Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Maryland - 1/4/20 @ Noon

The only thing I will say is if we looked at the schedule at the beginning of the year and were picking W-Ls we would probably have had this team at 11-3 which they are. We Would have had them losing @ Wisconsin, @ Maryland & another random loss. They are basically doing what I and a lot of people thought they would it has just been much uglier and that’s discouraging.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If we offer this current team (it is a tourney roster if it was well coached) and $5MM a year we could get 95% of current D-1 coaches

If we wait until recruiting is DEAD and our roster is completely rotten and only offer $3MM we will be limited

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Not to argue, but I just don’t how true this is in the actual eyes of the candidates some think we should get. When we hired a new coach we made him a top 10 paid coach, and that is who we got. I’ve been a supporter but I will admit I see flaws and concerns but I’m not going to burn the ship. We aren’t going to pull away any of those other coaches in the top 10 salary and if we keep calling for heads 3 years in less and less people are going to want to come and we’ll have to pay top 5 salary for a not guaranteed guy again.

The biggest frustration for me is this year is for the taking. We just don’t have the pieces. You need solid guard play. If we had that, we would be in the mix. There isn’t a GREAT team in CBB this year. I’m hoping Rob gets out of his funk. He is the key. I’m hoping the rotations will tighten up. The rotations and that stupid over hedge are my two biggest issues with Archie in game coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not to argue, but I just don’t how true this is in the actual eyes of the candidates some think we should get. When we hired a new coach we made him a top 10 paid coach, and that is who we got. I’ve been a supporter but I will admit I see flaws and concerns but I’m not going to burn the ship. We aren’t going to pull away any of those other coaches in the top 10 salary and if we keep calling for heads 3 years in less and less people are going to want to come and we’ll have to pay top 5 salary for a not guaranteed guy again.

But we’ve never done that. We’ve never fired a coach after 3 seasons. Hell, we’re known for keeping Crean way too long, that’s what we’re known for, not cutting bait on walking dead coaches

With what we have coming in next year and combine that with another season of not making the tourney, that is the nail in the coffin. We may not fire him but he is a deadman at that point. All those 21’ in-state studs we’ve been hoping for are going to be long gone

If you’re hiring people who don’t understand why a program with standards reasonably moved on from it’s unsuccessful coach after three full years, those aren’t the people you want running your program. If someone feels they need 5+ years to have any progress, there’s a reason for that, whether it be poor track records, lack of self confidence, or both. I'm sure Calipari knew he could be chopped at the drop of a hat like Gillespie was (although he made it very easy for them to fire him). Top coaches aren’t afraid to go after a high profile, high paying job. We’re still high profile, now only because we’re an ex-blue blood seething with desperation.

But we’ve never done that. We’ve never fired a coach after 3 seasons. Hell, we’re known for keeping Crean way too long, that’s what we’re known for, not cutting bait on walking dead coaches

With what we have coming in next year and combine that with another season of not making the tourney, that is the nail in the coffin. We may not fire him but he is a deadman at that point. All those 21’ in-state studs we’ve been hoping for are going to be long gone

We did keep Crean for too long, but the chatter about firing him was very prevalent for a long time. Same with Davis. Rightfully so, I’m just pointing out that coaches aren’t oblivious to that. We paid a guy top 10 money and we already have a mob after him. I’m not saying that the complaints are irrational, I’m simply stating that the demand to win immediately makes its undesirable for people. The arguement that money can get us whoever we want is not necessarily true, as evident by who we have now and the amount we had to pay for that caliber

29 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

We did keep Crean for too long, but the chatter about firing him was very prevalent for a long time. Same with Davis. Rightfully so, I’m just pointing out that coaches aren’t oblivious to that. We paid a guy top 10 money and we already have a mob after him. I’m not saying that the complaints are irrational, I’m simply stating that the demand to win immediately makes its undesirable for people. The arguement that money can get us whoever we want is not necessarily true, as evident by who we have now and the amount we had to pay for that caliber

It’s year three. Expecting wins now is not immediately.

Just now, hoohoome2 said:

I say this all the time.  Proud historically successful programs that can’t get out their own way for 20+ years.

The one difference being that what made Nebraska successful through the 90s is never coming back. IU has all the talent it needs within a 3 drive of its campus. I’d liken this more to where Miami or Tennessee football currently are. 

It’s year three. Expecting wins now is not immediately.

We have 11. I’m not saying that some our losses and play is excusable. Never have said that. Just simply stating that our expectations as to who we can hire are not realistic in 2020. Also not saying Archie is the answer, simply saying that we are paying someone too 10 money and that’s the caliber coach we get for that because of where we are and our demands. Not saying demands are wrong but they come with drawbacks

2 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

The one difference being that what made Nebraska successful through the 90s is never coming back. IU has all the talent it needs within a 3 drive of its campus. I’d liken this more to where Miami or Tennessee football currently are. 

Agree- I just like the Nebraska example because the time period is pretty similar.

23 minutes ago, hoohoome2 said:

Agree- I just like the Nebraska example because the time period is pretty similar.

I’ve said this for a while, but if we’re like any program in the country, the best example is probably Penn State football (besides the whole Sandusky scandal). Taking away what McCracken did in the 40s and 50s, IU b-ball dominated the 70s and 80s under one coach like Penn State did, with both programs dropping off around 1994 due to an aging coach refusing to adapt to the current game. Both programs were known for a true student-athlete approach, simple uniforms and playing fundamental ball. Heck, both teams won their last national championship in 1987 as well. 

Penn State has reinvented itself as an “it” program for today’s recruits and young fans. A large part of it is James Franklin’s personality as a player’s coach. I mentioned this in the Fire Archie thread, but IU basketball’s brand is stale. It needs to become cool. Our football team actually has to a degree. I’m not saying we should revamp the uniforms and put player names on it or ditch the candy stripes, but there was a short-lived buzz around IU when Zeller was here that we have not been able to recapture since. It’s not just winning more that’ll help.

Hopefully the new AD will help to rebrand us. IU basketball games should be an event, not just a way to kill two hours. Someone else mentioned it and I agree, but the cheerleaders need to ditch the turtlenecks and 50s style rah-rah demeanor. The student section needs a new approach with more to it than just being “big”. We need to promote bigger personalities who visit campus. Hoosier Hysteria feels like a PTA meeting. 

IU basketball doesn’t need to completely lose its family oriented environment or squeeze out the white haired, red sweater wearing regulars to cater more to out of state students, but it needs some fixing. As the years go by, the old fans and alumni who witnessed the  glory years are going to go away and be replaced by millennials and Gen Z who are having a harder time showing interest in this team. It needs to be addressed now before it becomes what the MLB has become with the generational gap.

Just watched his post-game presser and he said a few 50/50 balls both ways really changed the game.

He lost me there, we lost by near 30 before their walk-ons came in to finish? Can someone help me out here, did I watch the same game? He may just be searching for answers on some of these tough questions after games like that but that just blows my mind.

2 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Just watched his post-game presser and he said a few 50/50 balls both ways really changed the game.

He lost me there, we lost by near 30 before their walk-ons came in to finish? Can someone help me out here, did I watch the same game? He may just be searching for answers on some of these tough questions after games like that but that just blows my mind.

After last year's loss at Maryland, he went on and on about how he was so proud of the players for "looking like an organized team" after they had blown a 12 point lead. Dakich was relentless with his criticism afterward. 

He's been a different coach since the first season. I can't figure it out. All he seems to do now is praise our opponents and act like we should take pride in having players who know how to breathe.