Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

15 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

For recruiting purposes, you don't want your coach at a Power 5 basketball program having less than four years on his contract. 

This is a myth. Weak coaches need long contracts to convince people they'll be around. Strong coaches don't need long contracts because people know they'll be around. 

Just so you know Smith is playing the position he wants the 3, he would like to play the 2 some. This was the compromise the staff made with him this summer as he was unhappy and difficult last season because he had to play the 4. Now after getting what he wants, he's still causing problems on the court, in the locker room.

He could work at the 3 if we had a Watford at the 4.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

44 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

To me the fact we hired Archie signaled we were dead. 

Look at some recent(relative) blue blood hires

UNC - Got a coach who had success at a high level 

Kansas - Got a coach who had success at a high level

Louisville Pitino - Got a coach who had success at a high level 

Louisville Mack - Got a coach who had been successful at multiple places making tourney 9 out of 10 years 

Kentucky - Got a coach who was a success at multiple programs 

Archie doesn’t seem similar to any of those 

A thought experiment: if Dayton lost either of its down-to-the-wire first weekend tournament games the year it went to the elite 8, is he even a candidate when IU is looking?

8 minutes ago, lillurk said:

A thought experiment: if Dayton lost either of its down-to-the-wire first weekend tournament games the year it went to the elite 8, is he even a candidate when IU is looking?

Knowing IU, probably.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

So I could have been a gynecologist after all if I'd just told my banker bosses I was unhappy?

I'm not mocking Chris in any way.  I just don't know what to make of this whole situation.  It's become surreal and comical in a sad way.  The inmates have apparently taken control of the asylum.  For the life of me I can't fathom why Archie didn't tell Glass to  shove it up his lawyer a$$ when told after the fact he couldn't get rid of players.  He'd have found another coaching position and had he gone public with why he immediately quit, Fred and IU (sadly) would be complete laughingstocks.  

They just made the program a laughingstock.

11 hours ago, Chris007 said:

And his roommate isn't much better from what I'm told. Just a failure as a class altogether. As I asked why play them? Only answer I got was the staff feels like they have too. I said do they realize they're going to be looking for a job if they continue. No answer. 

Nothing like punching them in the face.  Maybe they’ll wake up.

5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Just so you know Smith is playing the position he wants the 3, he would like to play the 2 some. This was the compromise the staff made with him this summer as he was unhappy and difficult last season because he had to play the 4. Now after getting what he wants, he's still causing problems on the court, in the locker room.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but you don’t have to look any further than his Dad to see what type of attitude he has. Pops probably plants it in his head every single day that he should be on the wing. I can’t wait for him to be gone. I think we’ll have an extra 2 leave this year besides the seniors at minimum. 

5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I was going to defend JS till I got here.   This is on the coach.  I have no problem if he wants to be the 2.   But he’ll be behind Bieber on the depth chart.  Just like in baseball.  You can play right field or you can be left out.  

26 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but you don’t have to look any further than his Dad to see what type of attitude he has. Pops probably plants it in his head every single day that he should be on the wing. I can’t wait for him to be gone. I think we’ll have an extra 2 leave this year besides the seniors at minimum. 

Problem is do we have anyone teed up as far a recruiting goes?

2 hours ago, lillurk said:

This isn’t much of an experiment. Your question is essentially, if you take away someone’s greatest accomplishments, are they seen as being as accomplished? Remember, Archie’s name came up with nearly every single college hoops opening of any significance before we hired him. If you take away his elite 8 run, and make that a 1st round exit, yeah his name simply wouldn’t have come up in near as many coaching searches. 

So, a similar question, if Brad Stevens loses any of his first weekend down to the wire games both the years he went to the final game, would he still be at the top of everyone’s list? 

4 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

This is a myth. Weak coaches need long contracts to convince people they'll be around. Strong coaches don't need long contracts because people know they'll be around. 

Actually, it's not a myth. Most coaches at top programs will at any given time, have at least four years remaining on their contract -- whether they are a "strong" coach or a "weak" coach. 

8 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I know for sure the part of no transfers wasn't told until after he took the job. Fred held that till after he signed the contract and got to Bloomington. 

Wow. So who’s the “Jerry Jones” at Indiana University? I would resign immediately over this. 

Question that probably will still be no even with the type of season they’re having: if Turgeon wanted to come to IU would you all be alright hiring him?

Solid recruiting, Maryland’s consistently in the tournament and usually second weekend, teams are often in Top 25.

???

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

12 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

Question that probably will still be no even with the type of season they’re having: if Turgeon wanted to come to IU would you all be alright hiring him?

Solid recruiting, Maryland’s consistently in the tournament and usually second weekend, teams are often in Top 25.

???

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

They really, really don't like Turgeon at Maryland....I think they view him there a lot like we viewed Crean -- decent recruiter, doesn't really achieve to the level of talent.  You couldn't be any more wrong about him 'usually getting to the second round of the NCAA tournament' -- he's been at Maryland eight years and he's been past the first weekend once and even then didn't advance beyond the sweet sixteen.  In fact, in the past 19 seasons at Wichita State, Texas A&M, and Maryland, he's only been to the second weekend twice and has missed the NCAA tourney more than he's made it.

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

To me the fact we hired Archie signaled we were dead. 

Look at some recent(relative) blue blood hires

UNC - Got a coach who had success at a high level 

Kansas - Got a coach who had success at a high level

Louisville Pitino - Got a coach who had success at a high level 

Louisville Mack - Got a coach who had been successful at multiple places making tourney 9 out of 10 years 

Kentucky - Got a coach who was a success at multiple programs 

Archie doesn’t seem similar to any of those 

After single team you mentioned had a high level of recent consistent success when they hired their coaches that IU didn't.  IU hasn't been past a sweet sixteen in 15 years when they hired Archie Miller.  That's not a blue blood.

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

After single team you mentioned had a high level of recent consistent success when they hired their coaches that IU didn't.  IU hasn't been past a sweet sixteen in 15 years when they hired Archie Miller.  That's not a blue blood.

My point exactly. People worrying if we are almost dead are wrong. Crean killed us and Archie is kicking the corpse. 

My point exactly. People worrying if we are almost dead are wrong. Crean killed us and Archie is kicking the corpse. 

I wonder if we had gotten rid of Crean in ‘15 what would have happened. Better yet, what if we hired Alford in 08 after Sampson

Probably would have still ended up with Archie if we fired Crean in ‘15, or Shaka and we’d be looking for a replacement this year or last.

Seems like the right thing to do isn’t to keep a coach based on incoming recruits (Zeller, Thomas Bryant) and cut bait when you have a body of work and see the inner workings of the program

Thank god Glass is leaving IU

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app