Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Our bad shooters continue to dominate our shooting

Last year Morgan and Romeo took far too many 3s considering their percentages and once again we have players who percentages do not justify the number of shots they are getting. 

Hunter, Franklin and Damezi are all sub 30% but are our 2nd-4th most prolific shooters on a per 40 minutes basis. Ahead of both Al and Rob who are better shooters. 

This has to stop

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Last year Morgan and Romeo took far too many 3s considering their percentages and once again we have players who percentages do not justify the number of shots they are getting. 

Hunter, Franklin and Damezi are all sub 30% but are our 2nd-4th most prolific shooters on a per 40 minutes basis. Ahead of both Al and Rob who are better shooters. 

This has to stop

Devonte has a 'me first' on court attitude, but RP seems to have developed a 'not me' personality.  He passes up soooooo many open shots, especially when he's missed a couple of shots.

Would love to see plays run for Al, Rob and Green where they are all running off screens for catch and shoot 3s, vs them dribbling aimlessly around the key with nobody moving and them taking a contested step back three at the end of the shot clock.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I really think if Archie doesn’t add another shotmaking guard for next year it will be his undoing. His inability to find/land shooters for us is baffling. I don’t see a great track record so far through shooting development, so I would be extremely hesitant going into next year relying on guys just getting better. 

6 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Would love to see plays run for Al, Rob and Green where they are all running off screens for catch and shoot 3s, vs them dribbling aimlessly around the key with nobody moving and them taking a contested step back three at the end of the shot clock.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yes yes yes 

Also want to point out that I do not have a problem with Green taking 12 shots in a game. I have 100% a problem with Green deciding when to take even a single 3 pointer. 

I’m the future if Devonte is in the game Phinisee has to be in the game. If Phinisee isn’t ready to play more then we need to play Green less. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Also want to point out that I do not have a problem with Green taking 12 shots in a game. I have 100% a problem with Green deciding when to take even a single 3 pointer. 

I’m the future if Devonte is in the game Phinisee has to be in the game. If Phinisee isn’t ready to play more then we need to play Green less. 

The problem IMO is that if Green and RP are both out, our backcourt is Al and Armaan.  I think Green and RP SHOULD be our two guys taking the bulk of our perimeter shots....when Al and Armaan are in I think we have a horrendous perimeter shooting team without a pass first guard to feed it inside.

14 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

The problem IMO is that if Green and RP are both out, our backcourt is Al and Armaan.  I think Green and RP SHOULD be our two guys taking the bulk of our perimeter shots....when Al and Armaan are in I think we have a horrendous perimeter shooting team without a pass first guard to feed it inside.

Yet Al has better shooting percentages across the board than Green and less TO percentages per min played.

Not only is the 3 point shooting horrific, but the decision making in terms of when to chuck one up, exacerbates the problem.. So a team who can't shoot starts putting up treys during really important stretches or in the midst of scoring droughts, instead of looking inside, which is clearly the strength of the team. 

I feel like a broken record because it was the same story last season.. Bad shooting, bad decision making, too many unforced turnovers, leaving shooters wide open on the perimeter.. At some point you've got to re-access the coaching. I'm about there.

34 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Not only is the 3 point shooting horrific, but the decision making in terms of when to chuck one up, exacerbates the problem.. So a team who can't shoot starts putting up treys during really important stretches or in the midst of scoring droughts, instead of looking inside, which is clearly the strength of the team. 

I feel like a broken record because it was the same story last season.. Bad shooting, bad decision making, too many unforced turnovers, leaving shooters wide open on the perimeter.. At some point you've got to re-access the coaching. I'm about there.

Green had a couple of bad shots last game and that is just who he is. But other than Green, who takes bad shots? from what i can see our shots are open shots, they just don't go in. I have never thought our shooting issues were because of bad shots, just bad shooting. 

I mean this team only takes 17 threes a game. Not sure they are chucking them up. 

16 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

On FG%, 3%, and FT% Durham is shooting better than Green.

Green had a couple of bad shots last game and that is just who he is. But other than Green, who takes bad shots? from what i can see our shots are open shots, they just don't go in. I have never thought our shooting issues were because of bad shots, just bad shooting. 
I mean this team only takes 17 threes a game. Not sure they are chucking them up. 

Green’s bad shots and decision making come at the most important times. If he were consistently hitting those shots (see FSU game) then it’ll stretch the lead. When he’s not hitting and continuing to take those shots we lose our lead. He had a ton of assists, on either bad shots or horrific turnovers, for Arky. I know other players are timid to take those shots. We need to work the ball down low or make sure we’re back on defense.

Arkansas didn’t beat us because they are way more talented or better shooters. They beat us because we took bad shots or had unforced turnovers that led to easy transition points for them. That’s why we lost the lead and lost the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On this Hoosier squad, DeVonte Green has a unique ability to create his own shot.

He should be a secondary, or perhaps one of many options in the offense. But, he should be the primary option with less than five seconds on the shot clock.

And...

Jerome Hunter needs to play more  :)

39 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

It seems under the CAM regime, there is no penalty for taking an unwise shot.  I've commented in previous seasons that almost every player seems to think he has the "green light".  For example on Sunday, Race chucked up a "3" out of nowhere.  Knight used to speak about how you get the shots from the right players and I don't think we always do that.

49 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Green’s bad shots and decision making come at the most important times. If he were consistently hitting those shots (see FSU game) then it’ll stretch the lead. When he’s not hitting and continuing to take those shots we lose our lead. He had a ton of assists, on either bad shots or horrific turnovers, for Arky. I know other players are timid to take those shots. We need to work the ball down low or make sure we’re back on defense.

Arkansas didn’t beat us because they are way more talented or better shooters. They beat us because we took bad shots or had unforced turnovers that led to easy transition points for them. That’s why we lost the lead and lost the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I said other than Green though. And like Stuhoo said, he has the ability to create his own shot. I'm not a huge green fan by any means but he can do that and has a knack for it. But he also has boneheaded shot selections i Know.

Again, I am asking who on this team chucks up bad shots? Just because this team cannot shoot does not mean it is taking bad shots. 

58 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

It seems under the CAM regime, there is no penalty for taking an unwise shot.  I've commented in previous seasons that almost every player seems to think he has the "green light".  For example on Sunday, Race chucked up a "3" out of nowhere.  Knight used to speak about how you get the shots from the right players and I don't think we always do that.

Again this team takes 17 threes/game. That is good for 320th in the country. How does that equate to everyone acting like they have the green light? 

THIS team does not have shooters. So by this logic, literally every shot is a bad shot because the person taking it is not the right person.