Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Negativity Thread

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

Facilities can be part of it but Archie has many of his recruits here now. Guys he went after and got.

Someone mentioned that the roster was actually in better shape when he got here than it is now. This is an interesting point. We keep hearing about how the cupboard was bare but Archie inherited Morgan who had 2 all big seasons and his first year he had 2 senior guards each having started a ton of games. That is not a bare cupboard.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Went 9-9 with Creans players in the big ten. Granted he had a shooter here and there 

Here’s my thing about it, IU doesn’t seem committed to winning, the players don’t, the coach doesn’t... so why should I care? Why should I watch another game? Why should any young fan continue being a fan?

Went 9-9 with Creans players in the big ten. Granted he had a shooter here and there 
B1G was a little different that year then the last 2 years. I think only 4 teams got in the tournament that year. He might of won 9 B1G games that year but 7 were against the bottom 4 teams.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

B1G was a little different that year then the last 2 years. I think only 4 teams got in the tournament that year. He might of won 9 B1G games that year but 7 were against the bottom 4 teams.

Not really helping the case there. He needed the conference to be historically bad and feasted on the worst of the worst. 

Not really helping the case there. He needed the conference to be historically bad and feasted on the worst of the worst. 

Not tying to help the case just pointing out where the 9 wins came from. I’ll let the experts here make the case for who should or shouldn’t be coach

My point on this was that was a pretty good roster. I remember making that point during the discussion about whether to keep or fire Crean and when brought up again by another poster i remembered. We had a ton of experience and then Morgan had 2 breakout seasons. Millers initial cupboard was in great shape.

6 hours ago, monskisprodigy said:

Listen, I'm not saying Glass and Mcrobbie haven't hindered the program...but most people complaining have serious issues with Archie's coaching, inability to build a roster, etc. Glass and Mcrobbie aren't coaching, recruiting and developing the players. That is solely on Archie.

I agree. Crean of all people had the same administration, worse facilities, only inherited Kyle Tabor and Brett Finklemeier (think about that) and had us in the sweet 16 in year 4. Raise your hand if you think we are headed towards the sweet 16 next year.

So my understanding from a national perspective:
Here are the Pro’s:
-Facilities are now on par with the average college program
-talented in state recruits
-rich history (5 championships)
-large fan base
-unique home court advantage

Cons:
-lack of recent success
-lack of established culture of winning
-poor administration and compliance dept
-inability to operate in grey areas
-sometimes too traditional and high school kids don’t care about being super conservative and traditional

What am I missing?
And which of these is the reason Archie is failing here?

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I think a big part of it is because he limits his recruiting.  His inside out philosophy may win points with some fans, but it hampers recruiting.

Some people were excited to get Dsmezi Anderson because he was an Indiana kid who "gets it".  Somebody who was really excited to represent his state across his chest.

That's a feel good Hallmark story, but it means nothing except he saddled himself with Damezi Anderson instead of searching a larger more national base.

I don't  care if a recruit is from Indiana or Uranus.  

He has not limited himself to Indiana. In the last two classes he offered 13 out of state PG/combo guards and landed 0. He tried but went 0-13.

1 minute ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

So my understanding from a national perspective:
Here are the Pro’s:
-Facilities are now on par with the average college program
-talented in state recruits
-rich history (5 championships)
-large fan base
-unique home court advantage

Cons:
-lack of recent success
-lack of established culture of winning
-poor administration and compliance dept
-inability to operate in grey areas
-sometimes too traditional and high school kids don’t care about being super conservative and traditional

What am I missing?
And which of these is the reason Archie is failing here?

His inability to develop players means he needs to recruit like his Brother or Cal. He is not allowed. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I think a big part of it is because he limits his recruiting.  His inside out philosophy may win points with some fans, but it hampers recruiting.

Some people were excited to get Dsmezi Anderson because he was an Indiana kid who "gets it".  Somebody who was really excited to represent his state across his chest.

That's a feel good Hallmark story, but it means nothing except he saddled himself with Damezi Anderson instead of searching a larger more national base.

I don't  care if a recruit is from Indiana or Uranus.  

He’s recruited plenty of guys from out of state just hasn’t landed them.  The inside out approach is the least of my worries after the $hitshows this season

A question to consider is this, if UNC, Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas all became open, which coaches would they target? And of those coaches, who would they likely get? For the purposes of this exercise, Tony Bennett and Jay Wright are not acceptable answers. 

A question to consider is this, if UNC, Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas all became open, which coaches would they target? And of those coaches, who would they likely get? For the purposes of this exercise, Tony Bennett and Jay Wright are not acceptable answers. 

Chris Beard, Bruce Pearl to start the list.

Chris Beard

All I know is having this discussion after every game is tiresome. Yes, we’ve massively underachieved. Yes, player development and quality coaching are often lacking. But Archie is gonna be here for the rest of this year and most likely all of 2021.

All I know is having this discussion after every game is tiresome. Yes, we’ve massively underachieved. Yes, player development and quality coaching are often lacking. But Archie is gonna be here for the rest of this year and most likely all of 2021.

This might be true but if we just sit back and ignore/not discuss then you can add a couple more years to 2021. Pressure starts to build on these boards first. Then pressure builds at games (through both empty seats and boos). Big donors, corporate sponsors start to drop and then IU pays attention. Change comes as a dissatisfied fan base builds momentum and that is tarting to pick up a lot of steam right now.

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

This might be true but if we just sit back and ignore/not discuss then you can add a couple more years to 2021. Pressure starts to build on these boards first. Then pressure builds at games (through both empty seats and boos). Big donors, corporate sponsors start to drop and then IU pays attention. Change comes as a dissatisfied fan base builds momentum and that is tarting to pick up a lot of steam right now.

This reminds me of year 9 Crean already.