Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

But to hope we don't win another game?  That's loving IU basketball?  

Everybody was on the tank train in Crean's last year.  And they all loved IU basketball. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

No, not everybody and to make that statement is a gross exaggeration.  I wanted him gone as much as most people but never to the point I would root against one of our teams.

I also have never and will never root against an Indiana team, regardless of who I think should or shouldn't be the coach. Anyone who does can go march with the opportunistic ******** at Crimson Quarry into the land of I Don't Give a ****.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

It feels like we need good Devonte to beat good teams.  Nobody else has that in them on this team.  Then next year we have no Devontes.  I'm worried about next year (and all moving forward) until we can make a change in leadership.  At this point I'm on the tank train.  Good win, I hope we don't see any others.

Yeah; we can’t beat good teams without DeVonte playing well, like when we beat MSU this year and DeVonte had two points and three turnovers. Or when we beat UConn and DeVonte had six points on 2-10 shooting.

Or are you trying to say that we are a far more dangerous team when our current best scorer plays really really well? Cause that’s certainly true.

Yeah; we can’t beat good teams without DeVonte playing well, like when we beat MSU this year and DeVonte had two points and three turnovers. Or when we beat UConn and DeVonte had six points on 2-10 shooting.
Or are you trying to say that we are a far more dangerous team when our current best scorer plays really really well? Cause that’s certainly true.

Yea... you really can’t lump UConn into the group of “good” teams. They are 13-11 and 4-7 in the AAC for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Maybe it was my imagination but I don’t think TJD and Brunk played good many minutes together against Iowa, that’s a good thing

While Green hit his shots, he also didn’t dribble the air out of the ball which was a good thing.

Negatively, our defense was suspect and took a best of performance from deep to out gun them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 hours ago, Josh said:

It feels like we need good Devonte to beat good teams.  Nobody else has that in them on this team.  Then next year we have no Devontes.  I'm worried about next year (and all moving forward) until we can make a change in leadership.  At this point I'm on the tank train.  Good win, I hope we don't see any others.

Screenshot_20200215-001026.jpg

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Negatively, our defense was suspect and took a best of performance from deep to out gun them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Iowa came in averaging 1.11 points per possession -- best in the conference -- and were held to 1.00 points per possession.  

Iowa came in averaging 1.11 points per possession -- best in the conference -- and were held to 1.00 points per possession.  

Never understood why anyone looks at this. We gave up 77 points which is what Iowa is averaging in conference play. They have been winning scoring 77 except for when they play another team that is making every shot they chuck

I thought it was pretty clear watching the Iowa game that while Green going off certainly was a huge aspect, this game was about more than just that. The team played well as a whole. The energy and passion was there. TJD was great, Smith played fantastic defense on Wieskamp. Thompson gave great energy and minutes. 

The team played with much improved pace, and we had 4 different guys hit a 3, along with both Phinisee and Green hitting multiple 3’s. 

I also think Green’s performance was much more than just getting hot. I’m going with eye test here, so not sure what the actual stats hear out, but it felt to me like Phinisee and Green played much more together. It felt like down the stretch last season when Phinisee got healthy and Green thrived playing off the ball with Phinisee. 

Pin the Iowa game, more of Green’s shots were catch/shoot vs, off the dribble. Green looked to get the ball in Phinisee’s hands once he didn’t have a shot, and Green was pounding the ball much, much less. Green also looked almost immediately to get the ball to Phinisee if a fast break wasn’t there. 

I don’t know if this was a purposeful thing, but it felt more like the end of last season to me when those two played so well together. I hope it continues down the stretch. 

I thought it was pretty clear watching the Iowa game that while Green going off certainly was a huge aspect, this game was about more than just that. The team played well as a whole. The energy and passion was there. TJD was great, Smith played fantastic defense on Wieskamp. Thompson gave great energy and minutes. 
The team played with much improved pace, and we had 4 different guys hit a 3, along with both Phinisee and Green hitting multiple 3’s. 
I also think Green’s performance was much more than just getting hot. I’m going with eye test here, so not sure what the actual stats hear out, but it felt to me like Phinisee and Green played much more together. It felt like down the stretch last season when Phinisee got healthy and Green thrived playing off the ball with Phinisee. 
Pin the Iowa game, more of Green’s shots were catch/shoot vs, off the dribble. Green looked to get the ball in Phinisee’s hands once he didn’t have a shot, and Green was pounding the ball much, much less. Green also looked almost immediately to get the ball to Phinisee if a fast break wasn’t there. 
I don’t know if this was a purposeful thing, but it felt more like the end of last season to me when those two played so well together. I hope it continues down the stretch. 

100% regarding Green. He took his shots but they were not coming from him dribbling around for 20 seconds. He moved the ball and got it back for open shots

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Do we win that game if Green doesnt score 27? Felt to me like his stretch of 4 threes was the difference.

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

100% regarding Green. He took his shots but they were not coming from him dribbling around for 20 seconds. He moved the ball and got it back for open shots

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it was a purposeful thing we’ll see going forward. IU has a chance to be a much better and more efficient team if Green is just knocking down open shots in rhythm, as opposed to handling the ball a ton and being a decision maker. 

To me it just felt like, at least in that one game, that Green was really looking to get rid of the ball if he wasn’t open immediately. I like that Devonte for this team. 

7 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Do we win that game if Green doesnt score 27? Felt to me like his stretch of 4 threes was the difference.

Maybe, maybe not. Do win if he hits 2 of those 4? Do we get offensive rebound put backs if some of Green’s 3’s don’t drop? Who knows. 

My larger point is that Green’s shots came differently in this game. For the most part, It wasn’t dribbling for 12 seconds and then jacking up a step back. I don’t expect him to go 7-for-11 from 3 again, but I do hope he plays well if he continues to play off the ball and get his shots in rhythm. 

I expect him to play well if he doesn’t dribble much, looks to get the ball to Phinisee, and moves the ball crisply if he’s not open.