Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Maryland - 1/4/20 @ Noon

Trace had 8 shots and Green had 13......

That should definitely be flipped, at a minimum, but Green did have a handful of shots in garbage time. TJD was also in foul trouble and didn’t really look to attack. Hopefully, he’ll learn from this game and realize the physicality of the league.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just watched his post-game presser and he said a few 50/50 balls both ways really changed the game.
He lost me there, we lost by near 30 before their walk-ons came in to finish? Can someone help me out here, did I watch the same game? He may just be searching for answers on some of these tough questions after games like that but that just blows my mind.

We all wanted Archie to be successful. But.... with a statement like that.... he’s more clueless than I thought.
Sad.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Whoozhers said:

We all wanted Archie to be successful. But.... with a statement like that.... he’s more clueless than I thought.
Sad.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Totally agree. I was so excited when they hired him. Was my second choice behind Donovan and as been discussed here that was a pipe dream but those reports of him in Bloomington I thought it was realistic. I just don’t see this being fixed next year and I don’t see how he makes it beyond that at the rate we are going. Just so disheartening

3 hours ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

We did keep Crean for too long, but the chatter about firing him was very prevalent for a long time. Same with Davis. Rightfully so, I’m just pointing out that coaches aren’t oblivious to that. We paid a guy top 10 money and we already have a mob after him. I’m not saying that the complaints are irrational, I’m simply stating that the demand to win immediately makes its undesirable for people. The arguement that money can get us whoever we want is not necessarily true, as evident by who we have now and the amount we had to pay for that caliber

If Miller was doing this at pUKe he'd have to sneak through a lynch mob to get to his office.  They fired Gillespie after 2 seasons and let's not pretend they would've so happily cut ties if he was winning, then went out and got Cal; he wouldn't still be there if he didn't win.

No one here is expecting to go to the Final Four this year, just make the tournament because a 68 team field isn't that difficult.  We're not watching a tournament team, we're barely watching a team that even belongs on the floor.

2 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Totally agree. I was so excited when they hired him. Was my second choice behind Donovan and as been discussed here that was a pipe dream but those reports of him in Bloomington I thought it was realistic. I just don’t see this being fixed next year and I don’t see how he makes it beyond that at the rate we are going. Just so disheartening

In college coaches I wanted either Bennett or Marshall, preferably Bennett, most.  I had Miller in a second group I wanted to see more from, behind Holtmann.

I’ve said this for a while, but if we’re like any program in the country, the best example is probably Penn State football (besides the whole Sandusky scandal). Taking away what McCracken did in the 40s and 50s, IU b-ball dominated the 70s and 80s under one coach like Penn State did, with both programs dropping off around 1994 due to an aging coach refusing to adapt to the current game. Both programs were known for a true student-athlete approach, simple uniforms and playing fundamental ball. Heck, both teams won their last national championship in 1987 as well. 

Penn State has reinvented itself as an “it” program for today’s recruits and young fans. A large part of it is James Franklin’s personality as a player’s coach. I mentioned this in the Fire Archie thread, but IU basketball’s brand is stale. It needs to become cool. Our football team actually has to a degree. I’m not saying we should revamp the uniforms and put player names on it or ditch the candy stripes, but there was a short-lived buzz around IU when Zeller was here that we have not been able to recapture since. It’s not just winning more that’ll help.

Hopefully the new AD will help to rebrand us. IU basketball games should be an event, not just a way to kill two hours. Someone else mentioned it and I agree, but the cheerleaders need to ditch the turtlenecks and 50s style rah-rah demeanor. The student section needs a new approach with more to it than just being “big”. We need to promote bigger personalities who visit campus. Hoosier Hysteria feels like a PTA meeting. 

IU basketball doesn’t need to completely lose its family oriented environment or squeeze out the white haired, red sweater wearing regulars to cater more to out of state students, but it needs some fixing. As the years go by, the old fans and alumni who witnessed the  glory years are going to go away and be replaced by millennials and Gen Z who are having a harder time showing interest in this team. It needs to be addressed now before it becomes what the MLB has become with the generational gap.

Great points. Here are my ideas:

I’d love to put students behind both baskets to make an even crazier atmosphere. Probably difficult to do considering loss of money, but still would be cool

Warm up with mostly rap music. Please. Bands are awesome, and tradition is cool, but most young people (on the team and in the crowd) get more amped to hip hop than bands for sporting events

Renovate the balconies. It’s not good seating, and probably more worth it to watch it on tv. Make them lounges/boxes, put windows on the back wall, concessions up there, something. It’s sucks when the balconies are empty, but I get it.

Timeouts are generally boring. Other programs do a much better job at keeping fans engaged during breaks in action. Ex: Showing Cody Zeller and Oladipo get the crowd pumped, but the Bucetto’s biking advertisement is pointless. Simple trivia questions would be great. Bringing students on to do half court shots would be fun. It’s not that difficult.

The twerps had 25 points off our 14 turnovers. What did we lose by again?

In the past (distant past), after a bad, effortless loss I’d feel sorry for our next opponent because I knew what would happen. Now, I just hope that our players actually show up to the game. What is so hard about competing?!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We did keep Crean for too long, but the chatter about firing him was very prevalent for a long time. Same with Davis. Rightfully so, I’m just pointing out that coaches aren’t oblivious to that. We paid a guy top 10 money and we already have a mob after him. I’m not saying that the complaints are irrational, I’m simply stating that the demand to win immediately makes its undesirable for people. The arguement that money can get us whoever we want is not necessarily true, as evident by who we have now and the amount we had to pay for that caliber

Money is only relevant if we use it to get a top coach. In this case we didn’t. We could pay a high school coach top ten money but that doesn’t mean he is worth it nor will perform like it.

We overpaid, paid a guy that wasn’t ready and are now on the hook for another $10mm to him, kudos to him. I wish I could be average at my job and take in $20mm

Identify the 3 guys you want and pay them whatever it takes. Would Jay Wright leave to come here for $3mm, hell no, but would he consider for $8mm, maybe?

31 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

The twerps had 25 points off our 14 turnovers. What did we lose by again?

In the past (distant past), after a bad, effortless loss I’d feel sorry for our next opponent because I knew what would happen. Now, I just hope that our players actually show up to the game. What is so hard about competing?!

You hadn't heard?  Effort is optional now.

It'd be forgiven if you missed it, only IU got the memo.

I’d love to put students behind both baskets to make an even crazier atmosphere. Probably difficult to do considering loss of money, but still would be cool

Warm up with mostly rap music. Please. Bands are awesome, and tradition is cool, but most young people (on the team and in the crowd) get more amped to hip hop than bands for sporting events

Renovate the balconies. It’s not good seating, and probably more worth it to watch it on tv. Make them lounges/boxes, put windows on the back wall, concessions up there, something. It’s sucks when the balconies are empty, but I get it.

Timeouts are generally boring. Other programs do a much better job at keeping fans engaged during breaks in action. Ex: Showing Cody Zeller and Oladipo get the crowd pumped, but the Bucetto’s biking advertisement is pointless. Simple trivia questions would be great. Bringing students on to do half court shots would be fun. It’s not that difficult.

^this x1,000,000.

Why is it that brown banners board members can come together to create great ideas. And it’s been crickets and cobwebs from the athletic department for 12 years. Everything about the basketball program needs a young fresh breath of air.

I’ll admit. This was my 3rd game this season that I missed. Been a die hard IU fan for going on 37 years now. Used to, the world stops for 2 hours while IU is playing. Well, not anymore. The worst thing about it that bothers me the most is, it doesn’t even bother me that I missed it. Archie has lost me, completely. 100% without a doubt. I’m ready to burn that ship. We have said, maybe next year for nearly 20 years now. 20 years! And I’m beyond tired of it.

We are a mediocre, middle of the road big ten program now and it makes me sick to my stomach. And that’s, at best.

Uh oh here come the traditionalists. I agree with you x110000000 as well

Money is only relevant if we use it to get a top coach. In this case we didn’t. We could pay a high school coach top ten money but that doesn’t mean he is worth it nor will perform like it.

We overpaid, paid a guy that wasn’t ready and are now on the hook for another $10mm to him, kudos to him. I wish I could be average at my job and take in $20mm

Identify the 3 guys you want and pay them whatever it takes. Would Jay Wright leave to come here for $3mm, hell no, but would he consider for $8mm, maybe?

No he doesn’t, why would he leave Villanova, an established program he built, contending for deep runs, for what we are now. They will match an offer. I’m not disagreeing with people not liking Archie, I’m just saying we a lot of people’s expectations of who we can get are not realistic at all. I’m not saying I like it, it’s just where we are. I want IU to be a perennial contender, but we aren’t. And we aren’t going to pull one of these coaches that are always going deep.

No he doesn’t, why would he leave Villanova, an established program he built, contending for deep runs, for what we are now. They will match an offer. I’m not disagreeing with people not liking Archie, I’m just saying we a lot of people’s expectations of who we can get are not realistic at all. I’m not saying I like it, it’s just where we are. I want IU to be a perennial contender, but we aren’t. And we aren’t going to pull one of these coaches that are always going deep.

No we won’t with what we have been doing. That’s the point. Why would calipari leave Memphis after. Finals game and rolling in 5* players to take on Smith and Gillespies garbage? Why, for the money and prestige

Why did Pitino come calling twice when our head coach job was open, for the money and prestige.

Stop playing small ball for a minute and be confident in what we have. We have a ton to offer if we want to

5 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

No we won’t with what we have been doing. That’s the point. Why would calipari leave Memphis after. Finals game and rolling in 5* players to take on Smith and Gillespies garbage? Why, for the money and prestige

Why did Pitino come calling twice when our head coach job was open, for the money and prestige.

Stop playing small ball for a minute and be confident in what we have. We have a ton to offer if we want to

Cal was escaping Sanctions 

We both know money wasn’t what kept Pitino from coming here. Same with Mack. Unfortunately we have a department that refuses to do anything close to playing the game, which prevents us from getting the guys we want. Maybe the new AD changes that, most likely not. I honestly am not trying to argue with you guys, I want us to be successful just as much as anyone. But as we stand right now, we are not a destination for big time coaches, we just aren’t. We have the money but administration won’t allow it for the people we want which is why we have Archie as a top 10 paid guy.