Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Our bad shooters continue to dominate our shooting

I feel like there is a lot of hyperbole in this thread, which stinks because the OP had a great point. But the idea that everyone has a green light and all Archie's teams do is chuck 3's is completely inaccurate, especially when compared to the previous staff. 

We have two starters (TJD and Brunk) that I don't think have taken a single 3. Smith hardly takes an either. Even Phinisee, who has the ball a lot when he's healthy, doesn't take that many. And as has been noted, IU is near the bottom in the country in 3-pt attempts. 

You'd also think by some comments that IU is 2-11, not 11-2. Should we have beaten Arkansas? Absolutely. Should Nebraska be taking IU to OT at home? No way. Should we blow a double-digit 2nd half lead to ND and have to claw back for the win? No way. But, we're still 11-2 and while there are some concerning signs, this team still holds it's destiny in it's own hands. 

With all of that said, I agree with the OP and many others that IU has got to find a way to make the 3-pt line a bigger weapon offensively. We need the right guys taking them at the right times. We need to take more of them, but again from the right guys. If we're not going to go smaller, then our guards that do shoot adequately need to get more confident and force the defense to respect them out there. 

I also agree with whoever said that if Archie doesn't add some more shooting/playmaking guards that it could be his undoing. We need guys with Green's confidence to shoot but that are better shooters and decision makers than Green. Right now the other guards look almost forced into shooting. 

I feel like there is a lot of hyperbole in this thread, which stinks because the OP had a great point. But the idea that everyone has a green light and all Archie's teams do is chuck 3's is completely inaccurate, especially when compared to the previous staff. 
We have two starters (TJD and Brunk) that I don't think have taken a single 3. Smith hardly takes an either. Even Phinisee, who has the ball a lot when he's healthy, doesn't take that many. And as has been noted, IU is near the bottom in the country in 3-pt attempts. 
You'd also think by some comments that IU is 2-11, not 11-2. Should we have beaten Arkansas? Absolutely. Should Nebraska be taking IU to OT at home? No way. Should we blow a double-digit 2nd half lead to ND and have to claw back for the win? No way. But, we're still 11-2 and while there are some concerning signs, this team still holds it's destiny in it's own hands. 
With all of that said, I agree with the OP and many others that IU has got to find a way to make the 3-pt line a bigger weapon offensively. We need the right guys taking them at the right times. We need to take more of them, but again from the right guys. If we're not going to go smaller, then our guards that do shoot adequately need to get more confident and force the defense to respect them out there. 
I also agree with whoever said that if Archie doesn't add some more shooting/playmaking guards that it could be his undoing. We need guys with Green's confidence to shoot but that are better shooters and decision makers than Green. Right now the other guards look almost forced into shooting. 

Well said

I think the biggest issue is that we start chucking and lose the momentum/game. Not that it happens all game every game. We play smart for long stretches and then just 100% abandon what’s worked and go to a lazy/selfish mode that is baffling.

It usually involves Green

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I said other than Green though. And like Stuhoo said, he has the ability to create his own shot. I'm not a huge green fan by any means but he can do that and has a knack for it. But he also has boneheaded shot selections i Know.
Again, I am asking who on this team chucks up bad shots? Just because this team cannot shoot does not mean it is taking bad shots. 

Absolutely, however, we shouldn’t be going that deep in the shot clock without having fed the post. It seems halfway through the second half we go into stall ball or selfish guard play. I think we would shoot a much higher percentage from deep if we got post touches in the second half. Our guards also need to shoot with more confidence.

Why did Franklin shoot lights out in BLF and can’t hit anywhere else? Part of it is freshman inconsistency but there is a lack of confidence as well. He knew he was going to make them in Indy.

We’re not shot ready or confident. That has to change yesterday. You can see it throughout most games.

It's certainly not only Green that chucks shots up.  Durham has ill advised drives to the basket where he chucks them up too.  I don't hold it against them though.  They're just kids learning how to play the game.  I blame the man we pay millions of dollars to.  He needs to reign them in.

Absolutely, however, we shouldn’t be going that deep in the shot clock without having fed the post. It seems halfway through the second half we go into stall ball or selfish guard play. I think we would shoot a much higher percentage from deep if we got post touches in the second half. Our guards also need to shoot with more confidence.

Why did Franklin shoot lights out in BLF and can’t hit anywhere else? Part of it is freshman inconsistency but there is a lack of confidence as well. He knew he was going to make them in Indy.

We’re not shot ready or confident. That has to change yesterday. You can see it throughout most games.

I so agree with all of this.

But he said we have players continuously chucking up bad shots and it has been a problem throughout Archies tenure. I don’t get it. I’m not seeing it. I see plenty of other issues, but an offense full of shot chuckers? No.

14 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

I so agree with all of this.

But he said we have players continuously chucking up bad shots and it has been a problem throughout Archies tenure. I don’t get it. I’m not seeing it. I see plenty of other issues, but an offense full of shot chuckers? No.

It's not always a matter of quantity, it's a matter of who and when.  Also, we haven't had as many players/shots as last season.  But, guys who don't possess the ability to knock down threes with any kind of consistency have and do put up ill advised shots.  As MikeRoberts said, it's more a problem of when we see such shots - we get in a "funk" and seem to go into some kind of panic mode.  We abandon the game plan and start shooting bad shots.  It makes matters worse when it's a player that isn't a decent shooter or it's a guy that has gone cold (witness Fitzner last season). 

Someone characterized the bad shot selection as "all Miller's teams do is chuck up 3's", which I haven't seen suggested in thread at all.  My point was and is that bad shot selection isn't a coaching issue but rather a discipline issue, two-fold - undisciplined play and players who do so not being held to account because they often repeat the same behavior.

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

When we dont play through the post and our best player then it just comes down to who on the perimeter can get a shot off.

Exactly we have to do a better job of getting Brunk and TJD the ball. If the defense collapses they have to get the ball to Green, Phinisee or Al

It's not always a matter of quantity, it's a matter of who and when.  Also, we haven't had as many players/shots as last season.  But, guys who don't possess the ability to knock down threes with any kind of consistency have and do put up ill advised shots.  As MikeRoberts said, it's more a problem of when we see such shots - we get in a "funk" and seem to go into some kind of panic mode.  We abandon the game plan and start shooting bad shots.  It makes matters worse when it's a player that isn't a decent shooter or it's a guy that has gone cold (witness Fitzner last season). 
Someone characterized the bad shot selection as "all Miller's teams do is chuck up 3's", which I haven't seen suggested in thread at all.  My point was and is that bad shot selection isn't a coaching issue but rather a discipline issue, two-fold - undisciplined play and players who do so not being held to account because they often repeat the same behavior.

Appreciate the discussion. Guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Go Hoosiers, smash the turtles.

2 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

When we say our bad shooters are taking a bulk of our shots who is it again we want shooting? I dont trust a darn person on this team to make a basket consistently

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Al, Rob and Devonte are the only people that should shoot more than 1 three a game. Damezi, Jerome and Armaan can have one and if they hit it they get another. But somebody shooting 20% for the year shouldn’t have 4 attempts. 

Al, Rob and Devonte are the only people that should shoot more than 1 three a game. Damezi, Jerome and Armaan can have one and if they hit it they get another. But somebody shooting 20% for the year shouldn’t have 4 attempts. 

Another interesting note: Al, Devonte, and Rob are all actually shooting BETTER from 3-point range this season than their career averages. (It's true.)

But the 24-110 (22%) from Justin, Armaan, Jerome, and Damezi is killing the overall team 3-point percentage. #iubb
Assembly Call

Overall, Indiana is 346th in the nation in the amount of its offense that is generated from the 3-point line -- just 20.4% of our points. It makes the game so much harder, and gives you so much less margin for error, when you are that low-volume from 3.

Assembly Call

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Another interesting note: Al, Devonte, and Rob are all actually shooting BETTER from 3-point range this season than their career averages. (It's true.)

But the 24-110 (22%) from Justin, Armaan, Jerome, and Damezi is killing the overall team 3-point percentage. #iubb
Assembly Call

If you took all the guys shooting 3s for Virginia last year. I doubt the players shooting less than 33% had fewer than 110 attempts all year. 

The wrong people are shooting. That’s on Archie. Twice Armaan was ran a play for a 3 today. WTF