Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

9 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Well, that would be a novel idea. I feel like we’re back to the Crean days saying “if he can’t coach defense then bring in an assistant that can”

Now we’re saying the same thing all over again, just about offense this time

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Back in the Bulls heyday that's exactly what they did.  Phil Jackson was good at managing players' egos and such.  Tex Winter had a triple PhD in the triangle offense. 

14 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Whatever.  Cheerleaders, and all the "IU is boring " BS has nothing to do with winning basketball games. It's a sideshow.

How old are you? Because with all due respect you sound very out of touch with today's landscape. Out of state high school recruits today don't care about IU. If a 5 star recruit isn't from Indiana, our chances of landing them are slim to none. In the past 15 years IU has only landed two non-Indiana McDonald's all Americans. And with the way our team continues to struggle despite landing the best players in the state, it's clear that only recruiting Indiana players isn't the answer. If you can't see how this is connected with the team's struggles then I don't know what to tell ya. 

28 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Well, that would be a novel idea. I feel like we’re back to the Crean days saying “if he can’t coach defense then bring in an assistant that can”

Now we’re saying the same thing all over again, just about offense this time

Sadly, we're not exactly impressive on defense either.  According to NCAA.com, 145 in scoring defense and 143 in 3P defense.

EDIT:  Oh, and 99 in defensive efficiency.  We suck on both ends of the court.

36 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Whatever.  Cheerleaders, and all the "IU is boring " BS has nothing to do with winning basketball games. It's a sideshow.

Nationally speaking, Indiana has a reputation of being about 20 years behind the rest of the world, and it has nothing to do with basketball. Does anyone remember TeamworkOrange from the old Illiniboards? Dude hated IU with a passion, was off his rocker and probably shot heroin when he wasn't posting, but he frequently talked about this; he always said every time he went back to Indiana to visit family, he felt like he was visiting the twilight zone. Never mentioned basketball in any of these posts, just that Indiana people couldn't let go of the past and were always way behind everyone else. I think this goes hand in hand with our basketball program and how it's been managed. We're so hellbent on "doing things the right way" and staying true to our past that we've let dozens of basketball programs blow right by us in the last two decades. 

Sadly, we're not exactly impressive on defense either.  According to NCAA.com, 145 in scoring defense and 143 in 3P defense.
EDIT:  Oh, and 99 in defensive efficiency.  We suck on both ends of the court.

Then he needs to bring in an offensive minded coach and a defensive minded coach and a in-game manager and a recruiter

8 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Then he needs to bring in an offensive minded coach and a defensive minded coach and a in-game manager and a recruiter

Miller is supposed to be a defensive coach and he said his defense takes 3 years to fully implement.  Here we are in year 3 and his defense sucks.

30 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

How old are you? Because with all due respect you sound very out of touch with today's landscape. Out of state high school recruits today don't care about IU. If a 5 star recruit isn't from Indiana, our chances of landing them are slim to none. In the past 15 years IU has only landed two non-Indiana McDonald's all Americans. And with the way our team continues to struggle despite landing the best players in the state, it's clear that only recruiting Indiana players isn't the answer. If you can't see how this is connected with the team's struggles then I don't know what to tell ya. 

Sorry dude, but you're the one out of touch.  If you think bringing IU into "today's landscape" (whatever that means) will bring in the 5* recruits, then good luck with that.  What brings in 5* recruits is winning.  It starts with coaching.  

Unlike Archie, Coach K or Cal doesn't have to tell a recruit how good their chances of making the tournament will be.  They simply say -- "we are guaranteed a spot in the tourney, and within your time here it is highly likely we'll get sweet 16/elite 8.  With that, you can compete for a national title."    

Nationally speaking, Indiana has a reputation of being about 20 years behind the rest of the world, and it has nothing to do with basketball. Does anyone remember TeamworkOrange from the old Illiniboards? Dude hated IU with a passion, was off his rocker and probably shot heroin when he wasn't posting, but he frequently talked about this; he always said every time he went back to Indiana to visit family, he felt like he was visiting the twilight zone. Never mentioned basketball in any of these posts, just that Indiana people couldn't let go of the past and were always way behind everyone else. I think this goes hand in hand with our basketball program and how it's been managed. We're so hellbent on "doing things the right way" and staying true to our past that we've let dozens of basketball programs blow right by us in the last two decades. 

Can you give examples? I travel around a lot and have never heard this nor felt it. Friends who live near mountains, oceans, lakes or in warm climates have asked why we live in the flat lands but I have never heard anything about living in the past.

40 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is spot on. 

Miller is supposed to be a defensive coach and he said his defense takes 3 years to fully implement.  Here we are in year 3 and his defense sucks.

Did he really say that? I’ve heard people say that but don’t recall him saying that.

If he did say that we should have backed out/cut bait with him right then and there.

Basketball is a universal language, can put players together from all over the world and they can gel quickly.

No scheme should take a coach 3 years to implement. Then only the seniors on the team really know how to play within it, that’s ridiculous

20 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Yeah, and Kentucky is the center of the modern world.  I think you can still marry your cousin down there.  

If we really are being handcuffed by our administration, then it won’t matter who we bring in here. They won’t be able to recruit the talent needed to match our tremendous expectations and compete in the B1G, a perennial top 2 league in the nation.

Is this really our problem? If so, anyone have actual proof? This isn’t me trying to call you out as I also think this is part of the problem. But at the same time, why is football starting to show results? I know I’m kinda talking out the both sides of my mouth here

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Did he really say that? I’ve heard people say that but don’t recall him saying that.

If he did say that we should have backed out/cut bait with him right then and there.

Basketball is a universal language, can put players together from all over the world and they can gel quickly.

No scheme should take a coach 3 years to implement. Then only the seniors on the team really know how to play within it, that’s ridiculous

I think he did some time ago.  But he also just said something to the effect that our guards don't have to score to play well.   That's how you end up with a 20 point first half.  

He did say that. I remember when he said it but could not find an article to link for you. I think it was in one of the interviews he gave right after his hire.

Can we please start a bring Bruce Pearl to IU thread. The more I thought about this over the weekend the more I would love nothing more than to put all the cards on the table and go out and get this guy. I do believe it would be realistic unlike some of the other options out there. 

The guy can recruit, he can coach, he can win, he has charisma... sounds perfect to me

16 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I believe he did once, because I remember thinking a scheme shouldn't take that long.  Can't find anything to back it up right now, but I seem to recall that.

He did say that. I remember when he said it but could not find an article to link for you. I think it was in one of the interviews he gave right after his hire.

I certainly remember complaining about it, then arguing about it. It’s ridiculous. I honestly don’t know if those were his exact words but it seems preposterous.

Might have been his way of saying, give me time to get my guys and coach em up.

24 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I certainly remember complaining about it, then arguing about it. It’s ridiculous. I honestly don’t know if those were his exact words but it seems preposterous.

Might have been his way of saying, give me time to get my guys and coach em up.

Essentially that. His style of players who have been in the system for a year or two.