Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

johnsoniu

Game Thread- Gator Bowl IU vs Tennessee Jan 2, 7 pm EST ESPN

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Who ices their own kicker? Who call a timeout while your RB is running it in for a TD? Who mismanages the clock at the end of the half costing a play to the end zone? Who doesnt have the hands team on the field up 6? what else am I missing?

It's definitely concerning that he continues to make mistakes like this. The conservative style that rears its head late in games is also concerning. He has a lot he needs to work on. 

7 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Who ices their own kicker? Who call a timeout while your RB is running it in for a TD? Who mismanages the clock at the end of the half costing a play to the end zone? Who doesnt have the hands team on the field up 6? what else am I missing?

Prevent defense with 7 minutes to go. Sweeps in the red zone for 5+ yard losses every time. Attempting a 52 yarder with a kicker who is 2-6 with a missed PAT over the previous 2 games. Playing extremely conservative on the second-to-last possession when you could seal the win with a score.

1 minute ago, Alford Bailey said:

I want Tom Allen to recruit and hire a top OC and give a fiery pregame speech and then I want him tied to the bench during the game.

Without ESPN running, you don't even know about a pregame speech....the same damn speech that every coach in America is giving his team pregame.

Prevent defense with 7 minutes to go. Sweeps in the red zone for 5+ yard losses every time. Attempting a 52 yarder with a kicker who is 2-6 with a pissed PAT over the previous 2 games. Playing extremely conservative on the second-to-last possession when you could seal the win with a score.
Should have put Charles Campbell in there to kick that last one

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I put $20 on UT money line in the 4th quarter at +620. I’m pissed we lost, but I’ve been an IU fan long enough to see a collapse coming. At least I can replenish the bourbon I’m about to consume trying to blot this night from my memory. 

1 minute ago, Bigred3588 said:

Prevent defense with 7 minutes to go. Sweeps in the red zone for 5+ yard losses every time. Attempting a 52 yarder with a kicker who is 2-6 with a pissed PAT over the previous 2 games.

We ran one sweep in the red zone (it was actually an end around)....how is that 'every time'?

Logan Justus' 52 yard field goal had the distance and was just wide right.  If Ronnie Walker had fought for a couple more yards there, maybe he makes it.

1 minute ago, maharkn said:

Should have put Charles Campbell in there to kick that last one

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Except Justus had nailed a 50 yarder earlier and was perfect on FG's on the night heading into that last kick. The grief Allen would have taken had Campbell come in and missed...

This team.  This was a great season.  I haven't been able to say that in decades.

Could be argued. Better playmaker on defense in Tracy Porter. An offense that had Kellen Lewis, James Hardy, Marcus Thigpen... id give an edge to 07 just because of the playmakers they had. Something this team just couldn’t consistently find for some reason. Even just one would have changed the whole season. Mainly on defense. It’d be awesome to just have a beastly front 7.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

Biggest mistake?  Not calling last timeout in the first half w 8 seconds to go.  Had plenty of time to take a shot and THEN kick if they missed it.   8 seconds, I think.   Instead?  Let clock get to 0:03 and kick without taking a shot.    Horrid clock management.

Clock management, use of TO's and the onside kick.....These are all on CTA and all proved costly. He really had a game to forget. 

Just now, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Clock management, use of TO's and the onside kick.....These are all on CTA and all proved costly. He really had a game to forget. 

I don't put the onside kick on him.  That was a great call by Tennessee.  If anything, it's on our special teams coach.  Sometimes, teams make great calls.  That was one.   The clock management?  Absolutely on Allen.

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

Biggest mistake?  Not calling last timeout in the first half w 8 seconds to go.  Had plenty of time to take a shot and THEN kick if they missed it.   8 seconds, I think.   Instead?  Let clock get to 0:03 and kick without taking a shot.    Horrid clock management.

Agree.  Think a lot of second guessing going on here, but that one is an obvious play call.

As a for instance of the second guessing going on.....up 13 points, seven and a half minutes left, we have a six yard run and then run on second down.  Nothing wrong with that call given the situation....in fact, we throw an incomplete pass there and people are bitching about not running more time.  The complaint should be about the play execution there that lost two yards, but running the ball on second and four when taking time off the clock was important?  Nothing wrong with that.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

We ran one sweep in the red zone (it was actually an end around)....how is that 'every time'?

Logan Justus' 52 yard field goal had the distance and was just wide right.  If Ronnie Walker had fought for a couple more yards there, maybe he makes it.

The end around was, I believe, a 7 yard loss and there was at least one pitch in the red zone that lost 5 prior to that. Pretty much every attempt we made at getting the ball outside failed (usually for a loss) and yet they continued calling them.

Logan Justus has a career long of 50. Is that really the time to let him attempt a new career long, particularly given his recent history?