Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

Both of these concepts are true.
However; the billionaires that are well aware that "you gotta spend money to make money" are also well aware that spending money to make money is only an effective concept when the money is spent on a strong concept, and the money will be managed and administrated by high-achieving professionals with foresight and skill.

You also don’t make money from a donation, that’s why it’s called a donation and not an investment. Agree with you, we’ve not really done much over the last couple decades to prove we can use an enormous donation effectively. Understand they can have the conversation I will donate for a buyout if you get one of “X” coaches, but that’s why I mentioned as long as Archie shows any kind of improvement here on out and in to next year, you would be better off keeping him while testing the waters until you can guarantee we can sign who we want.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

16 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I like Bozich's content. But good lord, nothing real is ever actually said about the state on Indiana basketball on that site. He controls a lot of peoples opinions with what he puts out and he could easily sway a large section of the fanbase by keeping it real. 

No one ever goes to ITH for anything thought provoking.  It is the same boring rinse repeat content.  If they didn't have a community of people commenting, the site quite simply would not exist.

5 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

You also don’t make money from a donation, that’s why it’s called a donation and not an investment. Agree with you, we’ve not really done much over the last couple decades to prove we can use an enormous donation effectively. Understand they can have the conversation I will donate for a buyout if you get one of “X” coaches, but that’s why I mentioned as long as Archie shows any kind of improvement here on out and in to next year, you would be better off keeping him while testing the waters until you can guarantee we can sign who we want.

It would be an investment for the university to spend money.  I remember Gonzaga announcing that losing in the title game to UNC brought them a windfall of $700 million.

I understand that a donor wouldn't get that money.  How legal is it for somebody like Mark Cuban to loan the university $100 million with a small interest rate?

Also, I found it interesting that Cuban was sitting next to Fred Glass at the game Saturday.  I'm sure financials were discussed

2 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy_72 said:

No one ever goes to ITH for anything thought provoking.  It is the same boring rinse repeat content.  If they didn't have a community of people commenting, the site quite simply would not exist.

I agree. Honestly, I really enjoyed some of the Michigan writers (umhoops) content that bozich repackaged or referenced in his own articles. Guy typically had some good analysis. 

13 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Let's not set the bar this low.  Right now the team not quitting as easily would be improvement, but not one that should save his job.

8 minutes ago, Josh said:

It would be an investment for the university to spend money.  I remember Gonzaga announcing that losing in the title game to UNC brought them a windfall of $700 million.

I understand that a donor wouldn't get that money.  How legal is it for somebody like Mark Cuban to loan the university $100 million with a small interest rate?

Also, I found it interesting that Cuban was sitting next to Fred Glass at the game Saturday.  I'm sure financials were discussed

I believe Cuban announced a few years ago he's not donating any more money to IU. He was there strictly for Coach Knight. It was also nice of him to buy all the drinks in Kilroy's sports bar for everyone too. 

Stevens didn't even let IU offer a number before he said no thanks. Donovan was OK at 9 but made the pool of money for his assistants so high that he knew IU didn't have that kind of money.
I've also been saying that the Athletic department doesn't have the money because they are borrowing all over campus. Now I know like most say they can just call a donor and ask for the money. But most donors have given a lot over the last 10 years. Also, you buy out Archie for 12 and then pony up 9 a year to the new coach. That is a lot of money. 

This again is a selective way to look at it. You are referencing IU approaching Stevens when he is at the Celtics making great money and winning. There was a long period of time before he went there that he would have jumped at the chance to come to IU. We didn’t move on him when the timing was right for Stevens and he moved on.

You don’t wait on Archie or Crean or Davis to dictate timing you move when the timing is right for the candidate you want. We wait and wait and wait until our current coach is 100% dead in the water and then see what we can get and that is limiting. Could have grabbed Pitino, Self, Stevens amongst others if we dictated timing

You are also corroborating what many argued in the fire Fred glass thread, that despite athletic budgets growing under glass, we aren’t in great shape and could always use more revenue and donations. Many just kept showing that he had increased our budget but almost every school in America did that in his tenure.

26 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I believe Cuban announced a few years ago he's not donating any more money to IU. He was there strictly for Coach Knight. It was also nice of him to buy all the drinks in Kilroy's sports bar for everyone too. 

A lot can happen in a few years.  Glass needs to ask again.  In fact, I'm sure he did since he was sitting beside him.

Even if he refuses, you ask other donors.  You don't just quit trying.  That certainly isn't working for our basketball team.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

A lot can happen in a few years.  Glass needs to ask again.  In fact, I'm sure he did since he was sitting beside him.

Even if he refuses, you ask other donors.  You don't just quit trying.  That certainly isn't working for our basketball team.

Maybe he did. It was my understanding that he asked him back because they are close friends. Also my understanding that Fred is just chilling till May. Going to take in more baseball and softball games this spring. 

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

I guess it depends what we are talking about in regards to donations. He gave $5 million for the sports media technology center in 2015 and funded the 3-D replay that IU uses. 

Don’t forget that “$12million buyout” =/= “$12million check up front”. That seems to get lost in these discussions, regardless of which side you’re on. That’s not how it works and a buyout will almost never be paid out as the advertised amount in full anyways. 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Maybe he did. It was my understanding that he asked him back because they are close friends. Also my understanding that Fred is just chilling till May. Going to take in more baseball and softball games this spring. 

Just chilling until May?  I find that incredibly hard to believe.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Just chilling until May?  I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Running the day to day stuff in the AD. Taking a trip or two with the baseball and softball team to someplace warm. Hopefully showing the new AD around and introducing him to coaches, alumni, professors, people like that in April before heading out in May. Not really hard to believe. 

9 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Don’t forget that “$12million buyout” =/= “$12million check up front”. That seems to get lost in these discussions, regardless of which side you’re on. That’s not how it works and a buyout will almost never be paid out as the advertised amount in full anyways. 

Right. It is my understanding that would be spread out over time, and offset by other coaching income, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Running the day to day stuff in the AD. Taking a trip or two with the baseball and softball team to someplace warm. Hopefully showing the new AD around and introducing him to coaches, alumni, professors, people like that in April before heading out in May. Not really hard to believe. 

He needs to continue fundraising as well, which I'm sure he is.  "Just chilling until May" is certainly not what he's doing

12 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Correct, but if I'm not mistaken you still owe him 3 million next year, plus the 9 that people want to pay the next coach to get them up to Cal or Coach K level you are still looking at 12 million a year for the next few years. Assuming Archie doesn't get another job. 

14 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Are we still paying Crean?

In 2018, open salaries is showing we paid Crean $202k. Paid him $2,693,438 in 2017.

Don't have 2019 data up yet, cannot assume it will be much, as I think his Georgia contact almost entirely wiped out any remaining buyout dollars.