Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Arkansas 12/29 @ 6 pm BTN

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Dayton, OSU, Butler, Louisville hell even Arkansas all look better off by a good margin and I barely headed east or West of Bloomington. 

It sucks because I like Archie and want him to succeed here. But, ultimately I have no loyalty to him so if he can't get the job done he has to go. The comments about him being handicapped by the higher ups at IU are concerning, but the players are only part of the problem. Coaching has also been lacking this season. We aren't stacked with talent and we have holes in our roster, but we aren't completely devoid of talent either. We have enough talent for a good coach to get the team to the tournament. It remains to be seen whether Archie can do it. I'll be rooting for him. 

2 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

This post should probably go in the Bash Fred Glass thread but the fact that he allowed Crean to tank the APR and then handcuffed Archie’s ability to rebuild the roster is why I am thrilled he is leaving. Archie isn’t a great coach but he has to deal with crap coaches at other schools do not.

Which is why Crean should have been gone after year 7

If Archie can't make the tournament this year, we need to just cut bait and move on. There's no point in waiting another year, or two years, or however long we insist on waiting. I think there will be enough evidence by the end of this season to tell us whether he's up to the challenge or not. 

But this is Indiana, where you have to let a coach fail for 6-7 years instead of 2-3 because...well, you just have to. 

21 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

More like year 3.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

With the wasteland he walked in to, even I wouldn't go that far.  Hell, I was okay ignoring the first 2 years.  He definitely should've been gone a couple years earlier though.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

If Archie can't make the tournament this year, we need to just cut bait and move on. There's no point in waiting another year, or two years, or however long we insist on waiting. I think there will be enough evidence by the end of this season to tell us whether he's up to the challenge or not. 

But this is Indiana, where you have to let a coach fail for 6-7 years instead of 2-3 because...well, you just have to. 

Thats why Im predicting he gets five years

I really wish some of our other guards and wings shot with Green confidence from outside. Not his rate but his confidence. I believe our % would increase and our bigs would have more room to work.

Could you imagine TJD having the space with a Watford, Hulls, and an Oladipo spreading the court for him?! Goodness he’d average close to 20, 10, and 5.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

With the wasteland he walked in to, even I wouldn't go that far.  Hell, I was okay ignoring the first 2 years.  He definitely should've been gone a couple years earlier though.

With what was available for the price and seeing he wasn’t the answer, we could have easily moved on. Stevens was just coming off back to back title appearances. Zeller still would have stayed as Stevens recruited him heavily as well and had a good relationship with him. Meaning Yogi would have still came as well. And we would have been fine. And he may have left still for the NBA, but I don’t consider that to be a bad thing.

I said before the Arkansas game that I like this team and I like these kids. The game, as bad as it was at times, hasn't changed that. The rest of the season, no matter how it turns out, won't change that. I don't understand the win at all costs mentally that seems to take over the dialogue here. These kids are human beings who have chosen to represent IU and we are talking about them, and our coach, as if we'd rather have someone better. They want to win, and so do the kids on the other team. One is going to lose. Maybe I'm too old to have the passion over winning and losing that some do, but I care more about how we get there and the kids than the results at the end of the day. It's a bigger world and there are more important things than this.

16 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I said before the Arkansas game that I like this team and I like these kids. The game, as bad as it was at times, hasn't changed that. The rest of the season, no matter how it turns out, won't change that. I don't understand the win at all costs mentally that seems to take over the dialogue here. These kids are human beings who have chosen to represent IU and we are talking about them, and our coach, as if we'd rather have someone better. They want to win, and so do the kids on the other team. One is going to lose. Maybe I'm too old to have the passion over winning and losing that some do, but I care more about how we get there and the kids than the results at the end of the day. It's a bigger world and there are more important things than this.

Then you were around like me when we were a great program. Been watching some replays of the early 90s teams. This current group and staff are an embarrassment to what was built before them.

14 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Yes, I was. All the way back to the fifties, although I don't remember a whole lot about that time. This is a different time with different kids. Nothing that we did during the Knight years, great as they were, apply now. I just think that the criticism of the coach and the team crosses the line at times. The playing field is not level and I would rather be where we are than play in the mud for mercenaries who only want to punch their ticket to the next level. When we become that, I'll find something else to do.

I want to thank you for your levelheaded approach. I’d like to see more winning, but I totally agree with your last couple sentences. IU as a top “Public Ivy” university with student athletes is always number one; compromising any of that integrity just to win at sports is a dark road to go down. I heard someone mention Pitino here. I’d burn every single piece of IU gear I owned if that happened. We had two decades of dominance, not many schools can boast that, but  I just don’t think it will happen again like we hope. 

On the other extreme, I’d like to win but I don’t like the way the university overcompensates and ties the hands of coaches on every little thing, not to mention this AD search committee and yes-men and all that other bureaucracy that comes along with it. I want to like Archie, but I have serious reservations about him and the admins from the top on down. Time will tell, I suppose. 

2 hours ago, hoohoome2 said:

You’re satisfied with this dog $hit??

No I'm not satisfied. But my expectations was not to be 13-0 right now. I knew coming into this season that there were holes in this team. I knew that guard play would be adequate at best. It's so freaking easy for people to say 'why did we not recruit shooters'. We did recruit them but they chose to go other places. You can only convince a player so much and then the decision is theirs. Archie had offers out to some high level players. They chose elsewhere. If he would not have recruited them choosing instead to go after lower rated ones that may have committed , then this board would be up in arms about not aiming for higher rated ones. Alot of times its a no win situation with posters here. I don't need to get into our teams' goods and bads. Believe me, it is discussed thoroughly enough here. I do know one thing though... a good fan (no slight to you) at least watches the games before offering up their opinions and at least they know what the freaking record is lol!

17 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Yes, I was. All the way back to the fifties, although I don't remember a whole lot about that time. This is a different time with different kids. Nothing that we did during the Knight years, great as they were, apply now. I just think that the criticism of the coach and the team crosses the line at times. The playing field is not level and I would rather be where we are than play in the mud for mercenaries who only want to punch their ticket to the next level. When we become that, I'll find something else to do.

It's not just those two options though.  There's another way.  This way isn't working.  It has turned plenty of people (me included) to find other things to do instead of invest in Indiama basketball.   

We need an X's and O's guy.  This one isn't one.

Then you were around like me when we were a great program. Been watching some replays of the early 90s teams. This current group and staff are an embarrassment to what was built before them.

I mean I was born in Sept of 93’. There’s basically been nothing in my lifetime. Yet here I am as a diehard fan. Some of us are just born in to it. But man, do they make it almost impossible to be optimistic.