Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Arkansas 12/29 @ 6 pm BTN

Just now, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I do not like what I am seeing this year at all. I still want to give Archie four seasons (and certainly see how this season plays out). I don't see how he survives (at least the fans) if we don't make the tournament this year though.

This is where I am at. I really like Archie and the way he goes about running the program and recruiting. But the on the court progression just hasn't been there. 

I am in no way throwing in the towel. I want to see him win and win big. 

I am holding out hope that the program turnaround happens here in January. In Archie's first two years at Dayton they missed the tournament both times and went to the NIT one of those years. In his third year they had a decent non-conference but started the year 11-6. 

After that 6th loss his team went on a run and ended up in the elite eight. Dayton never missed the tournament under Archie again. They were a threat every year to win their league. 

Now obviously I am not saying this is what is going to happen. I am just stating that this is my hope and it shows it is still possible he can get it done here at IU. 

5 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I agree with some of what you are saying but do you consider making the tourney, in year 3, “winning at a high level” ? I don’t see anyone posting we should be in the FF, sweet 16 etc.  The bar has seemingly been lowered to just making the tourney (which is where I am). 

I think we make the tourney this year, I'm not a sky is falling guy. We had many losses like this with Knight back in the day but people just forget those. 

3 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I’m curious. Was it grades, behavior, did he ask for cash? 

Our APR was so low from Crean, that we couldn't force any players to leave or we would be trouble with the NCAA. So Glass told Archie this after he was hired. So by the time we got a scholarship available he had already committed to Colorado. 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Do you know that story of why we weren't allowed to bring him in? People want to blame that on Archie also. 

I don't but would be interested to know. I remember there was a lot of chatter about trying to get him at the time. I also am curious why we couldn't have brought in another player to this years class. All offseason my buddies and I couldn't figure out why you wouldn't try to get a grad transfer shooter since there seemed to be a lack of shooters (which still holds true). Didn't make sense to me but i'm sure I am missing something. 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Do you know that story of why we weren't allowed to bring him in? People want to blame that on Archie also. 

As I remember it, Archie said that if he wanted to come to IU he could but that he had indicated to Wright that he keep his commitment to Dayton.  Anyway, at the time I think Wright’s preference was not to come in in the same year that Phinisee did because of the likelihood of a split in playing time.  Now it obviously looks like he didn’t need to worry about that.

1 minute ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

I don't but would be interested to know. I remember there was a lot of chatter about trying to get him at the time. I also am curious why we couldn't have brought in another player to this years class. All offseason my buddies and I couldn't figure out why you wouldn't try to get a grad transfer shooter since there seemed to be a lack of shooters (which still holds true). Didn't make sense to me but i'm sure I am missing something. 

Grad transfers are harder to get admitted at IU then other places. Something the staff has complained about to Glass and McRobbie to no avail. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don’t care the story of why Archie couldn’t bring in a single player. He’s had years to bring in good guards and hasn’t. Flat out he has not. Right now I see none of our guards that would start for a good team. 

On this, I agree.  And I’m not happy after we whiffed on some 2019s that we didn’t bring in any grad transfers to shore that up.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Why is that?  Purdue hasn’t seemed to have that issue.

We don't treat them as athletes, we just treat them as grad students so IU is very selective on who they let into Grad school. 

We've had the exact same problems for 3 years (bad guard play, can't shoot) and there doesn't look to be anyone coming that will address that.  That has to be a red flag.  Most of the team is his; it's on him.

Yes, Phinisee has been disappointing this year.  Green was never going to be good, his skills are limited and bball IQ doesn't exist, so people shouldn't be surprised there.

Frankly, for being a defensive coach our defense isn't particularly impressive either.

Look, no one expected a big year this year.  Just make the tournament; that's not asking much.  At any of the other blue bloods he'd be on the hot seat right now with what we've seen but we treat making a 68 team field as some sort of big accomplishment.

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

We've had the exact same problems for 3 years (bad guard play, can't shoot) and there doesn't look to be anyone coming that will address that.  That has to be a red flag.  Most of the team is his; it's on him.

Yes, Phinisee has been disappointing this year.  Green was never going to be good, his skills are limited and bball IQ doesn't exist, so people shouldn't be surprised there.

Frankly, for being a defensive coach our defense isn't particularly impressive either.

Look, no one expected a big year this year.  Just make the tournament; that's not asking much.  At any of the other blue bloods he'd be on the hot seat right now with what we've seen but we treat making a 68 team field as some sort of big accomplishment.

So you don't think we will make the tourney?

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Our APR was so low from Crean, that we couldn't force any players to leave or we would be trouble with the NCAA. So Glass told Archie this after he was hired. So by the time we got a scholarship available he had already committed to Colorado. 

However, we could have let our recruits out of their LOI with no apr repercussions.  Apparently Archie thought Durham was better than Wright.