Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Arkansas 12/29 @ 6 pm BTN

Not shooting the messenger but what kind of thigh bruise stops you from playing?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I am with you there. I don’t know if they have to be extra cautious with whatever his situation was? We seem to be overly cautious as a whole so no clue.

12 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Not shooting the messenger but what kind of thigh bruise stops you from playing?

Considering that he had tremendous blood clot issues in his legs last year, I think they are going to be pretty precautionary with any bruising.

"We had enough to win it," Miller said. "It shows the tide can turn quickly. We have to mature and grow up, run good offense, communicate on defense."

"It's a similar theme for this team – we need better execution in the half court, better defense in covering the three-point line," Miller said.

"We can't let our offense affect our effort level. We had a few guys let things bother them. We weren't dialed in. We weren't sharp."

“You're up 11, win the game," Miller said. "Do a good job. Control what you can control.

"(In the second half), we did not run good offense. We didn't run the floor hard enough. We'll get better. We have a good group. It's humility. It's a wake-up call. Let's go."

It’s a similar theme for “this team”.?!?!????
Who is responsible for making “this team” better? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

11 hours ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

It seems like we took at least 10 of those then with 10ish minutes to go in the game and a 7ish-9ish point lead, and a huge advantage under the basket. 

11 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

We didn’t.  You can check the game log.  

We took 8 in the last 8 minutes.  Not sure if you checked the game log before you suggested I check the game log.  Maybe you read the wrong one.  If you google arkansas indiana box score the previous two games from last year come up.  Maybe you read the game log from one of those two games.  I doubt you are just posting to start an argument, but if you are, I do not intend to get into one of those dumb Monday morning semantics arguments over this either.  You probably are not doing that, but just in case. :120: 

The point I was trying to make was that the offense was launching a lot as Indiana slowly but surely lost the lead, and the offense was not going inside where the team had been successful with mismatches underneath the basket enough after amassing the nice lead.  I think we can agree with those two statements.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Whoozhers said:

"We had enough to win it," Miller said. "It shows the tide can turn quickly. We have to mature and grow up, run good offense, communicate on defense."

"It's a similar theme for this team – we need better execution in the half court, better defense in covering the three-point line," Miller said.

"We can't let our offense affect our effort level. We had a few guys let things bother them. We weren't dialed in. We weren't sharp."

“You're up 11, win the game," Miller said. "Do a good job. Control what you can control.

"(In the second half), we did not run good offense. We didn't run the floor hard enough. We'll get better. We have a good group. It's humility. It's a wake-up call. Let's go."

It’s a similar theme for “this team”.?!?!????
Who is responsible for making “this team” better?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Miller is responsible.  Crap like this has been happening all 3 years with little sign of change and still no shooters on the horizon, but I'm sure the common issues aren't because of him (spoiler, yes it is).

Some don't want to put the onus on the guy paid millions to fix this nonsense.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

There's no post-game coach quote that will be sufficient to satisfy; that's not the problem. Archie's take on how and why we fell apart in the last six or seven minutes of the game is not the problem.

The absolutely horrendous guard play and less than acceptable outside shooting on the roster are the primary problems.

The issue is he says the same things after every loss but never bothers to address it and stop it from happening again. 

24 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

We took 8 in the last 8 minutes.  Not sure if you checked the game log before you suggested I check the game log.  Maybe you read the wrong one.  If you google arkansas indiana box score the previous two games from last year come up.  Maybe you read the game log from one of those two games.  I doubt you are just posting to start an argument, but if you are, I do not intend to get into one of those dumb Monday morning semantics arguments over this either.  You probably are not doing that, but just in case. :120: 

The point I was trying to make was that the offense was launching a lot as Indiana slowly but surely lost the lead, and the offense was not going inside where the team had been successful with mismatches underneath the basket enough after amassing the nice lead.  I think we can agree with those two statements.

Cheers.

I believe that 4 of the 8 were in the last 90 seconds when we were trying to catch up.  The point was that it seems like you are taking a ton of threes when you aren’t making any.  

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The issue is he says the same things after every loss but never bothers to address it and stop it from happening again. 

Sure enough.

My point? Don't take offense (not you Brass, generally) with what Archie is saying or his demeanor; take offense with the guard play and lack of shooting-roster construction.

DeVonte Green was absolutely horrendous last night. He's our best shooter, but his decision making was atrocious. Franklin was pretty much just as bad, but he's a freshman that's gonna be an excellent player and was put in that position because Al Durham's five seconds of horrendous decision making hurt the team so so much. 

In other words, our two upperclassman guards were terrible.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Sure enough.

My point? Don't take offense (not you Brass, generally) with what Archie is saying or his demeanor; take offense with the guard play and lack of shooting-roster construction.

DeVonte Green was absolutely horrendous last night. He's our best shooter, but his decision making was atrocious. Franklin was pretty much just as bad, but he's a freshman that's gonna be an excellent player and was put in that position because Al Durham's five seconds of horrendous decision making hurt the team so so much. 

In other words, our two upperclassman guards were terrible.

Still Archie’s job if you are trying to say it’s the players fault. Devonte is what Devonte is. It’s not a secret. Archie plays him. Either because he’s the best bad option (failure in recruiting) or because he shouldn’t play him ( failure in coaching). 

22 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

It's good to see our FTs have improved, still only 161st nationally in FT% though.

20 hours ago, Demo said:

Isaiah Joe shot north of 40% from 3 last year. So far this year he’s shooting south of 35%. He’s gonna bust out on somebody.   Needs to not be today.

I haven't read through this thread... I missed the game live and had to watch it late last night on DVR (although I already knew the outcome)..... but the first thing I see in this thread are these 2 comments... and it really hurts the soul....

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

The absolutely horrendous guard play and less than acceptable outside shooting options on the roster are the primary problems.

We're in year 3 and this is still a problem, and no sign of help on the horizon; this isn't a new problem.  That is a failure on Milller's part.

You're right Green was horrendous, for the umpteenth time in his career, yet he's still starting and still getting more minutes then he should.  That's either a coaching failure, Miller's fault, or a recruiting failure, still Miller's fault.

50 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Still Archie’s job if you are trying to say it’s the players fault. Devonte is what Devonte is. It’s not a secret. Archie plays him. Either because he’s the best bad option (failure in recruiting) or because he shouldn’t play him ( failure in coaching). 

Ding ding ding.

13 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He tried hard to get better, more guards. Whiffed on at least 3 or 4 of them.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

This is where I think people are underestimating the possibility Archie takes another job.  Per another board, he's perplexed how hard it is to get elite talent to Bloomington.

If he had his way, the roster would have Lester Quinones and DJ Carton on it, with Dawson Garcia coming next year.  Also Keion Brooks Jr whose ceiling is still high despite lackluster production.

But, the pressure to win is still there.  And the noise gets louder with every loss. So if you're at a school that isn't willing to play the game, but the pressure to win is extremely high, how is that going to make you feel as a coach?  I believe that all coaches, Tom Crean and Archie Miller included, want to "play the game" because they know 3 things:

• Everyone else is doing it
  • They're here to win basketball games
  • It makes their job easier

So if he's hamstrung by an athletic department but under immense pressure to put together great teams, what are you going to do?  Sounds like an awfully tough job to me.