Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Arkansas 12/29 @ 6 pm BTN

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would argue that as a recruit I wouldn't want to come to a town where the fan base acts like idiots after every loss, calling out players or coaches. Or going on social media to trash a recruit who picks a different school. Or going to a school, that is going to fire the coach after 3 years if he isn't winning enough for the fans. 

Pretty sure Bama football does just this after every loss and doesn't affect too much on the recruiting front. Then again they hardly ever lose. I remember the Penn St. QB being threatened too by his own fans yet they will likely have a top 10 recruiting class again. This stuff gets overblown. 

1 minute ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Pretty sure Bama football does just this after every loss and doesn't affect too much on the recruiting front. Then again they hardly ever lose. I remember the Penn St. QB being threatened too by his own fans yet they will likely have a top 10 recruiting class again. This stuff gets overblown. 

Yeah, Indiana basketball and Alabama football were a lot alike. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Were not on their level anymore and haven't been for years. 

We were when they fired Billie Gillespie after just two years at the helm.  They went big and succeeded.  For some reason some of you want to stay bad.

2 hours ago, hoosierdaddy_72 said:

This is ridiculous.  Archie said in his introductory press conference that HIS top recruiting priority was in-state.  The idea that a fanbase has any influence is myopic nonsense.

This couldn't be more wrong. This fanbase truly believes the only way for us to get back to greatness is the inside out approach. Lack of in-state recruiting was probably the top factor for Crean losing the fans outside of the inconsistency.

Just now, Josh said:

We were when they fired Billie Gillespie after just two years at the helm.  They went big and succeeded.  For some reason some of you want to stay bad.

Yeah we fired Crean and look at all of the big names who wanted the job. None. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Yeah, Indiana basketball and Alabama football were a lot alike. 

Fanbase isn't the problem. Recruits pick the coach/program these days. Social media has created negativity everywhere with every school and its fans. You get an impact coach in here who can recruit and we will start producing top 10 classes. Problem is we haven't been able to do that consistently at all since the cheater Sampson. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Everybody has a price.  Come on man.  You may be happy with mediocrity,  but some of us are not.  We ain't getting anywhere with Archie.

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would argue that as a recruit I wouldn't want to come to a town where the fan base acts like idiots after every loss, calling out players or coaches. Or going on social media to trash a recruit who picks a different school. Or going to a school, that is going to fire the coach after 3 years if he isn't winning enough for the fans. 

Have you read some of these threads? The trashing of a recruit is not limited to social media. Just this past week Brooks was getting trashed on this very forum as if he wouldn't be of help to our Hoosiers. I'd take him in a heartbeat with what I saw last night. I may just be frustrated with that collapse in the final 8 minutes, but I think we could use him along with several others we missed out on. We need some talent badly, in my opinion.

Just now, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Fanbase isn't the problem. Recruits pick the coach/program these days. Social media has created negativity everywhere with every school and its fans. You get an impact coach in here who can recruit and we will start producing top 10 classes. Problem is we haven't been able to do that consistently at all since the cheater Sampson. 

Who is this impact coach who wants to take this job? 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

This is the most telling sign of them all. There's a serious problem and no one wants a part of it.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Everybody has a price.  Come on man.  You may be happy with mediocrity,  but some of us are not.  We ain't getting anywhere with Archie.

What big names were even mentioned? Holtman and Marshall were probably the only other two legitimate names that came up.

Just now, Walking Boot of Doom said:

What big names were even mentioned? Holtman and Marshall were probably the only other two legitimate names that came up.

And Holtmann was most assuredly not a big name back then.

Said the same thing after another game, but 11-2.

Unfortunately, Devonte has not grown. Phin has not shown up this year, but I still have confidence he'll be an excellent upperclassmen. TJD potential departure is a major concern. Going to take big improvements from Al, Phin, and Armaan for us to have success this year and next.

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

It's all hearsay.  Just like the rumor that the money was there for Donovan, but McRobbie didn't want an expensive coach.

Show the money and they will come.

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Holtman was mentioned but he didn't want any part of this. I'm not leaving my current job to go to a place where I have 3 years to win at a high level with someone else's recruits or I will be fired because the fans aren't happy. No thank you

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Said the same thing after another game, but 11-2.

Unfortunately, Devonte has not grown. Phin has not shown up this year, but I still have confidence he'll be an excellent upperclassmen. TJD potential departure is a major concern. Going to take big improvements from Al, Phin, and Armaan for us to have success this year and next.

11-2 is a mirage. This BIG season is going to get ugly fast. And I'm sure folks would be more optimistic if we had a killer recruiting class next year to potentially pair with some of the parts from this season. Unfortunately, Archie doesn't look to have assembled something that will be impactful off the bat.