tell/ask/plead/threaten him repeatedly for months.

6 of the 9 trustees are appointed by the governor, while only 3 are elected by alumni.

Pat Shoulders is an elected trustee.

8 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Who was the guy who said if he was elected to the board, he would make sure all money earned by the athletic department stayed in the athletic department? He ran against MaryEllen Bishop last year and got annihilated. Any chance he could run again? 

Quoting @ElectricBoogaloo  

This is one of those things we should vote for if we desire change. One of the candidates, Brian Davidson, is very clear that he supports keeping BIG network revenues in the athletic department. If that matters to you then please vote.