Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Arkansas 12/29 @ 6 pm BTN

1 minute ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Do you expect IU to contend for a final four in years 4 and 5 of Archie?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No. But I do expect us to be a tournament team in years 4 and 5. Maybe be competitive for the top 4 in the Big 10 if TJD sticks around. We're a ways off from contending for a final four, imo. 

Do you expect IU to contend for a final four in years 4 and 5 of Archie?

People expect the coach to make good decisions. Yet he’s making the same mistakes he did in his first season. He’s not learned and the players haven’t gotten better under him.

No. But I do expect us to be a tournament team in years 4 and 5. Maybe be competitive for the top 4 in the Big 10 if TJD sticks around. We're a ways off from contending for a final four, imo. 

Well do we want final four caliber teams in year 4 and 5 of a coach? Or should we cut bait?

Next year we lose Green, Davis, maybe one to transfer. I just don’t see how this team gets remarkably better the next 2 years.

Well do we want final four caliber teams in year 4 and 5 of a coach? Or should we cut bait?

Well if we ever want to reach a Final Four ever again, you should probably have a coach who is a good coach. That would be step one.

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Honestly I’d be completely willing to fire Archie and hire Jon Scheyer. You want to sit around an wait to be good? Then we can under him. Or maybe hire an assistant who can actually coach basketball?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Easy to say when you're not the one actually responsible for making the call. This would truly be a balls on fire hire. I'm not even saying you're wrong. I truly find these boards interesting. Everyone thinks they have all the answers. I will give you points for actually giving a name.

That was a hard game to watch and I'm at a loss on what the answer is for this program.

If I could ask Archie one question it would be how do you start your third season at IU with this poor of a group of guards and expect to win?

He tried hard to get better, more guards. Whiffed on at least 3 or 4 of them.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

42 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

How many successful high major guys did not start out as successful mid major guys?

Most of the them fail.  The ones that succeed adapt to power five play.  Crean didn't adapt to the defensive requirements.  Archie hasn't adapted to the offensive requirements.  

3 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Most of the them fail.  The ones that succeed adapt to power five play.  Crean didn't adapt to the defensive requirements.  Archie hasn't adapted to the offensive requirements.  

I think you are missing my point.  OF COURSE the ones that succeed adapt to power five play.....thus, they are successful.  My point is there isn't much movement from power five head coach to power five head coach UNLESS it's what once would consider a step down in caliber....i.e., Tubby Smith from UK to Minnesota and Tom Crean from Indiana to Georgia.

Easy to say when you're not the one actually responsible for making the call. This would truly be a balls on fire hire. I'm not even saying you're wrong. I truly find these boards interesting. Everyone thinks they have all the answers. I will give you points for actually giving a name.
That was a hard game to watch and I'm at a loss on what the answer is for this program.

It wasn’t just this game. But the same crap from year 1 is still here. Including Archie’s decision making. I’ve never seen such terrible substitution patterns. It’s embarrassing. This is now 5 crappy games after FSU. What happened last season? Beat Marquette and looked great and then look bad for 7-8 games straight. And all people said was “well we are still 9-2.”

I don’t have answers either. But Scheyer is going to get picked up by a team eventually unless he’s being groomed to take over when K leaves. But man, we need something to excite the fan base and make it fun to watch the games again.

21 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Of course we want that. I want a final four caliber team right now. But it wouldn't be reasonable to cut bait because we aren't a final four contender at that point. Making the tournament is what we should be focusing on right now, as much as it sucks to say that. 

22 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Next year we lose Green, Davis, maybe one to transfer. I just don’t see how this team gets remarkably better the next 2 years.

We are currently under the scholarship limit by two this year.  We do currently have one scholarship available for next year.....if there a transfer, there would be two.

That said, I don't know that there are 2020 impact guys in which we are high on their board.  Grad transfer shooter is essential.

Al Durham:  ejected
Rob Phinissee:  23 minutes, 1 of 3 from the floor, missed two big technical free throws, 1 assist, 3 turnovers.
Armaan Franklin:  22 minutes, 2 of 8 from the field (0/4 from three), 1 assist, 2 turnovers.
I don't like the me first shot selection that Green takes, but I'm tired of how passive our other guards are.  We have an incredible lack of shooting and the guys who should be our better shooters are incredibly passive.....except Green, who is overly aggressive.  But at the end of the  day, Green was 5/16 and 4/12 from three with 3 assists and 3 turnovers and the rest of the guards were 4 of 13 and 1 of 6 from three with 4 assists and 7 turnovers.  
You aren't going to win games when your guards are 9 of 29 from the field and 5 of 19 from three.  I have been incredibly disappointed in RP this season......he doesn't look for his shot which makes him so much easier to guard.  
There were people who said after Franklin's game against ND that he should be now getting a huge chunk of minutes.  I didn't think he had a 'break out game'.....he had a 'really good game'.  There were no signs prior to that game that he was a solid perimeter shooter so there wasn't really any reason to believe that there was going to be a carry over.
All great points! Our guard play was atrocious and I agree that collectively they made a mess of this game. I guess I have been hoping the the FSU game wouldn't be an outlier with Green. It is so maddening that he has no recognition of time and possession. Your senior has to be able to recognize when the guards need to stop shooting the ball because no one is making anything and to go back to what ALWAYS got us our lead by pounding it inside. He can obviously be so good at times but Green has to LEAD...

Sent from my LM-G850 using BtownBanners mobile app