Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

On 1/16/2020 at 3:35 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

A winning basketball program is my number 1. What is winning to me? A perennial top 25 type team. Top 10 type team every second or third year. Should make the dance almost every year. (17/20 seasons or so). Bad years should be 8 seeds. Good years should be 1 and 2 seeds.

Basically the way Crean had us rolling with Zeller. Those are the type of years that we should expect. Not necessarily being number 1.

Great recruiting. Average top 10 to 15 classes.

Play hard on offense and defense. Play smart. Look like the more prepared team in general.

Shots going in makes a team “look good” vs relying on FTs and fouls to win games. Archie’s Indiana teams have been historically the worst shooting teams in Indiana history.

Thanks for sharing.  Appreciate it.  I would say every college basketball fan, including myself, wants their team to accomplish that type of consistency.  There's what 5 to 10 schools out of what 350 plus schools that are where you want our beloved Hoosiers to be.  So I guess there's room for IU to get on that train.  Getting on that train though takes special type of people (from top to bottom) to be leading the way. 

My only disagreement with you is the how part aka x's and o's.  For me at least, I don't think it really matters on how our Hoosiers accomplishment that lofty task.  Just so long as they aren't in the news about FBI investigations and prostitution parties, the x's and o's part of it don't really matter to me.

Thanks for sharing.  Appreciate it.  I would say every college basketball fan, including myself, wants their team to accomplish that type of consistency.  There's what 5 to 10 schools out of what 350 plus schools that are where you want our beloved Hoosiers to be.  So I guess there's room for IU to get on that train.  Getting on that train though takes special type of people (from top to bottom) to be leading the way. 
My only disagreement with you is the how part aka x's and o's.  For me at least, I don't think it really matters on how our Hoosiers accomplishment that lofty task.  Just so long as they aren't in the news about FBI investigations and prostitution parties, the x's and o's part of it don't really matter to me.
We were on that train 30 years ago getting back on is the goal!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

First off, ole "Bennie" can suck on my big 7".  He was the creator of this problem we have now.  I remember it well.

That being said, seems to me we are 14-4 and in the top half of the conference standings in what appears to be the toughest league in the nation.  

Geez, I have seen winning more than most of you.  This ground swell to fire Arch is total BS.  

1 hour ago, Rico said:

First off, ole "Bennie" can suck on my big 7".  He was the creator of this problem we have now.  I remember it well.

That being said, seems to me we are 14-4 and in the top half of the conference standings in what appears to be the toughest league in the nation.  

Geez, I have seen winning more than most of you.  This ground swell to fire Arch is total BS.  

Who is Bennie?

On 1/17/2020 at 8:44 PM, MikeRoberts said:

Nobody on the team is injured, that’s wildly fortunate. When your 11th man is the only one on the injury report this far into a season and that injury is nothing serious, that’s pretty darn good.

That’s been the case all year, with 10-11 out of 11 players physically cleared to play each game this season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

"Not injured" and "healthy" are two different things.    Hunter, for example is only now showing himself, and Phinisee obviously hasn't BEEN himself in a long time.  When both are playing at 90% instead of 70%, there's a huge difference in their games.   That's what I meant.

48 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Who else could IU of hired at the time?

Good question...you always wonder would IU of been better off accepting the mutiny, letting players leave and bringing in a new staff vs. hiring Davis. He did get us a final 4 run I guess. 

Good question...you always wonder would IU of been better off accepting the mutiny, letting players leave and bringing in a new staff vs. hiring Davis. He did get us a final 4 run I guess. 

I wonder about that too. That was the final 4 when I was a student that really made me an IUBB addict.

The big question is who the administration would have hired? Could have gone any number of ways.

I can obviously say I would have passed that finals run for a consistently good program since then.

5 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

I wonder if the players really would have bailed had Treloar or Davis not coached them that season? IMO, here's what should've happened: IU lets Davis coach that season with the interim tag. Then afterward, say "Thanks, Mike. You got us through a tough season and we appreciate that. But we're going to go in a different direction." ... At some point when he worked for Knight, Davis interviewed for the Delaware job, but didn't get it. So he's not good enough for the Blue Hens, but we're gonna give him the keys to one of the most storied programs in the country? That shouldn't have happened.  ... After that one season with Davis as interim, you then have time to sit back and do a thorough search and find the right person (though knowing the IU administration, the would've botched it up!) -- and since the season was mildly successful, Davis is now in a position to get a decent mid-major job. It's a win-win, instead of a big gamble. ... Would we have gotten to the title game the next season? Maybe, maybe not. But the Davis years after that were pretty lean -- showing that he just wasn't ready for a gig like that. ... Unfortunately, the IU brass didn't learn from that situation years later when Hepp passed and Bill Lynch was interim football coach for a season. After that one year, you thank Lynch and send him on his way ... From all accounts, Lynch and Davis are fine, upstanding men -- but they were in way over their heads coaching programs at a Power 5 school.  

13 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

This is the hardest part of being an IU basketball fan. We always have to pay a price for any brush with success. The Final 4 run was glorious, but it got us 4 more years of Davis and dismal, boring failure. We get a Final 4 caliber team with Sampson, then have to blow it up because he couldn't put his phone away and that resulted in three godawful seasons of more failure to historic proportions. We finally pull ourselves out of that smoldering crater and get a couple fun seasons, then came crashing down when everyone left. Instead of firing Crean in 2015, we keep him around, enjoy a Big Ten title (which is still one of my favorite teams) and some other epic wins, then the wheels inevitably come off yet again. 

If Archie Miller ever gets us winning at a high level, I fully expect the FBI probe to somehow resurrect and implicate him, then the adventure begins again. The life of a 21st century IU basketball fan. 

Long run.... yes, if we would have made a good hire.

Davis was the guy that set the program into a long downward spiral. Well, I guess Knight was if we are being honest but it was Davis that lost the trust of High school coaches, AAU coaches and players and started the trend of not making the tourney becoming the norm.

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

This is the hardest part of being an IU basketball fan. We always have to pay a price for any brush with success. The Final 4 run was glorious, but it got us 4 more years of Davis and dismal, boring failure. We get a Final 4 caliber team with Sampson, then have to blow it up because he couldn't put his phone away and that resulted in three godawful seasons of more failure to historic proportions. We finally pull ourselves out of that smoldering crater and get a couple fun seasons, then came crashing down when everyone left. Instead of firing Crean in 2015, we keep him around, enjoy a Big Ten title (which is still one of my favorite teams) and some other epic wins, then the wheels inevitably come off yet again. 

If Archie Miller ever gets us winning at a high level, I fully expect the FBI probe to somehow resurrect and implicate him, then the adventure begins again. The life of a 21st century IU basketball fan. 

Moral of the story in bold:  Don't ever do the NCAAs job for them.

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Sampson had things going in the right direction pretty quickly from a talent and winning perspective after the Davis debacle. Why I think the right coach can have success pretty quickly here.

Sampson also had a whole lot more to work with (3 NBA players and another kid who was a Parade All American.  Miller did not have that his first season) and wasn't dealing with a roster full of players trained and recruited to play a completely different system.  I don't think it's as simple as saying "x Coach" should or could have success quickly.   Depends on the coach, the roster, the leadership, health, etc.    It's a complex formula in Indiana's case, and I still say it's headed in a good direction and should stay there.  

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Let’s not ignore the fact that about 8 players on that team had a Kent Dorfman level GPA.