Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Maryland - 1/4/20 @ Noon

Just now, Crimson and Cream said:

A losing streak?

I was being sarcastic as that’s been the narrative after some of these previous debacles. Mainly from OF who has been very quiet recently

I'm an Archie supporter. That was awful.

The sub patterns were mind-boggling. With some of the play, I'm okay with Archie taking out players and using a long bench. The issue I had is he would pull players that were performing well. And some of those line ups had zero options to score.

I've had concerns since the Neb game and I'm not seeing any real improvements.

We need shooters. I'm concerned after 3 years we still don't have anyone that can make the defense honest.

If another coach is the option, I'm concerned IU isn't going to have any great candidates knocking down the door. 

I'll hope it gets better ....

I'm wonder what is really wrong with Phinisee. He has shown himself to be much better than he has played this year. Beyond him, no one is shooting with any confidence and shot selection is pretty bad right now. Trend is not encouraging, but a lot of basketball to be played.

I'm an Archie supporter. That was awful.
The sub patterns were mind-boggling. With some of the play, I'm okay with Archie taking out players and using a long bench. The issue I had is he would pull players that were performing well. And some of those line ups had zero options to score.
I've had concerns since the Neb game and I'm not seeing any real improvements.
We need shooters. I'm concerned after 3 years we still don't have anyone that can make the defense honest.
If another coach is the option, I'm concerned IU isn't going to have any great candidates knocking down the door. 
I'll hope it gets better ....

If we offer this current team (it is a tourney roster if it was well coached) and $5MM a year we could get 95% of current D-1 coaches

If we wait until recruiting is DEAD and our roster is completely rotten and only offer $3MM we will be limited

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

48 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Is this where the eternal pessimists get to call out the eternal optimists because they are nowhere to be found right now?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I put out a milk carton, still no results. If we luck into a 10 pt home lead vs God awful NW, they'll hide from the shadows. However, the naysayers should be around if we luck upon a solid road effort too.

That was a terrible showing in a game that was close in the second half. A few bad things happen (see: guard play) and we just quit. We quit going towards the basket, get upset we don’t make shots, and then quit playing defense. That has to change and it’s Archie’s job to fix that yesterday.

We get to within three then Green goes NYC playground with a bad three. We get a stop and then he has a bad turnover. That’s one our captains and team leaders.

We don’t have enough ballers to get behind and expect to come back from any deficit over a handful of points. This leads into substitutions and lineups.

We can’t have lineups of Davis, Thompson, and Anderson on the court. That’s just asking to get spanked and the twerps did exactly that.

We have to substitute one player out at a time. If TJD or Brunk gets in foul trouble or needs a breather bring Thompson in sub one out. That lineup, preceded by Green’s inability to understand basketball, absolutely killed any shot of us staying in the game.

In the backcourt, we need Phin to get healthy and play a ton of minutes. Green makes boneheaded mistakes. Durham is shaky with the ball, and Franklin isn’t ready for the bright lights in conference.

I did like the fight shown on the offensive boards and play from Brunk. It’s clear that TJD is more talented than Brunk but he hasn’t learned or adjusted to the physicality of the Big Ten.

All of this falls on Archie. He needs to smooth out these rotations. He can’t fail his team by poor substitutions after they’ve fought their way back. He can’t have teams with zero shooters in an era that’s all about shooting. He can’t let his teams continue to lack discipline.

Hopefully, this team finds some way of building by beating a bad Northwestern team at home and competing against O$U at home. I’m not sure how much more of this terrible brand of basketball where it’s okay to go brain dead for long stretches.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

36 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

If we offer this current team (it is a tourney roster if it was well coached) and $5MM a year we could get 95% of current D-1 coaches

If we wait until recruiting is DEAD and our roster is completely rotten and only offer $3MM we will be limited

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not going to argue with you. If that's the route we go, I hope you're right.

Who here still thinks archie gets another year no matter what? He is being paid way to much to miss ncaa and humiliate the fans and players like this. I feel we could make a move this year if it actually gets as bad as it appears

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Sorry thought this was the archie thread

3 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Who here still thinks archie gets another year no matter what? He is being paid way to much to miss ncaa and humiliate the fans and players like this. I feel we could make a move this year if it actually gets as bad as it appears

At least probably 2

5 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Even if the wheels fall off, I find it highly unlikely this administration lets him go. The issue is, we have a luke warm recruiting class coming in next year, and with uncertainty regarding Archies job (if we miss the tourney this year), why would any of the loaded 2021 kids choose IU? Unless Archie turns this year around, I don't think he recovers.  

Just now, coonhounds said:

U think 2 years no matter what or two posters believe he gets another year no matter what?

At lest one more year probably 2 more years. It would be a huge departure for IU to fire him this soon.

13 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Depends on when the new AD gets hired and in place.   That will be the first order of business, to get a Coach who can handle a High D1 program.  Still a lot of season left, but this team sure looks like the last two......just not very good and very poorly Coached.

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

I'm wonder what is really wrong with Phinisee. He has shown himself to be much better than he has played this year. Beyond him, no one is shooting with any confidence and shot selection is pretty bad right now. Trend is not encouraging, but a lot of basketball to be played.

I agree. Just finished listening to Todd Leary and Jim Coyle and they both think something’s up with Phinisee. I want to cheer for this team so much. They cut the deficit to 3 with about 14 minutes in the second half then fell apart...