Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

16 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Hard to say. Offense is clunky in general. Maybe hitting shots would open things up. Probably it would. Rarely see back cuts. It’s just a bunch of pick and rolls with some ball reversals. Throw in a few post feeds here and there. That’s Archies offense. What hurts as much as not having shooters is that our PGs aren’t great playmakers. None of them, this includes Rob.

Who on our team can break someone down off the dribble? Hmm also no one.

That’s our roster Archie has created.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

He’s only had 33 months to get his players. We are supposed to be blaming Crean for at least another 3 months. 

So we have 7 more home games. The students will be there for the rest of them, so that helps home court advantage. We win those 7 games and there are our 20 wins. Will it happen? Who knows. I'm trying to hold off my judgment on Archie until after this season is over. 
No way in hell. We have to win a couple road games. Saturday would be nice. We lost to Arkansas a good team but not msu Maryland ir even a beaten down rival purdue team imo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Question: How different would this team be if we had one or two shooters on the team? It’s a simple fix at least (at least so I thought).  If he actually brought them in and we keep Davis, would that be a great team? If no, perhaps we do need to make a change.  

I believe it would put us in that conversation. Thing is I think I’m on the opposite side of the fence from Joe. A duo of 40% 3pt shooters would have a dramatic effect on the IU offense. Miller’s offense looks like it does because of that lack. Dig this, I’ve read through this entire thing, the game threads, all of them. One thing I keep seeing, from everyone, is “It’s so disturbing, we are getting plenty of wide open looks, we just aren’t knocking them down”. Right. We are. Why? It’s not the offense generating wide open looks from 3....it’s the opposing defensive game plan. They want this team to shoot that shot, their all but begging you to do so. It’s working. Clog the lane, double the post immediately, no matter who touches it. Give them a clean passing lane to the outside. Indiana, although having near unlimited opportunities for wide open looks from distance, actually ranks last in the league in 3 pt attempts. That stat right there should tell you that the philosophy of getting inside and getting to the line is the only viable option. I’ll put this to you guys, if that stat had us near the top in 3point attempts, we’d have already played ourselves out of the tournament. 16 turnovers in the stat column but in reality it’s 30 because the team badly missed 17 attempts at 3. Coach Miller did not assemble a roster capable of winning consistently in this league, and I’m not certain he can. for that I fault him and nominate him for replacement but I do think his offensive approach is the only thing he has available and the only thing that will get this team enough wins to get in to the dance. I just don’t understand how people could say that the addition of a couple shooters wouldn’t change this offense 180. I think it’s a team on the verge some addition and subtraction needed but get even 1-2 guys on this years roster to start hitting on 35-37% I think you’ll not only see a different offense, but a dangerous team as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I believe it would put us in that conversation. Thing is I think I’m on the opposite side of the fence from Joe. A duo of 40% 3pt shooters would have a dramatic effect on the IU offense. Miller’s offense looks like it does because of that lack. Dig this, I’ve read through this entire thing, the game threads, all of them. One thing I keep seeing, from everyone, is “It’s so disturbing, we are getting plenty of wide open looks, we just aren’t knocking them down”. Right. We are. Why? It’s not the offense generating wide open looks from 3....it’s the opposing defensive game plan. They want this team to shoot that shot, their all but begging you to do so. It’s working. Clog the lane, double the post immediately, no matter who touches it. Give them a clean passing lane to the outside. Indiana, although having near unlimited opportunities for wide open looks from distance, actually ranks last in the league in 3 pt attempts. That stat right there should tell you that the philosophy of getting inside and getting to the line is the only viable option. I’ll put this to you guys, if that stat had us near the top in 3point attempts, we’d have already played ourselves out of the tournament. 16 turnovers in the stat column but in reality it’s 30 because the team badly missed 17 attempts at 3. Coach Miller did not assemble a roster capable of winning consistently in this league, and I’m not certain he can. for that I fault him and nominate him for replacement but I do think his offensive approach is the only thing he has available and the only thing that will get this team enough wins to get in to the dance. I just don’t understand how people could say that the addition of a couple shooters wouldn’t change this offense 180. I think it’s a team on the verge some addition and subtraction needed but get even 1-2 guys on this years roster to start hitting on 35-37% I think you’ll not only see a different offense, but a dangerous team as well.

So... if he gets two shooters, he can stay?

So... if he gets two shooters, he can stay?

Stay, Go I don’t really care at this point. I know two things. 1. There is a specific, known, blueprint on how to score on the Indiana PAC line defense. 2. There is a specific, known, blueprint on how to stop the Indiana offense. One of those is obliterated with 2 dude who can shoot.

Edit: What it takes to stay is winning. Consistently.

I’d let Donald Duck stay if he got me 15 conference wins a year.

6 hours ago, VO5 said:

I’ve wanted so bad to like Archie and for him to be the guy, but there are just too many red flags that refuse to go away. I also thought it was really telling reading that article (can’t remember when it was released, maybe someone can find it) asking opinions of coaches in the conference anonymously, and Archie was mentioned as one of 2-3 coaches that were easiest to gameplan against/that other coaches wanted to stay at their schools. 

And the idiot who hired him won’t be around to take the blame and face accountability.

And the idiot who hired him won’t be around to take the blame and face accountability.

Good Lord man, he’s leaving. Done. Gone real soon. Do you need to set his house on fire as your appropriate send off? Get over it, Grumpman.

Stay, Go I don’t really care at this point. I know two things. 1. There is a specific, known, blueprint on how to score on the Indiana PAC line defense. 2. There is a specific, known, blueprint on how to stop the Indiana offense. One of those is obliterated with 2 dude who can shoot. 
Edit: What it takes to stay is winning. Consistently.
 I’d let Donald Duck stay if he got me 15 conference wins a year.

Oh ok. Because it sounded like the solution was real easy at first.

4 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

How dare I be negative in the Unbridled Negativity Thread.

There’s a difference between being negative and being vindictive. The man made some bad decisions related to sports, but it has no barring from u living a normal life. Have some perspective please. 

How dare I be negative in the Unbridled Negativity Thread.

Can we make an ‘Overly Obsessive About All Things Administration Thread’? Or how about ‘OMGGGGGG ADMINISTRATIONNNNN!!!!’ thread? ‘Things That Trigger Gradman: Administration’ thread?

Edit: Sorry. I forgot drop ceilings.

19 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

There’s a difference between being negative and being vindictive. The man made some bad decisions related to sports, but it has no barring from u living a normal life. Have some perspective please. 

I am from Bloomington and started going to IU games when I was eight years old. IU basketball means a lot to me and its lack of success hurts so I do get angry at the many people responsible for its demise.

I understand wanting our coach and AD gone, but even in the OSU thread, we saw Archie called everything from liar to an idiot.SMH

And Gradman your hatred for Glass is an embarrassment. One program under his watch is performing below expectations. And that hire looked at favorably nationally.

I will never understand why this board panders to certain people.......

Truth?  Indiana was 4-36 last night on shots that weren't layups.   Archie can do nothing about that.   Defensive effort and execution was more than good enough to win.  59 points on the road's a good showing by any measure.  4-36.  And many were open looks.

That's not all on Archie.  At all.